The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i was bullied throughout secondary school, until in yr 10 i got so ged up.. i told someone. i wish i had told someone sooner- i have such good friends now! i also helped set up an anti-bullying system which offers an ear to listen to people about anything... it was still really successful when i left school.
bullied for about 3 to 4 years from the ages of 11-16

mainly verbal abuse etc, taunting, being pushed around, nothing too violent

led to me self-harming age 11, which continued till i was about 17 and also left me with depression and suicidal tendancies.

i know if i have kids i'll do anything to protect them from what happened to me. i hate to think of anyone being made to feel so worthless and like **** that they don't want to live. no person, and definetly no child should ever have the right to make another feel that way.
I can't remember when it was. But back in primary school I kinda had a rivalry with the badass popular guy of the year.

I was the kid with the long hair and odd dress sense (all black... thats still my look : /) and also classed as the nerd cos always got the highest marks. Also I only made friends with girls. So basically, I was really the outcast when it came to the male community in my year.

Anyway, the guys used to tease me quite a bit but it didn't really bother me. But I got into a proper fight with that popular guy a little bit after cos I was getting tired of his shitty taunts. I dont remember how it turned out, but the teasing stopped after that.

The bad thing is that I didn't get in trouble for it even though I technically started it. Cos the damn teachers always thought I was the goody-two-shoes.
I was bullied by a group of lads who were in my year at school- they basically just took the piss because I was really thin (I was actually suffering from anorexia). That was really horrible; I used to dread going to school.

Some younger boys used to pull my hair and stuff on the bus! (which is strange because I'm not really the victimy-type you would expect that to happen to :wink: ) I was told it was because one of them fancied me... how romantic!

Bullies are just complete k***heads, you'll realise just how sad people like that are once you leave school.
Reply 24
i punch in a face whoever tries to bully me.hehe.well i do. since I have joined the crappy comprehensive school in year 10 I didnt and dont have much friends. People tried to pick on me, but i fought back and had rly tough arguments with them. Sometimes it got to bad fights. but on the other hand they became scared of me and pissed off, although they think i am a nerd. next year i m hopefully going to a much better boarding school.
I was a bit of a geek from year 7 to year 11, so I guess I had it coming. Don't know about you guys, but everytime I come across one of these former bullies, they literally look like bums/criminal/thugs. Sometimes it makes me think, how can someone inflict physical or mental pain on someone else that does not deserve it, its most probably because they're parents were complete assholes themselves. That is why if i have kids and they have to go through the same bs, I will make sure serious action is taken.
Reply 26
London_psycho
I was a bit of a geek from year 7 to year 11, so I guess I had it coming. Don't know about you guys, but everytime I come across one of these former bullies, they literally look like bums/criminal/thugs. Sometimes it makes me think, how can someone inflict physical or mental pain on someone else that does not deserve it, its most probably because they're parents were complete assholes themselves. That is why if i have kids and they have to go through the same bs, I will make sure serious action is taken.

yep these bullies are assholes from stupid families.hehe.they r ugly and their look is stupid and ridiculous.nowadays i just ignore them i feel pity for them, since they will stay poor like their parents.
yeh dude, their 5 minutes of fame is up. I say, good luck to them for the nxt 50 years of their life, they are going to need it.
I was bullied in the first 2 years of secondary school. By both girls and boys. It was horrible time. I told my teachers at school eventually but they didn't seem to do much until going into 3rd i kicked up a fuss and they finally changed my classes so i wouldn't be in with the bullies anymore. After that i made new friends and didn't care what the bullies etc. said and the stopped once they realised they were not getting to me anymore.
been bullied , in primary school for about 1 week with some cool new guy who came to our skool. So i decided to have a fight with him , after that he stopped it , coz i hit him like 5 -6 times and he didnt throw a single punch. and everyone one was on his side (to beat me up) and only one guy was on my side (that guy is still my friend lol)
Reply 30
never ever been bullied!!!!!!!
bu i'm the type of person who can't make friends for the sake of it. If i like someone who i know has similarities as me then i tend to get to know them. Otherwise i stay way back from those i knw i won't like.
Reply 31
I have been bullied since the start of year 7, and still get bullied (now in yr13). It isnt people in 6th form now, its mainly younger people.

It got so bad that I tried commiting suicide in year 8 :frown:
I was bullied pretty much all of my life. When I was in primary school it was because the girl who lived next door to me thought I was wierd. My mother still had to send me around to her house in the morning before school as she had to leave for work, so I had to sit there watching big breakfast with this girl who was effectively a chav and who wanted me dead. In the playground each day she'd come and find me and suddenly none of my friends would want to know me.

She'd force me into a corner and smash my hands against the wall til they bled, and call me names. Once she tripped me down a flight of stone stairs outside. She'd corner me and tease me. I knew her father was dead so once when I was about 9 and she'd been bullying me two years I yelled out "well at least my father is still alive" - I mean, looking back, a horrible thing to do, and probably why she was the way she was, because of his death. All her friends made me feel like the bad guy. I Transferred schools eventually.

At my next school girls cornered me in the toilet and beat me up a few times. I was blamed for defending myself and was in trouble with the teachers, even though it was 3 against one.

Seccondary school was worse though. I cant remember a day when I wasnt teased with the most personal and painful insults. There was gum thrown in my hair, pushing, kicking, punching, stalking me to make me afraid, throwing food and drink at me, mocking me and pretending to be my friend so that they could mock me some more. To this day I have no idea what I did to deserve this. For most of my school life I was thin, quiet, and bookish, never going out of my way to get noticed or antagonise anyone.

Once I fought back because a girl hit me with a rounders bat and she stalked me for two days puching me and kicking me and pulling my hair til I reported her.

Another time a girl used to kick chairs out from under me then kick the backs of my shins til I got up. I was surrounded by most of my class once while they pushed me around a circle calling me names. When I broke out of the circle, they told the teacher I had beaten them up. He chastised and punished me for this at our next class in front of everyone, without asking me what had happened.

Everywhere I went, no matter how far away, something about me drew the bullies. I couldnt walk down a street near or in my town without hearing insults yelled at me. I couldnt queue for a bus after school without being spat upon. Some of the worst bullies were in the form of friends who tore down my self confidence everyday by telling me I wasnt good enough to hang out with them, and critising every aspect of me constantly.

Despite all this I maintain that I had some great friends, some wonderful boyfriends, and some really fun times at school. I did well academically, got bored of trying to please the horrendously creul PE teachers we had, and by sixth form was delighted with my life as most of the bullies left. I got on well with people twice my age, was more mature than most of my peers, developed a lot of empathy for others, and leant to feel pity for those who had teased me, realising they saw in me something they were afraid of because they could never possess it - intelligence, originality, and imagination. I'd been teased because I wasnt a sheep, but in the end it was worth it. I have never bullied anyone. I will never be as shallow as them. I will have a good job, a good education, and a good idea of how peoples feelings and emotions work and therefore more successful friendships and relationships. So many of them came from deprived backgrounds, and will never learn how to relate to others, will be stuck in dead end unskilled low paid jobs for ever.

I know its easy to say "tell someone" but bullying is hard to report when its 20 or 30 people rather than one or two. I was also short sighted (but didnt have glasses because no one had realised I was ) and kept my head down, so I could never indentify them, so they were rarely caught. If you do feel you can tell someone, always go to a teacher you can trust rather than the people in the highest up position. In my experience Its far better to talk to someone you have a bond with, who you know is kind, that to report things to a possibly uncaring person at the top. The teacher will do this on your behalf.

In my experience, very few teachers make an effort to stamp out bullying, and some were bullied themselves. Some ignored my tears when I was being bullied and wouldnt let me stay somewhere safe when people I knew were roaming the school grounds looking for me to hurt me. If I ever achieve my dream of becoming a teacher I will do my utmost, run as many campaigns and systems as I have to, get as involved as I can, and give any time or resources at my disposal to deal with bullying.

Because of what happened to me, at the hands of those people we called "efforts" and what you might call chavs or townies - the popular, sporty ones - I am a little biased against very confident, very attractive people when I see them displaying arrogance and superficilality, but I try not to be. I believe I can rise above that and when I become a teacher I will not discriminate. In my opinion the problem in my high school was their over emphasis on sport. There should be equal reconginition for both sporting and academic achievements. In my school being clever was nothing, and being good at sports was everything, which I think was a shame as both are worthy of praise.

