This discussion is closed.
:P:P:P:P:P
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
So what are people gonna wear for their cam interviews? And who/if anyone is gonna come with you? My mum has asked whether I want her to come with me but Im not sure lol. If everyone else is gonna be on their own and I walk in with my mum ill never live it down lol.
jstringer
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by :P:P:P:P:P)
So what are people gonna wear for their cam interviews? And who/if anyone is gonna come with you? My mum has asked whether I want her to come with me but Im not sure lol. If everyone else is gonna be on their own and I walk in with my mum ill never live it down lol.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jstringer)
i don't know what im gonna wear but im goin on my own, my dads just gonna drop me off then hes off down the pub.
I'm going with my Dad as I need the lift! As for what to wear, don't know yet. :confused:
Psyche
Report 17 years ago
I'm going on my own. Getting the train from here, changing in London (ugh, the underground), then staying at Cambridge for a couple of nights. Virtually everyone I've spoken to is going alone. As for what I'm wearing: black trousers, and a shirt. Smart, but not overly smart.
jstringer
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Psyche)
I'm going on my own. Getting the train from here, changing in London (ugh, the underground), then staying at Cambridge for a couple of nights. Virtually everyone I've spoken to is going alone. As for what I'm wearing: black trousers, and a shirt. Smart, but not overly smart.
Rep:
?
(Original post by jstringer)
when you say shirt you mean a white scholl type shirt or a more casual shirt?
So people are generally geting to cambridge with parents, but then going to the college on their own.
Allotriophagy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I was initially going to go on my own, getting the train to London from Oxford then on to Cambridge. But that was cutting it a bit fine for my noon exam. So then I thought I would get a bus to Stanstead and change to a bus to Cambridge. But the only one that arrived before 12 was the one that arrived at 9am, leaving Oxford at 4:30am. :-O

But now I'm getting a lift there from a friend, which is much better. Will be wearing the usual stuff - cords, cashmere jumper (it's COLD) and I may actually clean my shoes...

a.
mjf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Last year when I had my interviews, everyone wore suits - even the girls. With regards to parents - I only saw one girl come with her parents to wait outside the interview room...the rest of us were all alone!! I even travelled up from cornwall on my own!
Rep:
?
(Original post by mjf)
Last year when I had my interviews, everyone wore suits - even the girls. With regards to parents - I only saw one girl come with her parents to wait outside the interview room...the rest of us were all alone!! I even travelled up from cornwall on my own!
I think I might leave my mum in cambridge and go to the college on my own - its a rite of passage that I must do on my own lol

So while you are waiting for your interviews is it like a doctors waiting room with everyone sitting in the same room or is it a bit more lively lol ... I hope we can all chat with each other so we dont go into a spiral of nerves lol. When you finish your interview do u go back to the room where people are waiting so you can tell everyone how it went or what? Or is it people are called in groups of three ... what goes on im interested lol
mjf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think I might leave my mum in cambridge and go to the college on my own - its a rite of passage that I must do on my own lol

So while you are waiting for your interviews is it like a doctors waiting room with everyone sitting in the same room or is it a bit more lively lol ... I hope we can all chat with each other so we dont go into a spiral of nerves lol. When you finish your interview do u go back to the room where people are waiting so you can tell everyone how it went or what? Or is it people are called in groups of three ... what goes on im interested lol
Its strange really - Ive always been one to try and chat to people but you can feel the tension...and people give very short answers!! So after a while of trying to speak to people you start thinking about the interview yourself...its completely normal!!
Well we all waited in this staircase, and people turn up and different times. when you have finished your interview they will probably tell you to not talk to the others about it as it isnt fair otherwise...so I went back to my college room! I had an interview at Bristol the following morning!
Bigcnee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
So people are generally geting to cambridge with parents, but then going to the college on their own.
That's what I did.
Rep:
?
(Original post by mjf)
Its strange really - Ive always been one to try and chat to people but you can feel the tension...and people give very short answers!! So after a while of trying to speak to people you start thinking about the interview yourself...its completely normal!!
Well we all waited in this staircase, and people turn up and different times. when you have finished your interview they will probably tell you to not talk to the others about it as it isnt fair otherwise...so I went back to my college room! I had an interview at Bristol the following morning!
Ive got a test in the morning, then lunch, and then the interviews in the afternoon. Will we all go to lunch as a group cos I dont wanna sit there like a pleb eating lunch on my own lol ... im starting to get nervous ....
Rep:
?
Do you think shirt and tie is a bit much? I dont wanna seem stuck up lol, but then again I dont wanna look like I havnt bothered. White shirt? Blue shirt? What? But I dont think Im gonna wear jeans or anything like that I would feel self conscious if I was in jeans and everyone else turned up smart lol
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
If you've just sat an exam together, I should think you'll just go to lunch together unless you get a real bunch of losers.

