Teaching as a career Watch

This discussion is closed.
Paul Williams
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi,

I'm 34 years old, degree in Computer Science, been working in the IT industry for 12 years...

Thing is I've just been made redundant and have discovered that going back to work in the IT
industry no longer appeals to me. As such, I've always fancied teaching....

What sort of paths can I take to get into teaching ? I know its slightly different in Wales
(where I am).

What sort of grant/training allowance would I get ? What about pay thereafter ?

Whats the teaching profession like these days ? Is there a shortage of teachers ? Is it easy to get
onto a training course ?

PAul.
Grant
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
"paul williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Hi,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I'm 34 years old, degree in Computer Science, been working in the IT industry for 12 years...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Thing is I've just been made redundant and have discovered that going back to work in the IT[/q1]
[q1]> industry no longer appeals to me. As such, I've always fancied teaching....[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> What sort of paths can I take to get into teaching ? I know its slightly different in Wales[/q1]
[q1]> (where I am).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> What sort of grant/training allowance would I get ? What about pay thereafter ?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Whats the teaching profession like these days ? Is there a shortage of teachers ? Is it easy to[/q1]
[q1]> get onto a training course ?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

I'm in a similar position, except I've just got an MSc in IT & I'm finding it difficult to break
into the industry at the moment, being an old git.

Check out this site: http://www.canteach.gov.uk

I phoned them, there's a shortage of IT teachers so they will be disconcertingly happy to
hear from you.

I'm Scottish, but if I go to uni in England I'll get my fees paid, a bursary of GBP6000 for the 9
months plus a loan of GBP2900 from Scotland. There's also a means tested incentive of up to GBP7000
allocated by the university for skills shortage subjects.

The salary is 17-25k (if you've got a 2:1 or higher) but at the start of your second year in the job
you get a 'golden hello' of 4k. I've heard you can negotiate a higher starting salary if you're
teaching IT. Anyone know about this?

Grant.
Philip Edwards
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I'm pretty sure you would be eligible for the grant for graduates who want to enter teaching.....I
think it's about £6000.

Although I've never taught IT in the secondary sector, I would imagine that it's one of the
best posts in teaching. Most children love IT......and most realise its potential value in the
job market.

In the mean-time, you would probably already be qualified to take some adult education
classes......at about £15 per hour. Lots of these happen in the evenings. Get in touch with your
local Adult Ed centre....they are usually desperate for IT tutors.

Phil
Witchee Poo
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Jo L's bit:
[q1]>"Philip Edwards" <[email protected] u.btopenworld.com> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]>news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> I'm pretty sure you would be eligible for the grant for graduates who want to enter[/q2]
[q2]>> teaching.....I think it's about £6000.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> Although I've never taught IT in the secondary sector, I would imagine that it's one of the best[/q2]
[q2]>> posts in teaching. Most children love IT......and most realise its potential value in the job[/q2]
[q2]>> market.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>More like, most children prefer playing games and surfing the internet, than (in my experience)[/q1]
[q1]>learning how to use wordprocessors, spreadsheets etc. So I think the statement 'most children love[/q1]
[q1]>IT' is flawed if you want to be an ICT teacher.[/q1]

I disagree Jo.

"Most children prefer..." to enjoy their work. If the majority as you suggest look for alternative
'pleasures' then perhaps it is due to - dare I say it - erm, something else... <g>

<snip>
--
Witchee
Jo L
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
"Philip Edwards" <[email protected] u.btopenworld.com> wrote in message
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I'm pretty sure you would be eligible for the grant for graduates who want to enter teaching.....I[/q1]
[q1]> think it's about £6000.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Although I've never taught IT in the secondary sector, I would imagine[/q1]
that
[q1]> it's one of the best posts in teaching. Most children love IT......and[/q1]
most
[q1]> realise its potential value in the job market.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

More like, most children prefer playing games and surfing the internet, than (in my experience)
learning how to use wordprocessors, spreadsheets etc. So I think the statement 'most children love
IT' is flawed if you want to be an ICT teacher.

