The Student Room Group

scared of dying

im worried that when i die everything will be scary. I mean you know when you get that sleep paralysis thing? maybe its like that and dunno about you lot but i just wouldnt be able to cope its terrifying! What if somehow your brain stays awake (even if no brain activity is detected) and your secretly struggling and panicking like hell?
Im not trying to be stupid im just worried the actual dying process will be like that.
Also does anyone else visulize what its like to be run over or somethin and injured and can sense the confusion and panic of the person?

I know my mind is strange but this is the only way to get across the terror that goes on inside my head lol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yea, you do sometimes wonder whether someone who "dies peacefully in their sleep" is actually experiencing a really agonising death, trapped inside their own mind and unable express it to the outside world! Who knows, eh?
Reply 2
*gives prescription*

It says: watch the entire back-catalogue of Woody Allen films

If you haven't cheered up/become obsessed with such minute details that death is less of a worry, come back to me.
I am terrified of even getting to 30 because I know it's closer to dying. I don't think you can die peacefully, because your heart's gonna stop beating... that's gotta hurt right?? I wish I could know so I knew what to expect, but I suppose it's silly to worry about it now. We will never know!!
Reply 4
muncrun
Yea, you do sometimes wonder whether someone who "dies peacefully in their sleep" is actually experiencing a really antagonising death, trapped inside their own mind and unable express it to the outside world! Who knows, eh?

why?? i was already scared enough of death as it was, now im terrified
Reply 5
glad you don't all think im strange :smile: (unless you already did!)

but i also dont understand how people with say epilepsy or who have blackouts dont panic. I mean ive blacked out a few times due to say 2 consecutive all nighters lol or some other reason and i panicked like mad inside (while acting calm) both prior blacking out and coming round i was confused as hell. For several months after i had panic attacks and all sorts in case somethin bad like that was gonna happen.
However normal folk just dont panic and get on with life :confused:

Thing is i love dangerous sports and stuff but the anxiety with it is a lot more pleasant than say panic attack anxiety

(an insight into my twisted mind) :biggrin:
Sometimes I find the thought terrifying, yet other times I feel really calm about it, in a sort of 'hey it's going to happen, lets not worry too much' sort of way. Actually, I've been plagued with existential angst for a while now, but in a nice way.
don't worry, I think you're strange :biggrin:

what's to fear about that sort of thing? nothing you can do about it unless you want to fund research into it - you might as well worry about a damn great comet crashing into us.
Reply 8
I'm more scared of going blind than I am of dying.
gonnabavet
but I suppose it's silly to worry about it now. We will never know!!

ya will one day!! :p:

On a more serious note, I watched my grandmother pass away 4 weeks ago, and it was like she was suffering, not being able to breath and all, then she looked around the room and died, very wierd if you look into it, it made me view death in a different light.
Reply 10
it's better not to think of these things, believe me. The more you think about death, the bigger a thing it becomes. Think about puppies and happiness. and Woody Allen
Reply 11
It only scares me in an existential sort of a way - there's nothing I can do about it, it's going to happen, and as far as my beliefs are concerned I don't think anything is going to be happening to me afterwards! Which is kind of depressing or kind of uplifting depending on how you look at it...

Yes, it is a horrible thought, and it's something that's very easy to dwell upon because it's such a HUGE thing. But it's going to happen, whether it hurts or it doesn't, and every minute you spend thinking about it, you're loosing a minute which you could have spent doing whatever the hell you want.
Reply 12
im not afraid of the process of dying,
dont u find being dead is a much scarier thought? imagine never feeling or being conscious of anything again??
this is probs wierd but im scared of even reaching my 18th birthday cos i'll feel old,
it will just go downhill from there, wrinkles, cellulite, getting boring and fat, and other disgusting old peoples problems
The brain will slowly decay, don't worry. :wink:
Reply 14
perkyDani
im not afraid of the process of dying,
dont u find being dead is a much scarier thought? imagine never feeling or being conscious of anything again??
this is probs wierd but im scared of even reaching my 18th birthday cos i'll feel old,
it will just go downhill from there, wrinkles, cellulite, getting boring and fat, and other disgusting old peoples problems

What's so terrible about that? (to paraphrase Seneca) you felt no pain or suffering before you were born, why should death be terrible? is it worse for a candle after it is extinguished than before it is born?
perkyDani

methinks a change in viewpoint would be a good idea. Discarding the afterlife business, imagining such a thing is useless because it is beyond our conception - in the same way that we cannot imagine in five dimensions or what a limpet thinks.
Reply 16
jd27
What's so terrible about that? (to paraphrase Seneca) you felt no pain or suffering before you were born, why should death be terrible? is it worse for a candle after it is extinguished than before it is born?

good point!

also the comment about the brain decaying was good too
Best thing to do? Jump out into space naked. You'll just pop :smile:
Reply 18
What freaks me out is. If there isn't anything after death then im dead, theres nothing. For some reason I can't comprehend, nothing, no me, nothing around me, no mind no body no spirit. Its weird

I envy people who think it'll be all good after death
Reply 19
A lot of people worry about many different things. Death has to be one of the most common because there's so much that is unknown about it. I don't mean to make you worry about it even more, but we are all approaching death. It is the only thing that is guaranteed. But the more time you spend worrying about it, the less time you actually spend living life. Let's face it... If we die an agonising death, is that any worse than most things in life? Yet they are bearable.
If all else fails go and read 'Mort' by Terry Pratchett. Or any of the Discworld novels with Death in. Or 'Dead Like Me'... Or repeatedly watch the new Grolsch advert with Death in. Or there's Woody Allen films, or any selection of Anime that involves breasts, underwear, guys turning into girls, ducks turning into girls, basically all anime!

Latest

Trending

Trending