AS Chemistry help... Watch

This discussion is closed.
dfghj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I'm a bit stuck on this exam question, can anyone help?

A commercial bleach contains sodium chlorate (I). A 10cm3 sample of this bleach was diluted to 250cm3 in a volumetric flask. When a 25cm3 portion of the solution produced was added to an excess of acidified potassium iodide, iodine was produced. On titration, this iodine reacted exactly with 23cm3 of 0.1M sodium thiosulphate.

i) Write an equation for the reaction of the chlorate ions with iodide ions in the presence of H+ ions and for the reaction of iodine with sodium thiosulphate and describe what you see at the end point of titration. Name a suitable indicator.

ii) Calculate the concentration of the sodium chlorate in the original soultion in mol dm^-3

(17 marks)
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
OCl- is a strong oxidizer, it oxidises I- to I2, thats the easy part.

I2 is an oxidizer strong enough to convert S2O3(2-) to S4O6(2-), that's what the iodometry is all about.

There is an organic compund that reacts with iodine giving blue color.

Best,
Borek
Mehh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That organic compound is called starch. Its readily available from potatoes. You can use that as an indicator of iodine easily...although it is generally the OTHER way round. However iodine reacts with starch to form a complex, hence will affect the titration. Hence the starch should only be used very late in the titration when the iodine colour is almost completely gone.
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I didn't post the name 'starch' in a vague hope that I will force Velouria to make some digging on her own

Best,
Borek
Mehh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
sorry :p:
dfghj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Oops sorry, I should have known that starch could be used as an indicator - but thanks anyway!

Can anyone check my answer for me, please?

i)

ClO- + 2H+ + 2I- ----> Cl- + H2O + I2

I2 + 2SO2O32- ----> S4O62-
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (866)
80.11%
Leave (215)
19.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed