girls-mooncup? Watch

This discussion is closed.
northern_lass
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
think ill read ur review n if ther ne good, mite go 4 it! it would work out a lot cheaper, towels n tampons are soooooo expensive!! men are lucky!
magiccarpet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by lessthanthree)
they're £17.99 - but what the hell, if if's crap, I'll kick up a stink and demand a refund, and if it's good, then I'll save on the FIVE POUNDS I'VE JUST SPENT ON TAMPONS AND TOWELS. :mad:

-I don't see why anyone should be scared - they can't actually hurt you.
in the long term it would work out much cheaper- if it lasts over 4 months you will begin saving £££.

but its big to stuff up the holeoley so will break the hymen then you cant get marriada
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by magiccarpet)
in the long term it would work out much cheaper- if it lasts over 4 months you will begin saving £££.

but its big to stuff up the holeoley so will break the hymen then you cant get marriada
What!!

Tampons break most girls hymens.
My hymen was broken ages before i had sex.
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
tis best not to take risks of remaining solamente todos los anos
Apricot Fairy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't know how you know, but I think mine must have been too, because my first time didnt hurt at all, and my boyfriend was fairly big.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I had a smear before I had sex and that didn't kill that much so I presume I couldn't have had a hymen by then. I didn't bleed during sex anyway. It did hurt though but as I've said before I don't think that was hymen related thats just me.
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by *steph 247*)
I've read bout these, they look really good! If you're in public loos they say you can just wipe them clean with tissue or you can carry a bottle of water with you. I guess you've just gotta make sure you clean it properly when you get home.

I'm in the same situation of not having money at my disposal...
doesnt it be dangerous for toxic shock sydrome to have it staying in the body?
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You can't get tss from a mooncup or at least its very unlikely I don't think there have been any reported cases. It says it isn't associated with it.
Ditzy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by magiccarpet)
doesnt it be dangerous for toxic shock sydrome to have it staying in the body?
Surely not so long as you change it regularly.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
You can't get tss from a mooncup or at least its very unlikely I don't think there have been any reported cases. It says it isn't associated with it.
It says something similar on tampon boxes.

Meh, it just seems inhygenic...
covered farm wagon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
A couple of my friends have them! And they say only good things about them. Something to think about, though, is the bathrooms in student halls, if that's where you're living, because one of my friends who has one doesn't use hers at uni because the toilet room and sink room are separate, so to clean it properly would involve carrying it out at the risk of other people seeing it, which I can't imagine they'd want to. Otherwise, they look like a good investment - if I had sensible periods, I'd get one (came off the injection at Christmas and things are not back to normal yet).
marychrist
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
mmooncup scares me. I won't even use a tampon, not even those mini ones. : /
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by marychrist)
mmooncup scares me. I won't even use a tampon, not even those mini ones. : /
Why won't you use a tampon?
pixie05
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
oh my god...I'm sorry, but that just sounds like the most repulsive thing ever...
marychrist
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Why won't you use a tampon?
just because I'm rubbish and scared of them and can't figure out how to use them properly so I just stick with sanny pads.
Adarah
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by lessthanthree)
Okay, I just bought one.

I'll do a write-up for it next month.
sounds interesting... never heard of them before, look forward to your opinion on them. Although it's no good for uni it seems (like I'm not going for ensuit), but after that maybe...

marychrist - I know just what you mean, I didn't use them for ages myself, because my mum was not the best person to explain 'those kind of things', eg.: "you should try and use tampons, they are much better..." but then she'd be on about having to be really relaxed or it'll hurt and all that rubbish and making me really scared basically.
it doesn't hurt though as long as you stick them in far enough and don't leave them in for ages when you have a weak period - try them, it doesn't hurt, but use the mini ones at first, when you have a heavy period (easier to get them in then).
Ellie4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
*Is perfectly happy with her tampons*
Piggsil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It looks scary to me. I won't go there.
Flicker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i've got one! i only got it a couple of weeks ago but i used it a bit last period. they do take a bit of getting used to but personally i could see no reason not to at least try it - i was told by a friend that if you don't like it after 3 cycles you can get a refund from mooncup anyway, and the initial price is the only con. it will pay for itself in around 6 months if you think about the amount we spend on alternative sanitary protectino. also they are much better for the environment and for your body - no chance of chemicals leaching into your body as with tampons, and no chance of toxic shock syndrome either.

it was bigger than i expected but it's soft plastic so you fold it in half then half again to insert. (and you can use a bit of KY jelly too if you need) it kinda all pops back out when it's in. you don't put it in as deep as you would with a tampon either. it forms a seal against the vagina walls and so it can't tip up or spill and you're set to go!

to take it out there is a cord on the bottom, but it's easier if you hold the bottom of the cup and squeeze it a little to break the seal, then you pull it out first one side then the other while you're sitting on the loo so you can just tip it away.

if you can you rinse it out every time you change it, but if you can't then you can just wipe it out with tissue paper and then wash it next time. you boil it regularly too to sterilise to get rid of any nasty bacteria.

i can't remember how much the cup holds but it's something like 1/3 of the average entire flow (ie 1/3 of 5 days worth). it's recommended you change it as often as you would a tampon/pad at first but then you'll gain an idea of how regularly you need to. as there's no risk of toxic shock syndrome you can leave it in longer if you wish so it's safer overnight.

you can trim the cord so it doesn't protrude - this was the only issue i had, that the cord is plastic so if it is not completely inside you it sticks out a bit and makes you a bit sore, but as i'm only just starting out i don't want to cut the cord off until i'm sure i've got it in the right place.

I particularly wanted to try them because my periods are fairly light and so tampons can be painful to use. Because cups are non-absorbent they don't "dry you out".

cups are fine to use for swimming and sport, and i honestly don't know anyone who has tried them and doesn't like them. the only critics are people who don't try them - so it really is worth giving it a go, especially as you should be able to a refund anyway. £18 - well paid for within a year and can last for over 5 years so much much cheaper in the long run!

also, they have been used since the 1920s - they're not a new idea - and they are not unhygienic at all (as long as you clean them and yuorself properly!) the main issue people seem to have is that we are brought up thinking periods and suchlike are dirty etc, when that's not true.

so would definitely recommend trying it at least once!
nona
Report 13 years ago
does the handle being there mean that you cant wear like pants, or not the really baggy ones that hang low? cause i mean wont it show that theres somethign sticking out like? so you'd like have to wear skirts right? or else it would look like you had extra organs dangling ther wouldnt it?
i dunno
ok, i can only say this: sounds painful(not about having to wear skirts, about hte whole mooncup idea)
oh and do you boil them in like..your cooking pot? if not where do you boil them? and if there are guys, ie BROTEHRS, FATHERS, boyfriends, blabla, do they know what ur boiling with/before/after their food? talk about gross..
yeah jst wondering
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1439)
79.72%
Leave (366)
20.28%

Watched Threads