Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Im kinda at a stage where i've had enough of college. Its really startin to get to me now. Since day 1 ive hated my timetable, everyday its kinda like:

lesson 1 - 9:15-10:15
    lesson 2 - 2:30-3:30
    lesson 3 - 3:30 - 4:30

this means i have to hang around college for 4 hrs everyday.and sometimes i just cant be bothered with the waiting around doing nothing so i either miss the morning or the afternoon, and lately ive been getting loadsa letters home saying im missing too many lessons. But after spending so much time waiting around, even if i do go to my lesson, i just end up fallin asleep anyway and not learnign a thing. so ive been thinking of dropping out of college after my january exams and then study by myself for the final june exams.

any suggestions on what i shud do?

plz help.

ReputationRep:
    take up another AS level. i did 5 to keep busy (i would have had the same problem as you)

ReputationRep:
    Having a proper timetable is the most important part of any qualification. You might also want to skip lessons so you can finish work. As some famous person (who I've forgotten) once said "I put my education before my schooling".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    Having a proper timetable is the most important part of any qualification. You might also want to skip lessons so you can finish work. As some famous person (who I've forgotten) once said "I put my education before my schooling".
    he/she hardly needs to skip lessons with that much free time! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    What I'm saying is, rather than spending hours at college waiting for the next lesson, go home instead. Spending too much time at college is obviously stressing you out.

ReputationRep:
    One piece of advice from someone who knows more than most about this.

DON'T QUIT COLLEGE.

Yes, it may be quite tedious and boring, but in this screwed up world it is definitely your best chance.

Drop it, and for the rest of your life you will be a 4th rate choice for any job etc.

Capitalism doesn't care how hard done by you are, if you don't complete your education in all likelihood you'll spend most of the rest of your life picking up the mess of the people who did.

Unfair? Yep.

But you're lucky enough to still have a choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rushda)
    thanks for the replies..

its kinda l8 to pick up another AS, besides i dont think i want to, im concentrating on the three as i need AAB to get into uni.

is there anybody here who studies at home? how r u finding it?
    Dont do the home studies thing, from experience its worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffle)
    Dont do the home studies thing, from experience its worse.
    Get a friend who lives closer to lend you the keys to his house. I'm teaching myself further maths at home, but my Dad's a maths teacher so he can give me a hand with it (the sixth form I'm at didn't offer it in my year as I was the only one who wanted to do it). And if you're on your own it's easy just to think, "I'll leave it until nearer the exam." Then, finally, two weeks before the exam you realise you've done nothing. If things are that bad, you could probably transfer to another college next year, but that's a load of hassle, especially if the college you go to has different exam boards for the subjects you study.

ReputationRep:
    Im in the same situation but only on monday and tuesdey but I spend the time round town!

ReputationRep:
    I do the home study thing, Psychology A level with the nec in a year. I really needed to do it to get into university so that was a good motivator but if I could go back a year and just do it at college I would do!

It's okay to motivate yourself once you get into a routine, and I don't have any annoying breaks at college any more (the only time I have to hang around for is 1 hour on a friday, which isn't bad at all).. but there are a lot of little niggling things that I took for granted at college, just as the fact that the exams are sorted out for you - I had to ring around a lot of exam centres in my area to find somewhere that does my exam board, then had to make all of those arrangements myself ~ and that's just for the coursework-free AS half of it, god knows how I'll get my coursework validated!!

Then again, I like the freedom of being able to sit down for as long or as little time as I like. I have just had flu and been horribly ill but it's a lot nicer than college because I don't have to catch up (well I do, but it's not like I've missed out on anything).

I guess at the end of the day it's up to you. I wouldn't recommend it though, I still do 2 A levels and an AS at college, so that means I still see a lot of other students which I think is an important part of education. See if there are other groups you could move into & maybe sort your time table out that way.. otherwise you should just make the most of your situation and use the breaks to get work done, I've found that if you do that they go a lot faster and you get a huge amount more done during the day so when it gets ot the evening you can actually go to bed at a nice time!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should go home at all. If you have any work to do, disappear to your college's library and do that for an hour.

When you've finished, hang out with your mates in the common room for a bit, play cards, get something to eat.

This way you'll fill your timetable gets filled, you get extra work done and you're not stressed either. It's what I did last year in my AS's, and I got decent grades without stressing.

This year I'm the secretary of my student council. It keeps me occupied, it's great to mention in ucas forms or interviews, and I get a cool office with a stereo, kettle and computer to work in!

Hope this helps.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.