motivational help Watch

This discussion is closed.
angel (a guy)
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
hey, does anyone have any tips for gettin motivated, i jus cant seem to do it. my exams are in 3 weeks and i havent started learning, OR revising for them. also, i've gotta hand in 2 pieces of IT coursework over the next 2 dayz, and i have only started one of them, even though i had all weekend to get one finished and then start the next one. does anyone have any tips on how to get motivated to do this please. thanx
Jenni_Kitten
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
eep lol. I don't really know what to suggest....Just think about the long-term and what grades you need to get that job you want or a place on the course you want. If you don't put in the work you'll just end up regretting it and wishing you could turn back time (like me with my GCSES)!
What might help physically is a revision plan or to do list of some sort, where you literally don't let yourself move until you've achieved your goal (of writing 2 pages or finishing a topic of revision notes or whatever).
Sometimes it also depends on how you approach it, organising and condensing your notes and working out how much you actually have to do can often help motivate as opposed to a cluttered desk and a million bits of paper everywhere.
But sometimes, the only way is to just sit down and force yourself to do it lol. Or ask someone who's motivated to work in the same room as you lol - then maybe you'll be motivated by them or at least they won't let you leave until you've done something (in theory)
Good luck
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In my experience, if you're not motivated then nothing except fear or a sudden wake up call will do it. So you have to assume you're not going to get motivated (sorry to be morbid). Make yourself a RIGID timetable: make lists of all the stuff you REALLY need to learn - decide if it's better to make sure the stuff you already know you know well, or to try and get a basic overview of all the stuff you don't already know. Then STICK to it. If you can't get motivated then you have to just force yourself to do it!!
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
To motivate yourself, I would think of some bad things if I don't get the grades. Some examples of bad things would be not getting into college or university.
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by angel (a guy))
hey, does anyone have any tips for gettin motivated, i jus cant seem to do it. my exams are in 3 weeks and i havent started learning, OR revising for them. also, i've gotta hand in 2 pieces of IT coursework over the next 2 dayz, and i have only started one of them, even though i had all weekend to get one finished and then start the next one. does anyone have any tips on how to get motivated to do this please. thanx
Perhaps promise to buy yourself something flash if you do really well on all your exams? I know I'm planning a little shopping trip in Melbourne after they're finished (guilty pleasure ) (btw I live in Canberra, ACT), that's some incentive for me! That and I've promised to catch up with friends after the 15th, when the exams finish.

Of course it does mean, after my pretty average mid-semester results, that I'm gonna have to work at it!!! :eek: A lot...

DB_x
bilb
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Tell your family to destroy something you couldn't live without if you fail and MAKE them promise ...Bar that pack away any distractions, all of them, then cover your walls in huge posters constantly reminding you to work...Oh and lots of caffeine can help as well
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bilb)
Tell your family to destroy something you couldn't live without if you fail and MAKE them promise ...Bar that pack away any distractions, all of them, then cover your walls in huge posters constantly reminding you to work...Oh and lots of caffeine can help as well
I think hiding it would be better than destroying it though. After the exam, you can get it back.
kohlstream
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i had to hide my network card and change the password on mycomouter to something along the lines of apoirejgiajerglij just so i would do revision. If you can't get motivated, remove the temptation do other things, e.g. go on the internet, check your phone to see if anyone has texted you (this could just be me..)
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kohlstream)
i had to hide my network card and change the password on mycomouter to something along the lines of apoirejgiajerglij just so i would do revision. If you can't get motivated, remove the temptation do other things, e.g. go on the internet, check your phone to see if anyone has texted you (this could just be me..)
If you are not using the computer, your parents might want to use the computer to go on the internet. Therefore, they would need the network card. How could they enter the computer when you set the password to something else?
khil
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Nah not just you - there's me as well...

And my dad just gave me a familiar lecture about it too - can't blame him, my exams are in a month - 4 weeks...