As for parents, it's an individual thing. Mine offered to drive me to both my interviews (Nottingham and Cambridge) but I didn't want them there really, as it was my interview so I felt I should be dealing with it all on my own. Others may not feel the same.

Wear what you feel comfortable in - I wore a suit because it was what I was used to. I'm sure you won't be the only one if you do, but don't feel you have to if you don't usually wear one.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helenia)
If you've just sat an exam together, I should think you'll just go to lunch together unless you get a real bunch of losers.

As for parents, it's an individual thing. Mine offered to drive me to both my interviews (Nottingham and Cambridge) but I didn't want them there really, as it was my interview so I felt I should be dealing with it all on my own. Others may not feel the same.

Wear what you feel comfortable in - I wore a suit because it was what I was used to. I'm sure you won't be the only one if you do, but don't feel you have to if you don't usually wear one.
Thanx Helenia, useful post, tell me more lol ... I feel comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt but I know I would stand out like a sore thumb lol

When you are waiting for interviews is it the whole group or just a couple of people? God Im getting really paranoid lol
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It varies. Mine was on a Saturday, and I only saw two (maybe three) other people waiting for their medical interviews. Others say there were loads around. Either way, you'll all be in the same boat, and unless they're total arses you should be able to chat to them.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helenia)
It varies. Mine was on a Saturday, and I only saw two (maybe three) other people waiting for their medical interviews. Others say there were loads around. Either way, you'll all be in the same boat, and unless they're total arses you should be able to chat to them.
Good I think chatting will ease the nerves lol ... but I reckon there might be a few *****y people who dont want you to succed (at the end of the day it is a competition for places) nd be really snobbish towards you dont you think?
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think I might have to get the train but then I'd have to get up really early. So I'm trying to rope my Dad into driving me down there.. lol- do you think there will lots of parents wandering around Cambridge during the interview season!? That would be quite strange..

..anyway I'm wearing smart trousers and a shirt- dunno about heels though!?

Anyway good luck to all!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elle)
I think I might have to get the train but then I'd have to get up really early. So I'm trying to rope my Dad into driving me down there.. lol- do you think there will lots of parents wandering around Cambridge during the interview season!? That would be quite strange..

..anyway I'm wearing smart trousers and a shirt- dunno about heels though!?

Anyway good luck to all!
I reckon Ill get to Cambridge wth my mum and then leave her in town while I go into the college. I dont want my mum hanging around when Im nervous lol ... I hope the people are nice so we can chat together I hope they arent all snobs lol

Im wearin a shirt and trousers dunno about tie though should I? Shirt tucked in or out? What do u think lol
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I reckon Ill get to Cambridge wth my mum and then leave her in town while I go into the college. I dont want my mum hanging around when Im nervous lol ... I hope the people are nice so we can chat together I hope they arent all snobs lol

Im wearin a shirt and trousers dunno about tie though should I? Shirt tucked in or out? What do u think lol
Take the tie in your bag and see how you feel when you get there - they aren't exactly bulky.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (496)
51.51%
No (467)
48.49%

Watched Threads