Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Before you read this please take into account that this is not a "troll" or post trying to **** anyone off, I just want to have a sensible discussion re media sensationalism of the RWC:

Am I the only person who is getting slightly annoyed at all the hype surrounding the Rugby World Cup?

Ok, it was good but lets keep things real ok, this is not football and nor will it ever gain the worldwide interest or appeal that football enjoys. Football is the global game and this is never going to change.

I was looking at Sky news yesterday and 70% of people rank this as being more significant then out football World Cup victory in 1966.

I was not around in 1966 and can understand that an event that happened two days ago is more significant than something that happened 40 years ago, however:

Regardless of how they dress it up Rugby is very much a minority sport. It is massive in NZ and SA where is can truly claim to be number one but it is relativley small throughout the rest of the world.

The game is fairly big in GB, France and Ireland. Average domestic attendances are around the 8,000 mark in England however I cannot for one minute imagine crowds escalating to anywhere near football status for domestic matches. Domestic attendances in Scotland and Wales are relativley poor I am led to believe (1000-4000 per match) so no chance of gaining football like status there.

The game is very much riding the crest of a wave at the moment. People who have never watched a Rugby game in their lives are going out and buying England shirts just to be in on the so called "national celebration". I did not see people dancing in fountains in London nor have I seen the mile long conga that we had in London after we beat Spain in Euro 96 so they can hardly claim that the nation is rejoicing.

I am not trying to diss Rugby or the achievement that our boys accomplished. What I am saying is we need to keep it real...the average person in the street will have forgotten all about this come Christmas and will resume worship at the altar of football.

BTW I think football is also guilty of much hype so perhaps all this is just a refreshing change?

ReputationRep:
    Well, to support your post, I certainly wasn't a part of all the hype. I didn't watch the match - don't like watching sports in general and they look petty and I don't understand them! lol. I guess it's all down to silly patriotism though....

It irritated me IMMENSELY.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Well, to support your post, I certainly wasn't a part of all the hype. I didn't watch the match - don't like watching sports in general and they look petty and I don't understand them! lol. I guess it's all down to silly patriotism though....

It irritated me IMMENSELY.
    I would place a fairly large bet that if we could turn back the clock and go interview people in the street two months before the tournament the vast majority of people would not give an fcuk.

It is only now when success has been achieved that everyone wants to be associated with it.

I was in SA recently and bought a Springbocks shirt. I was wearing it back over here and copped some abuse from England "fans".

Made me laugh anyway .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    I would place a fairly large bet that if we could turn back the clock and go interview people in the street two months before the tournament the vast majority of people would not give an fcuk.

It is only now when success has been achieved that everyone wants to be associated with it.
    Very true and quite sad. That said, it is ultimately harmless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)

Remember how going back some years everyone was walking round in Blackburn Rovers shirts after they won the Premiership.

Now they barley getting 20K speccies a game!

It is quite a sad reflection on society really and shows and fickle the average person in the street is.

My girlfriend offered to buy me an England RU shirt for Christmas, I respectfully declined .

ReputationRep:
    Well said Mark_KK.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I don't understand the initial argument, are you saying that because Rugby is not so popular (relative to Football) throughout the world we ought to be somewhat more 'moderate' in celebration? Also, secondly, is there a suggestion that those who were not too keen on Rugby 2 months prior to the world cup are not entitled to be pleased at England winning the world cup? I disagree with both, if indeed those were the indeded points.

The first point is a nonsense. As for the second, it's even worse. It's precisely because those not otherwise interested in Rugby are now taking an interest that we ought to be pleased. Greater popularity can only help the game and can only help England's ambitions for further success. Also, do you not like seeing people in a celebratory mood???

Incidentally, I'm speaking as someone that has very little interest in Rugby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Firstly, I don't understand the initial argument, are you saying that because Rugby is not so popular (relative to Football) throughout the world we ought to be somewhat more 'moderate' in celebration? Also, secondly, is there a suggestion that those who were not too keen on Rugby 2 months prior to the world cup are not entitled to be pleased at England winning the world cup? I disagree with both, if indeed those were the indeded points.

The first point is a nonsense. As for the second, it's even worse. It's precisely because those not otherwise interested in Rugby are now taking an interest that we ought to be pleased. Greater popularity can only help the game and can only help England's ambitions for further success. Also, do you not like seeing people in a celebratory mood???

Incidentally, I'm speaking as someone that has very little interest in Rugby.

Remember when Rona Martin (I think it was her) and the GB team won the Curling.

For two weeks the whole country went curling mad and then everyone forgot about it. Does anyone really give a dam about curling now?

You say that you dont understand the initial argument however you seem to have a reasonable grasp of it.

Its the concept that people like to be associated with success that I am getting at - its abit like people who go to Salford University then tell everyone that they are "at Uni in Manchester" thus creating the impression that they are at Mancheater University.

Perhaps you see nothing wrong with bandwagon jumping - there again you could be one of the people who have just forked out £50 for an England Rugby jersey.