Last year my want of applying to Cambridge made me do it - I sat there til 2-3am revising and I'd be desperate for sleep but I'd tell myself - another 5 pages... - and finally I'd just pull up a blanket and sleep right there on the armchair - for a lot of nights I just didn't go to bed - just stayed where I was and slept. It paid off though - I gots AAAC So you see - it's definitely worth it!

Cam rejected me and I'm going to Nottingham now, which is even better cus the Cam course had a load of maths involved and I hate maths but I seemed to have burnt out since last year - can't get myself down to work! But the thought of Nottingham helps. Yeh if you need motivation - think of how much you wanna go to your uni and think of the devastation if you don't get in - your future as opposed to another month's worth of pleasure - it's what my dad says :rolleyes:
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by irisng)

And my dad just gave me a familiar lecture about it too - can't blame him, my exams are in a month - 4 weeks...

Last year my want of applying to Cambridge made me do it - I sat there til 2-3am revising and I'd be desperate for sleep but I'd tell myself - another 5 pages... - and finally I'd just pull up a blanket and sleep right there on the armchair - for a lot of nights I just didn't go to bed - just stayed where I was and slept. It paid off though - I gots AAAC So you see - it's definitely worth it!

Cam rejected me and I'm going to Nottingham now, which is even better cus the Cam course had a load of maths involved and I hate maths but I seemed to have burnt out since last year - can't get myself down to work! But the thought of Nottingham helps. Yeh if you need motivation - think of how much you wanna go to your uni and think of the devastation if you don't get in - your future as opposed to another month's worth of pleasure - it's what my dad says :rolleyes:
If I'm tired I won't revise properly. It's good it works for you though. I want to try it this time. :p: I think not going to sleep for a lot of days is bad, you should sleep during some days, and not sleep during some days if you want.
*starry_eyed_*
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
DO YOUR WORK!!!! lol is that enough motivation?
SinghFello
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by irisng)

I cant see how revising for hours and hours when your tired would be productive. I think its been proven that short bursts of intensive revision is the most efficient use of time.

I find if I start at 8:00am, I can study intensively for 4 hours straight upto lunch time. But after lunch, my brain doesnt function, and I spend ages doing nothing, so I just dont bother.
But the problem lies in trying to get up at 7am for the early start.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by SinghFello)
I cant see how revising for hours and hours when your tired would be productive. I think its been proven that short bursts of intensive revision is the most efficient use of time.

I find if I start at 8:00am, I can study intensively for 4 hours straight upto lunch time. But after lunch, my brain doesnt function, and I spend ages doing nothing, so I just dont bother.
But the problem lies in trying to get up at 7am for the early start.
I think starting at 9am would be better though, and 7 and 8 is kind of early. I tend to drift off after lunch, which sucks. I guess you could have a long break after lunch, then continue studying later on.
kohlstream
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
If you are not using the computer, your parents might want to use the computer to go on the internet. Therefore, they would need the network card. How could they enter the computer when you set the password to something else?
it's my computer.

note it is also big enough to slide right under the other side of the bed, so i have to pull everything out to get it out. And that's where it is going very soon

EDIT: as soon as i go on styudy leave, i am going to bed at around 8pm, and getting up at 5am to revise, since i work so much better in the morning
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
it's my computer.

note it is also big enough to slide right under the other side of the bed, so i have to pull everything out to get it out. And that's where it is going very soon

EDIT: as soon as i go on styudy leave, i am going to bed at around 8pm, and getting up at 5am to revise, since i work so much better in the morning
5am is early. You might be tired and when revising you might not feel like it. I would suggest waking up at least 8am or 9am. Sleeping early is good though.
kohlstream
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
5am is early. You might be tired and when revising you might not feel like it. I would suggest waking up at least 8am or 9am. Sleeping early is good though.
I'm just following advice from my learning styles analysis which said I learn most effectively at around 6am. Only I would get that result. I get up at 6.20 for six days each week anyway
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1608)
79.13%
Leave (424)
20.87%

Watched Threads