The Student Room Group

Running a red light?

My first thread so forgive me for any mistakes.

Basically i was driving home after a date with the girl in the passenger seat, i was that nervous about trying to keep a conversation going that i completely missed a red light, it was not at a junction, but at a crossing and no one had started to cross, if i had tried to stop i would have skidded for about 50 yards and may have lost control so i just braked gently even though i was passed it already. i told her and she laughed and i laughed but im kinda worried now. Can i get in trouble still for this? Cheers in advance.

Scroll to see replies

I did this once before also. With my girlfriend, on dual carriageway which had lights at the end. I was driving at pretty much the speed limit, and the lights turned yellow, but i didn't think i'd stop in time so i carried on thinking i'd get through, but they went onto red before i got through. I was nervous all the way back, and for days after... but nothing came of it!

Unless you were in city center, where there are lots of cameras, or a police man saw you,, you'll be fine :smile:
You'll get 3 points on licence-you will also have fine £60
that's what my dad had for doing 35 mph on main wide road, the
limit had been reduced from 40 to 30 mph and he hadn't noticed.

But that was on a main road so i dunno what'll happen to you :p:
Reply 3
it wasn't in the city centre (belfast) but near enough lol. I suppose i will be panicking for a week or so, i also only passed my test bout 2 months ago :s-smilie:
Reply 4
rosielovesmitchell
You'll get 3 points on licence-you will also have fine £60
that's what my dad had for doing 35 mph on main wide road, the
limit had been reduced from 40 to 30 mph and he hadn't noticed.

But that was on a main road so i dunno what'll happen to you :p:

That's not what happened.
Reply 5
I've got through about 3 red lights, they dont USUALLY have cameras or anything, well so far (fingers crossed) i've never got any points, or fines for it.
If it was safer to keep going then you won't get in trouble - i went through a red light in my test and passed because it was safer!!
andyroo_g
That's not what happened.

That's what i said you joker
I doubt it, unless you're really unlucky. I drive through red lights all the time :P.

Past 8pm, orange means GO!
Reply 8
rosielovesmitchell

What did you say?
rosielovesmitchell

are you a special needs child? the story had nothing to do with being over the speed limit
Reply 10
i drive through red lights all the time
of course only certain lights that i know don't have cameras and i can see everywhere if there is any traffic or police
and only at about 3am
Reply 11
ahh you should be fine. If not get your dollar's out!
Reply 12
i live in northern ireland i think the police would laugh if i showed up with dollars..... :P
Been in many a taxi when they've went through a red light. But then taxi drivers are just wild (Y).

I think you'll be alright :smile:.
Reply 14
macattack_
i live in northern ireland i think the police would laugh if i showed up with dollars..... :P

I always call money dollar. Duh! :wink: :woo:
Reply 15
I'm from NI also mate, there's only probably a handful of cameras on traffic lights in belfast. Certainly don't think theres many outside the city centre. You'll be sweet! Where bouts was it? Unless the peelers saw you, you'll be fine. Cause they need to see it to give u a fine. Be careful using ur phone driving though, got caught the other day in bangor. 3 points and 60 quid fine! Apparantly they're out to get people using phones big time.
Reply 16
chances are nothing will happen. unless you were caught by one of those cameras that look liek speed cameras but capture drivers going through red lights. i doubt if its just any old traffic light that there was a camera there so nothing will happen. it cool. just pay more attention next time
Reply 17
Dont stress if im going a decent speed and the lights turn yellow about to go to red i'll usuallly drive through rather than slam the breaks. Like others have said unless your in a city centre chances are there's NOT a camera and you'll be fine. I've done it a lot of times and never had a ticket. But just be sensible - if you go through 1-2 seconds after its gone red your gonna be fine but any more than that your running a risk not worth taking.
macattack_
My first thread so forgive me for any mistakes.

Basically i was driving home after a date with the girl in the passenger seat, i was that nervous about trying to keep a conversation going that i completely missed a red light, it was not at a junction, but at a crossing and no one had started to cross, if i had tried to stop i would have skidded for about 50 yards and may have lost control so i just braked gently even though i was passed it already. i told her and she laughed and i laughed but im kinda worried now. Can i get in trouble still for this? Cheers in advance.

I've done this like twice in the past week. Once I completely missed the light was red cos it was in a quiet side road and there was no traffic or cars. I stopped but I went over the line. It's only been a week so I'm just waiting to see if I'll get a ticket/points.

Also happened on Friday just gone BUT this time I had gone over the line when the light was green BUT the guy in front of me decided at the last minute to indicate left but couldn't turn left cos his exit was blocked and THEN the lights turned amber and red. But I just went on after he moved, but not sure if I did this after the lights had changed.

Driving in London is such a nightmare, especially as I'm a new driver.
The same thing happened to me about a week ago (but I was at a junction). Check your area in the speed camera database and see if there were any traffic light cameras where you ran the red light (I very much doubt it) at http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/speed-camera-database.htm .

If there isn't one, and you didn't notice any flash going off, you most probably are fine. Don't worry about it.

Latest