Secondly most children in school do not know what they want to do when they leave school, and seem
to think that they will be 'looked after' by their parents (esp KS3 age) long after they leave
school. Getting a real job is something far off that many choose not to think about.

Jo
Paul H
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
as a prospective ict teacher, following this thread, i am wondering if both Witchee Poo and Jo L
aren't perhaps both correct. I have been into secondary school in ict lessons and i have seen both
forms of behaviour displayed. i.e those who enjoy their work ... and those who would rather doss it
off by playing on the internet. at risk of asking an extremely obvious question ... does it not
depend on the kids at least as much as the teacher. in my very limited experience, it seems to me
that those in the bottom 'set' of the 'bottom' school in my region were not remotely interested in
any work at all. they had far more important matters on their mind (fighting, vandalism etc etc).

i am just wondering (in my relative ignorance) whether this attitude can be blamed entirely on
the teacher?

personally, i wonder if perhaps those who think ict teaching is easy are perhaps finding their own
lot rather too difficult and are perhaps trying to say that everyone else's lot in the world is
easier. i.e the grass is always greener elsewhere, isn't it?.

I am wondering if the truth is perhaps more that once the kids have got past the initial euphoria of
being in an ict room and have had it pointed out that they are not actually going to doss all day on
the internet or to play games, but are in fact expected to learn and to produce work, then the
apparent 'novelty' of 'playing' on the computer will rapidly fade ... and ict will become yet
another class that has to be endured ... just like all the rest ...

[q1]:-)[/q1]

answers on a postcard to:

Paul H NW England pgce to be (possibly)

"Witchee Poo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news[email protected]...
[q1]> Jo L's bit:[/q1]
[q2]> >"Philip Edwards" <[email protected] u.btopenworld.com> wrote[/q2]
in
[q2]> >message news:[email protected]...[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> I'm pretty sure you would be eligible for the grant for graduates who[/q2]
want
[q2]> >> to enter teaching.....I think it's about £6000.[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q1]> >> Although I've never taught IT in the secondary sector, I would imagine that it's one of the[/q1]
[q1]> >> best posts in teaching. Most children love IT......and most realise its potential value in the[/q1]
[q1]> >> job market.[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >More like, most children prefer playing games and surfing the internet,[/q2]
than
[q2]> >(in my experience) learning how to use wordprocessors, spreadsheets etc. So I think the statement[/q2]
[q2]> >'most children love IT' is flawed if you want to[/q2]
be
[q2]> >an ICT teacher.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I disagree Jo.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "Most children prefer..." to enjoy their work. If the majority as you suggest look for alternative[/q1]
[q1]> 'pleasures' then perhaps it is due to - dare I say it - erm, something else... <g>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> <snip>[/q1]
[q1]> --[/q1]
[q1]> Witchee[/q1]
Slieber24
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
In article <[email protected]>, Witchee Poo
<[email protected]> writes:

[q2]>>More like, most children prefer playing games and surfing the internet, than (in my experience)[/q2]
[q2]>>learning how to use wordprocessors, spreadsheets etc. So I think the statement 'most children love[/q2]
[q2]>>IT' is flawed if you want to be an ICT teacher.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I disagree Jo.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>"Most children prefer..." to enjoy their work. If the majority as you suggest look for alternative[/q1]
[q1]>'pleasures' then perhaps it is due to - dare I say it - erm, something else... <g>[/q1]

I must agree with Witchee - my pupils love learning new skills and then trying them out. Most often,
they prefer this to using the internet (too much info at once) and playing games (ho-hum - same
thing over and over again... THEY'RE views!!).

