The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Hi, got myself a distinction in AEA english last year, sitting P&R this year - be creative! I think it even says that in the mark scheme - for Philosophy & religion it does anyway.

My teacher's advice was go for the dist or ungraded approach - go out on a limb because average / run of the mill approaches don't get rewarded - either they'll like it and you'll ace it or they don't and no loss really anyway.

Oh and enjoy it :smile:
Reply 3
woodchip
Hi, got myself a distinction in AEA english last year, sitting P&R this year - be creative! I think it even says that in the mark scheme - for Philosophy & religion it does anyway.

My teacher's advice was go for the dist or ungraded approach - go out on a limb because average / run of the mill approaches don't get rewarded - either they'll like it and you'll ace it or they don't and no loss really anyway.

Brilliant :biggrin: that sounds almost fun!

So do you reference as many philosophers as possible or do you develop your own opinion using a couple of philospher examples??
Reply 4
ooo sorry just re read, you said you took english..

I shall re phrase haha... are you going to reference as many philosophers as possible or willl you develop your own opinion using a couple of philospher examples?
Ooh Im going to do the philos/religion one... very nervous right now. Im just reading over some stuff now, but im not really sure what to read! I just hope some fresh ideas will occur to me in the exam... i'm going to try and integrate new and fun reworkings of old philosophical models such as Plato's cave analogy representing the modern day celebrity culture of something...
I wish AEAs didn't get scrapped, I actually wish I could do them :sad
Reply 7
hi evry1, so this aea english!? anyone know whether that wd stand out on a medicine application compared to other peoples maths and physics A-levels.
Im in year 12 and am sitting paper on tues as it is the last year. Also i do not have wide english knowledge and definitely do not feel confident in approching question one with a marxist attitude etc.! Will a good, waffley essay pass alongside a gd text transformation???
THANKS GUYZ :smile:
woodchip

what sort of stuff have you read or done to prepare?? Do you have a really good knowledge of the whole A level because I can't remember quite a bit...
sorry for spamming but what are AEAs :redface:
Reply 10
Hey guys, I'm doing English and was wondering, does anyone know how long to spend on the introduction where you explain your approach etc, on the analysis itself, and on the conclusion and evaluation where you talk about your method etc?

For Section B I think I'll do the transformation but just in case, if I have to do one of the others, how many texts would it be good to mention (including those from the booklet and from our wider reading)? Does anyone actually know (as opposed to 'I guess...' lol)?
Thanks (:
Anna_The_Giant_Banana
sorry for spamming but what are AEAs :redface:

Advanced extension awards. One-off exams, a bit harder than A level. Answers are put in to 3 classes, ungraded, merit, or distinction.
Nativeenglish
I wish AEAs didn't get scrapped, I actually wish I could do them :sad

Me too.
I'd have liked to do AEAs in a language and something like economics or English next year.

I can't get the equivalent now without paying for 4 or more modules. :p:
AnonyMatt

I can't get the equivalent now without paying for 4 or more modules. :p:

What does this mean?
Reply 14
Nativeenglish
What does this mean?

He pays for he's grades :p:
Reply 15
hi evry1, so this aea english!? anyone know whether that wd stand out on a medicine application compared to other peoples maths and physics A-levels.
Im in year 12 and am sitting paper on tues as it is the last year. Also i do not have wide english knowledge and definitely do not feel confident in approching question one with a marxist attitude etc.! Will a good, waffley essay pass alongside a gd text transformation???
THANKS GUYZ
Nativeenglish
What does this mean?

I don't do A levels in any languages, or economics, or English. :p:
At my school, you have to pay to sit exams that you're not timetabled for.

You don't need to do the relevant A level to sit an AEA in the subject.

However, to get an A* (the new equivalent) I have to sit all the modules for the A level.
AnonyMatt
I don't do A levels in any languages, or economics, or English. :p:
At my school, you have to pay to sit exams that you're not timetabled for.

You don't need to do the relevant A level to sit an AEA in the subject.

However, to get an A* (the new equivalent) I have to sit all the modules for the A level.

Oh, right. Hmm, if you wanted an A level in a subject surely you'd pick it for one of your options rather than paying to do 4 modules outside of school with no teaching?

Or I may be completely missing the point, per usual :smile:
Nativeenglish
Oh, right. Hmm, if you wanted an A level in a subject surely you'd pick it for one of your options rather than paying to do 4 modules outside of school with no teaching?

Or I may be completely missing the point, per usual :smile:

You are. :yes:

I just wanted AEAs, to show that I have an aptitude for the subject. :p:
piiineapple
ooo sorry just re read, you said you took english..

I shall re phrase haha... are you going to reference as many philosophers as possible or willl you develop your own opinion using a couple of philospher examples?

How have you been preparing? What advice have you been given? My teachers haven't told me anything about it or given me past papers...

Latest