Kylie's got breastcancer Watch

This discussion is closed.
CrazyChemist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Trousers)
Just because this story is getting lots of publicity doesn't mean people should start resenting Kylie - she didn't ask for it to be all over the TV.
Yes she DID! she is a celebrity and has thus far walked that career path willingly, part of which is the immutable fact that every facet of their private lives will be printed on the front page of any newspaper that can get their hands on it. The point is well made about being familiar with someone, etc. etc, but this is the shallow life celebrities sign up for.
looby3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
With Kylie having breast cancer maybe more young girls will start to check themselves in the near future - the success rate for catching it early and curing it will be increased dramatically - She'll pull through though - she's a fighter!!
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Ms Red)
who plastered it over your screen, you opened the link, its always news when someone in the spotlight gets ill, deal with it, Im not a big fan of hers but all this oh I dont care cos she is famous is a bit childish, I have 4 close people who were diagnosed with cancer but I dont ast like another persons is no big deal
you must have missed the "TV" bit.

shame floods in south america were less important than a celebs tits...but i guess you're more than happy.
Phonicsdude
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Right...to be honest, when footballers ball's cause them problems (Neil Harris recently, for example) I dont pay my balls ANY more attention. I dont believe this will really cause women far and wide to start fiddling with their funbags to find a lump. Cliched ******** points those were, made by...Roger, Fluffy and dogtanian!
technik
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Phonicsdude)
Right...to be honest, when footballers ball's cause them problems (Neil Harris recently, for example) I dont pay my balls ANY more attention. I dont believe this will really cause women far and wide to start fiddling with their funbags to find a lump. Cliched ******** points those were, made by...Roger, Fluffy and dogtanian!
indeed...i've never found any campaign aimed at men has suddenly got me examining the underside of my ball sack for anomolies.
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well that is your own problem mate for not taking the warning sof something being brought to your attention. The truth is mny people do take more care to check themselves when someone in the public eye gets cancer and much more money is dontated to charites under these circumstances. It ain't cliched.

(I don't know if this was siad here or on another forum, so I'll say it anyway)You just have to look at the US a couple of years back. When Anastasia went public with her breast cancer the rate of women with breast cancer being identified early sored and the number of cases detected earlier dropped dramatically: that is proof that someone in the public eye brings around change and helps others.

And even if t made just a single extra person check themsleves more/go to the doctors sooner which will have potentially saved their life then it is worth Kylie being publiv about it. Plus being public with it stops all the problems and hassle she would now be getting for cancelling her tour in Australia. Bucasue lets' face it. If she had cancelled with out saying why she would have been in for a hell of a lot of stick from the media and public at a time when she really could have done without it.
Wild Thing
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Ms Red)
who plastered it over your screen, you opened the link, its always news when someone in the spotlight gets ill, deal with it, Im not a big fan of hers but all this oh I dont care cos she is famous is a bit childish, I have 4 close people who were diagnosed with cancer but I dont ast like another persons is no big deal
riiiiight....I didnt know that his computer was the TV screen :rolleyes:
He never said he didnt care...just that its over rated as thousands die from it and nobody ever cares or talks about THEM.
looby3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
if more people start to check themselves following a celebs diagnosis then its gonna be a better future for many people - the success rates will rise - i think that with more press coverage its better overall!!
technik
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by looby3)
if more people start to check themselves following a celebs diagnosis then its gonna be a better future for many people - the success rates will rise - i think that with more press coverage its better overall!!
lets be honest though, the cancer bit is just an interesting piece of info. because its a celeb its all over the news. the focus is therefore on the person not the actual cancer.

like i said, thousands die of cancer every day. we never hear about them.
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

You personally, maybe.

But in general it raises awareness.

I'm not saying everyone should feel that Kylie's cancer is more serious than anyone else's, but it certainly not something to shrug off.

So what ifs it's a cliche? I stand by it. Raising awareness is no bad thing, in my opinion.

(Original post by Roger Kirk)
If she had cancelled with out saying why she would have been in for a hell of a lot of stick from the media and public at a time when she really could have done without it.
I quite agree.

erk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It seems really harsh, but i dont really care. I hope she gets better and all that, but thousands get diagnosed everyday and we don't hear about it, yes, fans should be told, but i dont see why the world should stop. I find it quite hard to believe that people on here have more respect for Kylie than the Pope, evidenced by people going 'i couldn't give a ****', likewise, i couldn't give a **** about Kylie. Isn't she getting her operation in the next week? she's using her money to get it sorted - a good thing, to me, it's not really worthy of any compassion.

Good luck.
awesome
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
its shocking i woul dhave never expecte dit she so helathy and fit.
awesome
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by CrazyChemist)
Yes she DID! she is a celebrity and has thus far walked that career path willingly, part of which is the immutable fact that every facet of their private lives will be printed on the front page of any newspaper that can get their hands on it. The point is well made about being familiar with someone, etc. etc, but this is the shallow life celebrities sign up for.

That so disrecpectful your lucky i dont pull out my 9mm and do a drive by on your ass.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by awesome)
That so disrecpectful your lucky i dont pull out my 9mm and do a drive by on your ass.
hush child
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by awesome)

That seems a little disrespectful to me.

So I'm gon' pop a cap in yo' ass.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hmm - given I volunteer in a hospice, have a D.Phil in cancer research and am training as a medical doctor specifically to enter the filed of medical oncology or palliative care, I can tell you that celebs going public does help.

And as you said - Neil Harris... So you know about him then - and his issues? His message got through - even if you foolishly choose to ignore it. You're an autonomous being - that is your right...
PapeeChumo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well said fluffy
tonguetwister
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Atleast they've caught it early & she's having an operation 2day. It's such a shock 'cause she lives such a healthy lifestyle & she's young. Just goes to show that stress is a HUGE contributing factor to cancer
Kerry41
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tonguetwister)
Atleast they've caught it early & she's having an operation 2day. It's such a shock 'cause she lives such a healthy lifestyle & she's young. Just goes to show that stress is a HUGE contributing factor to cancer
breastcancer even goes worse...many factors will have impacts on breast cancer...

women r poor....
Phonicsdude
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
Hmm - given I volunteer in a hospice, have a D.Phil in cancer research and am training as a medical doctor specifically to enter the filed of medical oncology or palliative care, I can tell you that celebs going public does help.
Actually that doesnt add authority to you. It's like a vet telling me that animals really matter. Sometimes one submerged in a subject it can be hard to see the wood for all the trees. Out of touch because the theory sounds so good. World war 1 generals anyone?

And as you said - Neil Harris... So you know about him then - and his issues? His message got through - even if you foolishly choose to ignore it. You're an autonomous being - that is your right...
I didnt ignore it. As evideced by the fact that I knew about it. And was able to cite it in a debate many months/years later. I havnt acted on it because I bnever received any ACTUAL information on HOW to act upon it. Feel my balls for lumps was all I could gather, short of visiting websites etc, which most people will not do.

I feel my balls often enough, and if I ever feel a lump there by accident I shall go to the doctors. Lets assume I did visit the websites and checked my balls daily for lumps. Many years later, Im not going to still check my balls. These incidents are good in the short term, but unless a celebrity gets a cancer every month, its not going to be enough.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.2%
Leave (425)
20.8%

Watched Threads