----------------------------------------------------
Sandi

Remove NoSpam to reply.
Witchee Poo
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
lurker's bit:
[q1]>"Jo L" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> More like, most children prefer playing games and surfing the internet, than (in my experience)[/q2]
[q2]>> learning how to use wordprocessors, spreadsheets etc.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Yes , this is my experience too! I was covering a year 10 class on Friday . They were booked into[/q1]
[q1]>ICT to word process some work they had been given by the teacher. They had also been told that[/q1]
[q1]>after they had completed their work they could surf the Internet. Although I didnt intervene, I[/q1]
[q1]>know for a fact that no work was done and they spent the whole lesson surfing ( girls) and playing[/q1]
[q1]>games (boys). But what the hell! I was on cover and they were as quiet as mice <g>[/q1]

Do you think your experience of ICT via a cover lesson is a fair example? Y10, Friday afternoon, the
covering teacher wasn't ar^H^H^H^bothered... I rest my case. <vbg>

--
Witchee
Lurker
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
"Jo L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> More like, most children prefer playing games and surfing the internet,[/q1]
than
[q1]> (in my experience) learning how to use wordprocessors, spreadsheets etc.[/q1]

Yes , this is my experience too! I was covering a year 10 class on Friday . They were booked into
ICT to word process some work they had been given by the teacher. They had also been told that after
they had completed their work they could surf the Internet. Although I didnt intervene, I know for a
fact that no work was done and they spent the whole lesson surfing ( girls) and playing games
(boys). But what the hell! I was on cover and they were as quiet as mice <g>

[q1]> Secondly most children in school do not know what they want to do when[/q1]
they
[q1]> leave school, and seem to think that they will be 'looked after' by their parents (esp KS3 age)[/q1]
[q1]> long after they leave school. Getting a real job is something far off that many choose not to[/q1]
[q1]> think about.[/q1]

<G> yeah! I thought I was the only one who had spotted this. I am glad someone else has said it!
User 1951
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 19:08:40 +0100, "lurker" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>"Jo L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> More like, most children prefer playing games and surfing the internet,[/q2]
[q1]>than[/q1]
[q2]>> (in my experience) learning how to use wordprocessors, spreadsheets etc.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Yes , this is my experience too! I was covering a year 10 class on Friday . They were booked into[/q1]
[q1]>ICT to word process some work they had been given by the teacher. They had also been told that[/q1]
[q1]>after they had completed their work they could surf the Internet. Although I didnt intervene, I[/q1]
[q1]>know for a fact that no work was done and they spent the whole lesson surfing ( girls) and playing[/q1]
[q1]>games (boys). But what the hell! I was on cover and they were as quiet as mice <g>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]>> Secondly most children in school do not know what they want to do when[/q2]
[q1]>they[/q1]
[q2]>> leave school, and seem to think that they will be 'looked after' by their parents (esp KS3 age)[/q2]
[q2]>> long after they leave school. Getting a real job is something far off that many choose not to[/q2]
[q2]>> think about.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]><G> yeah! I thought I was the only one who had spotted this. I am glad someone else has said it![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
There is a poem by D H Lawrence called "Last Lesson of the Afternoon", it rather predates the common
use of computer I believe

When will the bell ring, and end this weariness? How long have they tugged the leash, and strained
apart My pack of unruly hounds: I cannot start Them again on a quarry of knowledge they hate to
hunt, I can haul them and urge them no more. No more can I endure to bear the brunt Of the books
that lie out on the desks: a full three score Of several insults of blotted pages and scrawl Of
slovenly work that they have offered me. I am sick, and tired more than any thrall Upon the
woodstacks working weariedly.

And shall I take The last dear fuel and heap it on my soul Till I rouse my will like a fire to
consume Their dross of indifference, and burn the scroll Of their insults in punishment? - I will
not! I will not waste myself to embers for them, Not all for them shall the fires of my life be hot,
For myself a heap of ashes of weariness, till sleep Shall have raked the embers clear: I will keep
Some of my strength for myself, for if I should sell It all for them, I should hate them -
- I will sit and wait for the bell.

D. H. Lawrence

**** http://user1951.tripod.com ****
Information about films,
Jack London, Lara Croft
Shakespeare and ICT program of study
last updated 30 05 2002
`P
Badges:
Report 16 years ago

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Do you think your experience of ICT via a cover lesson is a fair example? Y10, Friday afternoon,[/q1]
[q1]> the covering teacher wasn't ar^H^H^H^bothered... I rest my case. <vbg>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
LOL

I wonder why they didn't post that next door.