ReputationRep:

For two weeks the whole country went curling mad and then everyone forgot about it. Does anyone really give a dam about curling now?
    Oh come on now, i know no one who "went curling mad", in fact in know nothing about it. i think that your point here is kinda irrelevent. I live in Twickenham, and we are hugely proud of the team. incidently, do you honestly think that the 8000 fans waiting at Heathrow at 4am this morning were just a fabrication of the media?! i think this perhaps illutrates how many "die hard" rugby fans live within the vicinity of Heathrow. Now think how many there are in the whole country. Rugby is a far more "British" sport played by real men, not boys with overinflated egos. I have no intention of offending anyone, and i am also a footie fan, though to a lesser extent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    It can be said that Llama boy is truly an idiot.
    I do not see where the tragedy and sadness comes in to this post, it must be a different interpretation of the initial thread.

It is obvious why there is an upsurge in Rugby, but it has been experienced in the re-introduction of yo-yos in 1998, the black hip-hop culture of modern day.
    This rugby fad will definately end any time soon, as the publicity the game has received will enventually grow repetitive and besides, the climax of the premiership season is drawing ever nearer and also the European Championships in Portugal.

I don't know why people now want to be associated with a game that they couldn't care less of prior to Saturday, maybe to show how 'patriotic' they were in supporting England in the interim.

My message is this: IF you want to be patriotic, join the army. Britain's foundations lie in military conquest, and to be in the army is to build our truly great country.
    Idiots are buying tight England tops at £75 each, they gay fad should be next to come.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gayboy09)
    It can be said that Llama boy is truly an idiot.
    I do not see where the tragedy and sadness comes in to this post, it must be a different interpretation of the initial thread.
    lol! you make me laugh (and not always in a good way )

ReputationRep:
    Before you read this please take into account that this is not a "troll" or post trying to **** anyone off, I just want to have a sensible discussion re media sensationalism of the RWC:

Am I the only person who is getting slightly annoyed at all the hype surrounding the Rugby World Cup?

Ok, it was good but lets keep things real ok, this is not football and nor will it ever gain the worldwide interest or appeal that football enjoys. Football is the global game and this is never going to change.

I was looking at Sky news yesterday and 70% of people rank this as being more significant then out football World Cup victory in 1966.

I was not around in 1966 and can understand that an event that happened two days ago is more significant than something that happened 40 years ago, however:

Regardless of how they dress it up Rugby is very much a minority sport. It is massive in NZ and SA where is can truly claim to be number one but it is relativley small throughout the rest of the world.

The game is fairly big in GB, France and Ireland. Average domestic attendances are around the 8,000 mark in England however I cannot for one minute imagine crowds escalating to anywhere near football status for domestic matches. Domestic attendances in Scotland and Wales are relativley poor I am led to believe (1000-4000 per match) so no chance of gaining football like status there.

The game is very much riding the crest of a wave at the moment. People who have never watched a Rugby game in their lives are going out and buying England shirts just to be in on the so called "national celebration". I did not see people dancing in fountains in London nor have I seen the mile long conga that we had in London after we beat Spain in Euro 96 so they can hardly claim that the nation is rejoicing.

I am not trying to diss Rugby or the achievement that our boys accomplished. What I am saying is we need to keep it real...the average person in the street will have forgotten all about this come Christmas and will resume worship at the altar of football.

BTW I think football is also guilty of much hype so perhaps all this is just a refreshing change?
    I don't think there was enough media sensationalism! England won something, finally! Stop being such a highbrow, psychoanalysty hater and jump on the bandwagon.

Who said Rugby was going to become the world's favourite sport, that's just dumb. And everyone knows about the 3 points you put forward. Why are you getting so upset about it are you worried that no one will go to watch football again because they will, so relax guy.

ReputationRep:
    umm i reported this thread why isnts it deleted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gumpmug)
    Why did u report it? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Why should it be deleted?

You only report a post when (and I quote) "spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts"

ReputationRep:
    nah im jus kiddin this is my fav thread here

ReputationRep:
    nah im jus kiddin this is my fav thread here
    Oh yes, that's the way to make friends and influence people :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Oh yes, that's the way to make friends and influence people :rolleyes:
    du geile verfickter schlampe! wie alt bist du? 15? genau mein lieblingsalter? hahaha! ohja ich hol mal mein kamera! ohja das ist ne richtige geile möse! hahahaa

ReputationRep:
    du geile verfickter schlampe! wie alt bist du? 15? genau mein lieblingsalter? hahaha! ohja ich hol mal mein kamera! ohja das ist ne richtige geile möse! hahahaa
    Halt die Schnauze!

ReputationRep:

You say that you dont understand the initial argument however you seem to have a reasonable grasp of it.

Its the concept that people like to be associated with success that I am getting at - its abit like people who go to Salford University then tell everyone that they are "at Uni in Manchester" thus creating the impression that they are at Mancheater University.

Perhaps you see nothing wrong with bandwagon jumping - there again you could be one of the people who have just forked out £50 for an England Rugby jersey.

LOL! No, I just don't get the logic, if something is not as popular as football, then why does that mean England's supporters ought to be moderate in celebration? As for me personally, no, I am not too keen on Rugby and I have not bought the top. However, I am pleased that England won. Usually when people run ought of things to say, they attempt to personalise the argument and this is exactly what you did. Also, I don't see what's wrong in associating yourself with success. It's a perfectly natural tendency. Why does it bother you, do you not like people celebrating their countries success in a major sporting event?

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.