Turn on thread page Beta

how will i do it?????? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i don't actually know how i'm gonna get to uni! or if at all! i'm due to start in 2006 (am in my first yr of college atm) and so far have got really good grades. the thing i can't get round my head round is the financial side. I can't apply for a grant and the loan won't cover all my costs. I've looked at options such as stayin at home and moving away, but it seems impossible! any tips/ advice???

ReputationRep:
    You're in the same situation as everyone else surely?

AFAIK from 2006 you won't have to pay fees upfront...so your loan will only have to cover the same costs as it does at the moment - accommodation, food, travel, going out etc etc and most people seem to manage ok .

ReputationRep:
    so i'm not just bein paranoid? o rite thanx

ReputationRep:
    erm get a job perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    You will pay the tutition fees after you graduate and when you are earning more than 15,000 quid a year.

ReputationRep:
    I've had to work through my first year as my loan doesn't even cover the cost of my halls...doesn't help being in London though!

ReputationRep:
    I worked for a year before going to uni and i'm working this summer for most of it. I'm entitled to everything (tuition fees paid, grant) and i'm still trying to make ends meet. You just make the best of it.

ReputationRep:
    thinki i may need to get a new job! i work weekends and only get £3.85 an hour!!! i won't be able to survive lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    thinki i may need to get a new job! i work weekends and only get £3.85 an hour!!! i won't be able to survive lol!
    Deffo get a new job! Thats slave labour! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I agree – that’s appalling pay! Are they alloweed to pay you so low an amount as that?!

ReputationRep:
    It'll be fine as long as you're not a major spender, relax. I started with nothing so I'm actually better off with my student loan now :p:

ReputationRep:
    Like the other posts say, Im just gonna get myself a full-time summer job and part time job term-time to help my funds! It can be done cos look how many people go to uni now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    i get £3.00. no joke.

i do get about £10 worth of tips a day though and I really enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *steph 247*)
    i get £3.00. no joke.

i do get about £10 worth of tips a day though and I really enjoy it!
    Where on earth do you guys work?! Am I missing something but surely that's below the minimum wage? I get £5.50 and I'm complaining that's not enough! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca/Becca)
    I wish I got £5.50! I get £4.85 + tips (average £7/week) at my waitressing job. There is a café where I live and the starting wage is £2/hour. That is just wrong.
    No way! Sure that's illegal! But hey what do I know about all the whole minimum wage stuff because I'm so un-knowledgeable!

ReputationRep:
    you are only eligable for the minimum wage if you are over 18.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I agree – that’s appalling pay! Are they alloweed to pay you so low an amount as that?!
    i'm not 18 yet so i guess they can! grr!

ReputationRep:
    I work every summer, christmas and easter to pay for uni. I earn about £7 an hour. I don't work during term-time though because I feel that would be too distracting.

I also get tuition fees paid and the full loan but still struggle. It doesn't help that my rent this year was £85 a week though! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    I work every summer, christmas and easter to pay for uni. I earn about £7 an hour. I don't work during term-time though because I feel that would be too distracting.

I also get tuition fees paid and the full loan but still struggle. It doesn't help that my rent this year was £85 a week though! :eek:
    Mine was too! :eek: Will be next year as well.

ReputationRep:
    If you feel it may be that much of a struggle it may be worth taking a year out and working.
    That's what I did and I feel it was a good choice. I should be able to go to uni without worrying about the costs too much and got some really good work/life experience.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.