I will still defend "chavs" If I think they are being bullied too or recieving unfair treatment. I despise and will not stand for intolerance and predjuduce against others. My confidence will never be high because of being told how ugly/bad smelling/disgusting I was for over 10 years of my life, but being shy is better than thinking you are better than everyone else anyday.

Im sorry for the long post, but I feel very strongly about this. If anyone wants to talk to me about bullying they are free to PM me.
No one messes with me :p: lol

Only joking. I didn't really, I got **** sometimes but I went to a **** high school so what can you expect? I enjoyed school generally and I made a point of avoiding the assholes, as did my friends. That steered us away from problems.
queenselphie
I was bullied pretty much all of my life.........

Im sorry for the long post, but I feel very strongly about this. If anyone wants to talk to me about bullying they are free to PM me.

:eek: makes me really appreciate my past, i'm just glad that things have worked out ok in the end for you :smile: Its horrible how someone so talented can be discriminated in such a horrible way, i do hope you havent came out with a pessimistic view of other people, there are too many nice people in the world!! (tsr is the official meeting place :wink: )

I do hope you become a great teacher and really make a difference in schools, i too am contemplating a teaching profession, as bullying is a huge issue which is not dealt with adequately. [hopefully studying psychology in uni, then educational psychology or whatever its called :redface: ]
saiyamana
:eek: makes me really appreciate my past, i'm just glad that things have worked out ok in the end for you :smile: Its horrible how someone so talented can be discriminated in such a horrible way, i do hope you havent came out with a pessimistic view of other people, there are too many nice people in the world!! (tsr is the official meeting place :wink: )

I do hope you become a great teacher and really make a difference in schools, i too am contemplating a teaching profession, as bullying is a huge issue which is not dealt with adequately. [hopefully studying psychology in uni, then educational psychology or whatever its called :redface: ]

I havent come out with the view that people are horrible at all... It has helped me indentify the sorts of people I prefer to hang around with now (geeks, nerds, sci-fi and fantasy lovers, role players etc) who arent exactly accepted by society much, but who do generally look a little deeper before judging people and tend to be more easy going. Im also a pretty easy going and laid back person now - I dont take offence easily, dont get annoyed with people over petty things, or generally act like a perfectionist in any way. This means Im very messy, but it also means most people havent heard me shout :smile: I think I show people the tolerance that the bullies never showed me, because thats what I wish everyone was like :smile: The only thing I get quite fired up and annoyed about easily is when I see others being bullied or teased for their choices. I just cant stand intolerance.
Good luck with your degree :smile:
Reply 36
Thanks for that dissertation !
Reply 37
Not bullied were you get beat up and that only in like that jokey name calling way that dont hurt anyone. Just like joking around. Which is the nearest i have been to getting bullied. Which is not even bullying :confused:
Reply 38
not yet...*gulps*
I reckon if you can survive the psychological and physical damage from a bully it may be able to make you a stronger person when you're older. I mean, most of our strongest aspects are born as defence mechs for mistakes or sufferings that we've had in the past. Right?

I'm a really sociable guy now, and very open minded with great (well...) friends doing a course that I love at uni. Was kinda made fun of for being more bookish than most in my year, for hanging with girls too much, and for my silly long hair. Yeah well all those weird elements of me are kinda dandy now, elements of myself that I'm actually kinda proud of (lol) :wink: and I'm glad I have them, screw those little kids who can't handle individuality. In the end, once the lameass time of primary and early secondary finishes, we come out on top...

Heck, nowadays geeks and nerds are quite a lot more prominent in society, underground fandom and intelligence/artisticness isn't just stereotyped to be left for the socially inept... I think we're lucky to have not only aged and matured, but also to have grown along with the times. I dunno how my personality would've been treated in the 80s and stuff lol...

Of course we still have our trials and tribulations going on now (perhaps even more harsh?) but at least it isn't bullying... Very degrading and unfair form of assault indeed...

People still kinda make fun of my name. But I find it kinda funny now. Generally its jokey anyway...

Latest