Turn on thread page Beta

How much work do uni students REALLY do? watch

ReputationRep:
    no essays. ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    no essays. ever.
    Me neither, but plenty of problem sheets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jstringer)
    so how much free time do you get, are you able to easily uphold a part time job?
    I don't think I'd have time to work, I tend to just work full time in the holidays to get a big of cash together for the next term. I think if I tried to work I'd end up making myself ill!

ReputationRep:
    yay, no essays for me either, which is one of the reasons I picked maths. However compared to people on here I do hardly any work...

Mon 10-12, 3-4
    Tues 10-11, 2-3
    Wed 9-12
    Thurs 9-1, 3-4
    Fri 10-1

Usually with the large gaps between lectures I'll get some work out of the way if I haven't already finished it in my tutorial sessions. Not sure about some of you, but I'm aiming for a 50% minimum in all my subjects this year. 40% is just cutting it too close.

Was pretty gutted when I found out I got 33/60 on a test I thought I did ok in. As the lecturer said though, 30+ is fair....Guess you can't have the best of both worlds.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Me neither, but plenty of problem sheets.
    I get problem sheets too and I have to write a lab report for the end of term and an essay next term.

ReputationRep:
    i was surprised by the work load. I've had exams and coursework that count towards my end of year mark from the 1st week. my weekly timetable at the mo is

mon 12 -4
    tue 10-4
    wed 11 -12
    thur 11-3
    fri 9-3
    admittedly there are gaps between the hours given but when you have the odd hour break you tend to do sod all. Also my uni is about a 40 min walk away form my hall so i seem to spend half my day walking up hills. Combined with extra ciricular stuff and going out its hard to find the time to get everything done.

between now and christmas i've got to do 3 essays, write and learn my 3rd oral of the term, do a fat booklet of exercises as well as all my weekly homeworks and typing up my lecture notes (although this is self inflicted). The differences between alevel and uni essays is that you've got to do a hell of a lot of reading and you can't just get away with copying big chunks out of a book. Its relatively easy to pass but its hard to get decent marks. When i forst started i had a real inferiority complex because its hard to be surrounded by lots of people that are very good at their subject.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.