The Student Room Group

i wanto lose at least 1 stone by next month

well im 10stones right now and well im 5 foot 1 so my BMI is like 26.2 which is like overweight!!! im planning to lose a stone by next month because im going on holiday to spain, i was thinking what is the best way ive tried so many times and well the only way i maneged to lose some weight is due to stress......so im thinking like dieting like only least 1000 calories a day and go gym.......i dont know what others may think of this but please do adivice i really need yor help :o: :o:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
if you even attempt to only eat 1000, you'll put weight on holiday by drinking etc

you're better off eating around 1200 to 1500
walking alot (brill fat burner) and swimming
Reply 2
Eat around 500 calories less than your maintenance level, and get on a decent exercise regime.

You can healthily lose about 2lb per week, coming from fat. So, depending on when in July you're going away, you could lose about 8-10lbs.

A stone would be pushing it. If you were to chop down your calorie intake further then you run the risk of losing weight through muscle and tissue, which would actually make you look fatter.
I'm off on holiday second week of July and if I could lose a stone, I'd be so happy. I've been meaning to lose weight for years, but only just started going on the treadmill regularly in the last week, although I've lost no weight at all this week!

Any other tips?
Reply 4
cardio!!! use a cross trainer / running machine for 30 mins each day, its really easy and it tells you how many calories you've burnt which is niceee! if you dont have access to those then running is really good or swimming or workout dvds can be really fun if you get one with music you like on! also just eat healthily, avoid too much white bread / potatoes and try and eat chicken fish fruit veg wholemeal bread eggs etc :smile:
Reply 5
buy this months cosmo "Super Diet - Lose 1 stone in 1 month. May help..?
Reply 6
Cut down your portions of everything. And try and eat regularly throughout the day, so your energy levels don't drop too much. If you limit yourself to just one meal then your body will start to store fat.

Try doing high-level exercise each day for 30 minutes, such as a workout video, going to the gym and running on the treadmill, or if you don't have access to this stuff just go for a quick jog, or try power walking. In addition, cut out any car journeys you can and walk them quickly instead.

As for food, stick to whole wheat and try to fill up on fruit and veg. Make sure you have your 5 a day at least. And make sure to drink lots of water. Also if you drink a glass of water half an hour or so before you eat, it should make you feel fuller and stop you from over eating.

Don't cut out sugary things all together as you'll only start craving them more. Try having a square of dark chocolate after dinner. Or i alcohol is your weakness, have a small glass of wine with dinner every other day and then limit it further when you can.

Good luck!
Reply 7
if you lose that much weight in such a small amount of time you will feel pretty ill and lethargic. You can do a lot to yourself to make yourselve appear slimmer, I'd rather try that out, and aim for a more realistic weight loss amount
Just thinking, 14 pounds to a stone, so that means you need to burn around 49000 calories within a month to lose a stone right? That's 1633 calories a day.

Even by exercising and eating less, surely that's not possible?

Don't get me wrong, I want to lose weight like you too, but it's just not possible to do that, right?
Special K diet if you're willing to accept the fact you will put the weight straight back on as soon as you get home unless you start a proper diet and exercise regime. I've lost 9lbs in the past two and a half weeks, so if you stick to it then there's the possibility you'd lose a stone in a month. Make sure you take supplements though, since it's only meant to be a two week diet.
Reply 10
Its not quite as simple as that.

A calorie is a measurement of energy, and a stone is a measurement of weight, so you can't quite use the two like that.

Corresponding loss of calories through exercise won't uniformly equal a specific weight that willl be lost.
Reply 11
inaya_maryam
well im 10stones right now and well im 5 foot 1 so my BMI is like 26.2 which is like overweight!!! im planning to lose a stone by next month because im going on holiday to spain, i was thinking what is the best way ive tried so many times and well the only way i maneged to lose some weight is due to stress......so im thinking like dieting like only least 1000 calories a day and go gym.......i dont know what others may think of this but please do adivice i really need yor help :o: :o:

Any sort of crash diet is never going to give lasting wieght loss. I suggest for quick and sustained wieght loss you hack of an arm or leg, It'll take you a while to put that back on.
The recommended healthy level of weight loss is 1-2lbs a week. Any faster than that and you'd be entering into 'rapid weight loss', which when googled, brings up a LOT of negative side effects.

