Turn on thread page Beta

How much work do uni students REALLY do? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! This is a question which I've been wondering about ever since I first heard that oxbridge= weekly essay, other uni= 2 per term. I'm not disputing the heavy workload of oxbridge courses, but are other uni courses really such a coast? As far as I can make out, other good unis eg birmingham set you about 1 essay every 2/3 weeks, which means you definitely don't get to sit around doing nothing for most of the term! I'd really like to hear the views of current uni students on this issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    Hi everyone! This is a question which I've been wondering about ever since I first heard that oxbridge= weekly essay, other uni= 2 per term. I'm not disputing the heavy workload of oxbridge courses, but are other uni courses really such a coast? As far as I can make out, other good unis eg birmingham set you about 1 essay every 2/3 weeks, which means you definitely don't get to sit around doing nothing for most of the term! I'd really like to hear the views of current uni students on this issue.

This varies, depends on the course and what classification you are trying to obtain. Weekly essay doesn't sound too bad, I got 2 a term, per module, 4 modules therefore 8 essays, that's pretty close to 1 a week. I think that's the norm at most of the better regarded institutions for the social sciences. I think the whole university experience is a hell of a lot easier if you have no realistic intention of going for a first.

ReputationRep:
    erm well you see uni is mainly reading. When I studied English I used to have to read about 3 books per week and answer seminar questions. I would take three modules per term so that would be 6 essays per term and 3 exams at the end of term.
    I am doing law now and it is a conversion so I am doing more than average but it is approx 40hrs per week reading 15 hours of lectures and seminar questions to answer every week.
    4 long essays and three exams per semester.

ReputationRep:
    i would hardly consider 1 essay per week hard anyway. i mean, its on a subject you love and you have 7 days to write it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    i would hardly consider 1 essay per week hard anyway. i mean, its on a subject you love and you have 7 days to write it!

It's difficult at first, but as you keep writin them, you get used to it. The time I spent on the first essay I ever did at univ was about 3 times as much as I had done on the last, also my mark on the last essay was better. And that's the norm, I think!

ReputationRep:
    It depends how long the essay is to how much you are going to enjoy it. If its 3000 words + a week and you have to do research then it isnt easy...

ReputationRep:
    the answer froma uni student: alot of work.

ReputationRep:
    Maths @ Bath = copius

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    absolute 'cobblers'

ReputationRep:
    Actually we all sit on our arses and drink beer....... I WISH!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    absolute 'cobblers'
    yep.

ReputationRep:
    how annoying!!!

heres my weekhttp://www.exeter.ac.uk/~RACobley/ma...s/yr1setC2.htm)
    mon: 10-4
    tue: 9-4
    wed: 9-10
    thu: 9.30-4
    fri: 10-4

plus the usual 2 hours ish a night work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    Please don't take this the wrong way, edders, but you seriously need to reconsider how hard you think you will have to work. During my A levels I thought I couldn't work harder, but then I came here... now I have the same mindset, but this time I know that I will reach a point when I look back on now and think I had it easy.

Some subjects at Oxford are an essay per week. Others are more like two. The reading lists are invariably 20 hours+ worth of work. Add classes, lectures and other bits associated with your subject, that seven days may not seem so much after all.

Maybe it's just a fresher thing, and I'll get used to the work and be able to do it faster, or be able to tell more easily what doesn't really need to be done. However, as it stands I have been working 12 hours every day for the last quite considerable number of days/weeks. Add to this all the extra curricular stuff there is to get involved in, and sleep doesn't tend to factor much in daily life. Thankfully after 8 weeks I can go home and crash for about a week to catch up.

This isn't meant to sound negative, and I do love what I'm doing - there's no way I'd be able to do it otherwise! Just a need to point out the reality sometimes...

How are other ox. freshers faring? hildabeast?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *~Sarah~*)
    Please don't take this the wrong way, edders, but you seriously need to reconsider how hard you think you will have to work. During my A levels I thought I couldn't work harder, but then I came here... now I have the same mindset, but this time I know that I will reach a point when I look back on now and think I had it easy.

Some subjects at Oxford are an essay per week. Others are more like two. The reading lists are invariably 20 hours+ worth of work. Add classes, lectures and other bits associated with your subject, that seven days may not seem so much after all.

Maybe it's just a fresher thing, and I'll get used to the work and be able to do it faster, or be able to tell more easily what doesn't really need to be done. However, as it stands I have been working 12 hours every day for the last quite considerable number of days/weeks. Add to this all the extra curricular stuff there is to get involved in, and sleep doesn't tend to factor much in daily life. Thankfully after 8 weeks I can go home and crash for about a week to catch up.

This isn't meant to sound negative, and I do love what I'm doing - there's no way I'd be able to do it otherwise! Just a need to point out the reality sometimes...

How are other ox. freshers faring? hildabeast?
    12 hours a day, I admire that, fantastic! I have never done anything even remotely close, for me 12 hours a week was a major achievement! It will most certainly get a hell of a lot easier.

ReputationRep:
    1 essay a week (3000-4500 words)

and if you're Jools, add to that 3-4 hours of committee meetings per evening...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    1 essay a week (3000-4500 words)

and if you're Jools, add to that 3-4 hours of committee meetings per evening...
    Yes well you are just crazy....

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    So much work, so little time, for maths we have about 20 hours a week of lectures, we tend to get 3 homework sheets a week, which take a deceptively long amount of time, then a couple of computer based investigations a term (my last one had me working in uni late nearly every night for a week) and between 4 and 6 exams at the end of it, depending on number of credits taken etc! Its a joke, and all my house mates on Arts courses seem to be able to leave their essays til the night before and still come out with a 2:1, so unfair!

This image of students sitting about and doing nothing is so wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    So much work, so little time, for maths we have about 20 hours a week of lectures, we tend to get 3 homework sheets a week, which take a deceptively long amount of time, then a couple of computer based investigations a term (my last one had me working in uni late nearly every night for a week) and between 4 and 6 exams at the end of it, depending on number of credits taken etc! Its a joke, and all my house mates on Arts courses seem to be able to leave their essays til the night before and still come out with a 2:1, so unfair!

This image of students sitting about and doing nothing is so wrong!
    so how much free time do you get, are you able to easily uphold a part time job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jstringer)
    so how much free time do you get, are you able to easily uphold a part time job?
    Most uni's recommend doing no more than 15/16 hours a week in a part time job, but I don't know how students can even work that much!

I was going to get a part time job but I really don't feel I have the time.

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually that much contact time (16hrs a week) but there's a hell of a lot of reading to do, i have a lab report to write every week, plus tutorial preparation (normally a presentation) preparing for lab, writing up notes from lectures etc etc. I still go out an awful lot though, which is why it seems a lot more, because i just don't have the time at home to do it. Wonder why I'm on here now... lab report has to be handed in in 2 hours, normally takes 6/7 hours to write, and I haven't started yet... Ah well.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.