--
`p
Flakyman
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
My Paul, you have caused a rush of blood here, haven't you? As an avid user of the Computer both at
home for multifarious uses, and in my artroom (adobe photoshop, scanner and 1000's of images
on-screen, of artists' work) I can tell you , that in 3 years, I can count on one hand the number of
GCSE pupils who have "intelligently" used our digicam, processed their own image, and altered it in
Software. They seem incapable of seeing the computers we have fought long and hard for, in any other
way, than a posh typewriter, or a games machine. Then again, it may be our kids, who are not very
sophisticated...now give them EastEnders...and !!!!!!!!
Witchee Poo
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
lurker's bit:

[q1]>And btw, it was not Friday afternoon! Where did you get that from? I simply said Friday. It was[/q1]
[q1]>second period Friday morning.[/q1]

LOL! Of course it was Friday. Any time on Friday. It just gets better as the day goes on. I will
blame DH Lawrence for planting that seed. <bg>

--
Witchee
Lurker
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
[q1]> lurker's bit:[/q1]
[q2]> >"Jo L" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Do you think your experience of ICT via a cover lesson is a fair example? Y10, Friday afternoon,[/q1]
[q1]> the covering teacher wasn't ar^H^H^H^bothered... I rest my case. <vbg>[/q1]

well actually no! Its my general experience of ICT classes ( not cover) and often the comment of the
kids too! They dont like ICT. They like the internet. They like games. I gave the example simply
because it was recent. It could have been any class in the school, any day of the week.

I still have kids arriving in sixth form unable to do basic IT stuff because they were not
interested.
Lurker
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
[q1]> lurker's bit:[/q1]
[q2]> >"Jo L" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q1]> >> More like, most children prefer playing games and surfing the internet, than (in my[/q1]
[q1]> >> experience) learning how to use wordprocessors, spreadsheets etc.[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]> >Yes , this is my experience too! I was covering a year 10 class on Friday . They were booked[/q1]
[q1]> >into ICT to word process some work they had been given by the teacher. They had also been told[/q1]
[q1]> >that after they had completed their work they could surf the Internet. Although I didnt[/q1]
[q1]> >intervene, I know for a fact that no work was done and they spent the whole lesson surfing ([/q1]
[q1]> >girls) and playing games (boys). But what the hell! I was on cover and they were as quiet as[/q1]
[q1]> >mice <g>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

And btw, it was not Friday afternoon! Where did you get that from? I simply said Friday. It was
second period Friday morning.
Lurker
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
"User 1951" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 19:08:40 +0100, "lurker" <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >"Jo L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> More like, most children prefer playing games and surfing the internet,[/q2]
[q2]> >than[/q2]
[q2]> >> (in my experience) learning how to use wordprocessors, spreadsheets[/q2]
etc.
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]> There is a poem by D H Lawrence called "Last Lesson of the Afternoon",[/q1]

Can I quosh this before it goes further? One person makes it up, everyone believes it and before you
know it its a "fact"<g>

The lesson I referred to was second period Friday morning, so Friday afternoon and the graveyard
syndrome does not apply.
User 1951
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 19:53:31 +0100, "lurker" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>The lesson I referred to was second period Friday morning, so Friday afternoon and the graveyard[/q1]
[q1]>syndrome does not apply.[/q1]

This is a very good and important point which needed to be made. However, I think Lawrence was
referring to an alienation from learning which is often more pronounced last thing on Friday (or as
Sandi mentioned first thing on Monday) but is present in the background all the time.

There is a theory that the proliferation of tests in the last decade has added to the alienation. An
obsession with "what you can measure" has replaced what people like Woodhead sneer at "joy in
learning".

It does not have to be that way. Some teachers have done a good job of resisting the trend.

**** http://user1951.tripod.com ****
Information about films,
Jack London, Lara Croft
Shakespeare and ICT program of study
last updated 30 05 2002
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.54%
No (200)
72.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise