Turn on thread page Beta

Dentists (High Requirements) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Taken from the NHS Careers Website:

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS TO BECOME A DENTIST

What qualifications do I need to become a Dentist?

Applicants will usually need 3 science A levels at grades AAA to ABB, including Chemistry, or 2 science A levels including Chemistry and Maths, as well as supporting GCSEs (A - B)

A very high entry requirement, and why chemistry?!

(Although the salary comes to £24,587 - £90,838)

ReputationRep:
    Demand.
    20 years ago dentisty used to be for those not bright enough for Medicine. But now the amount of people in higher education has increased, and hence there is more demand.

Can't see why dentistry is so appealing to people. Money must be the only perk of the job? 7 or so years of study, massive student debts, all to spend the subsequent 40 years staring into people's mouths.

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    Can't see why dentistry is so appealing to people. Money must be the only perk of the job? 7 or so years of study, massive student debts, all to spend the subsequent 40 years staring into people's mouths.

Maybe cuz almost everyone had teeth problems. LOL.

Zain

ReputationRep:

indeed it is true. I had my work experience at dental practice. god, i m so sorry for them. their jobs are sooo boooring.

ReputationRep:
    \true\\\\ \!

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I don't think I could stand being a doctor, dentist or a nurse. I really can't stand the thought of having to be around sick people, death, pain, suffering.

ReputationRep:
    in my opinion, i like working in that environment....100 thank you everyday would make me feel complete...knowing that you are helping them improve physically!!! great and rewarding career...

ReputationRep:
    True. I'm sure it is a very rewarding career. However, if watching Casualty and ER is enough to make me feel like throwing up, then what would it be like in real life for me?

ReputationRep:
    the way i look at it is that a dentist must have the worst job in the world, nobody is ever happy to see them, and hardly anyone leaves with customer satisfaction

ReputationRep:

In a word, it tends to be money (from the dental students I've spoken to at our place) - most dentalists turn to private practice, which is lucrative.

However, conversly it's reputed to be a lonley profession with a high suicide rate...

ReputationRep:
    i once wnted to become a dentist but now i am havuing second thoughts basically it's the studying seven yersa plus i on't have the slightest clue about tteth just thought hey it pays a lot plus the ahifts ain't so strenous or long but they are tedious but i'll get over that however i thought u only get one life and i wnna do something that i enjoy rather than waht i have to .but i'm still undecided however if the morvoregea(sorry i misplet it) genuinally wants to become a dentist then no obstectls or anythin u say will put her off

i must say u do have a high opinion of urself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    In a word, it tends to be money (from the dental students I've spoken to at our place) - most dentalists turn to private practice, which is lucrative.

However, conversly it's reputed to be a lonley profession with a high suicide rate...
    some how the bit about lonlliness does make sense to me it kinda works out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    True. I'm sure it is a very rewarding career. However, if watching Casualty and ER is enough to make me feel like throwing up, then what would it be like in real life for me?
    Still preferable to Medicine, I should imagine. :rolleyes:

Try watching 'My Family' without throwing up (on a point entirely unrelated to suitability for dental practise).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    Demand.
    20 years ago dentisty used to be for those not bright enough for Medicine. But now the amount of people in higher education has increased, and hence there is more demand.
    Surely you mean 'because', and not 'hence'; unless, of course, you're able to reference a tangible correlation between higher education and tooth decay. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    dentistry, in my opinion, is a profession to go into soley for the money. lower entry requirements than for medicine (many rejected medical school applicants do dentistry). perks are good degree, good starting salary (higher than doctor's), 9-5 working hours, however, its a very boring, lonely job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sio_mileage)
    dentistry, in my opinion, is a profession to go into soley for the money. lower entry requirements than for medicine (many rejected medical school applicants do dentistry). perks are good degree, good starting salary (higher than doctor's), 9-5 working hours, however, its a very boring, lonely job.
    That's total crap about rejected med applicants doing dentalism. For many schools the entry grades are the same for both courses ABB (excluding UoL schools and OxBridge), and with fewer places for dentistry available compared to medicine, you're likelihood of getting into med school is probably higher than that for dental school!

ReputationRep:
    Agree with Fluffy - I am doing dentistry and I'm not a medicine reject - I didn't apply for medicine nor did I want to do it. Here are Sheffield there are about 70 places in my year for dentistry compared to 260-ish for medicine in the first year. You do the maths.

ReputationRep:
    But she's right in saying that its a lonely profession - dentists have the highest suicide rate than in any other job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da Mouse)
    But she's right in saying that its a lonely profession - dentists have the highest suicide rate than in any other job.
    As I've already said...

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerHow to become an online tutorCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.