So, eat smaller portions, 5-a-day, lots of high intensity exercise, reduce alcohol, no full fat drinks, swap to skimmed milk, lean meat, fish, chicken - grilled. Keep fats and sugar to a minimum.
Full liquid diet!
Reply 14
you don't need to limit your fat, you need fat just like you need carbs and protein. Limit overall carb intake from all marconutrients, you will lose more weight in controlling you diet then in the gym. its very easy yo eat a 300 calorie muffin in two minutes, but oh so hard to work off. Just remember that
Joanna May
Special K diet if you're willing to accept the fact you will put the weight straight back on as soon as you get home unless you start a proper diet and exercise regime. I've lost 9lbs in the past two and a half weeks, so if you stick to it then there's the possibility you'd lose a stone in a month. Make sure you take supplements though, since it's only meant to be a two week diet.

wow I was thinking of doing that diet, and if it works Im going to try it! Basically the sixth form ball is in about 2 weeks so it wont matter a lot if i put the weight bk on. I have lost a stone this yr anyway, need to lose about another stone... got to try and be a healthy weight before uni!

I am also around your height OP and you're weight, it took me at least 2 or even 3 months to lose a stone but the only exercise was walking once or twice a week (hour long walks) and I did keep failing at healthy eating and eating choc and stuff!
Ilora-Danon
The recommended healthy level of weight loss is 1-2lbs a week. Any faster than that and you'd be entering into 'rapid weight loss', which when googled, brings up a LOT of negative side effects.

Rapid weight loss diets are perfectly healthy in the short term, if she does it sensibly and really does keep it short term. The side effects tend to occur when people try and keep them going long term without consulting experts. My doctor recommended the Special K diet, he's monitoring me and I lost six pounds in the first week. Obviously she won't be able to keep it up in the long term, but for a month it won't hurt if she just wants to lose weight for the beach.

emmasmellsalot
wow I was thinking of doing that diet, and if it works Im going to try it! Basically the sixth form ball is in about 2 weeks so it wont matter a lot if i put the weight bk on. I have lost a stone this yr anyway, need to lose about another stone... got to try and be a healthy weight before uni!

Well done on losing a stone :smile: Slow dieting is obviously the best answer for long term weight loss, but if you have a special event coming up and don't mind putting the weight back on after, then short term diets can be perfect. I lose the nine pounds even though I cheated a couple of times (BBQ is my weakness :frown:), so if you kept to it properly then you might actually make their promise of dropping a dress size in a fortnight. But please, please remember to take supplements or you will make yourself ill!
Joanna May
Rapid weight loss diets are perfectly healthy in the short term, if she does it sensibly and really does keep it short term. The side effects tend to occur when people try and keep them going long term without consulting experts. My doctor recommended the Special K diet, he's monitoring me and I lost six pounds in the first week. Obviously she won't be able to keep it up in the long term, but for a month it won't hurt if she just wants to lose weight for the beach.
Lmao. Your GP prescribed you a fad diet? What a loser. Sorry, but what good can possibly come from yo-yo dieting???? Please, educate me, I'm absolutely fascinated.
Ilora-Danon
Lmao. Your GP prescribed you a fad diet? What a loser. Sorry, but what good can possibly come from yo-yo dieting???? Please, educate me, I'm absolutely fascinated.

:rolleyes: I forgot you were an arse.

Regular weight loss wasn't working for me, so he recommended something that does work. God forbid someone might find that normal weight loss doesn't work and try and alternative. Why don't you enlighten me as to why this diet is such a bad thing? I'm exercising daily, probably have more of the essential vitamins and minerals than ever before thanks to the supplements and there are absolutely no side effects. If I increase or keep the exercise up when I start to eat "normally" again, then there's no medical reason why I should put the weight back on either.

I think I'll trust a medical expert rather than someone on the internet who thinks that diets are a one-size-fits-all thing, and what works for her is the only thing that will give results.
inaya_maryam

You may want to consider losing alot more than a stone. 10 stone is about the weight of a 5 foot 7 man.

Latest