The Student Room Group

Underage sex

This has probably been mentioned before, but I haven't came across it recently and feel the need to mention it.

I have read so many times on various forums and you hear about it all the time these days about girls and boys under the age of 16 having sex.
Some of these children are as young as 11 (and I am sure younger), and not only do I find it shocking, but also I find it so sad that children as young as 12/13 (11 in some cases) have had sex at such a young age! It really does make me feel sad.

I wonder what the parents are doing whilst their 12 year old children are out having sex? Maybe I am old fashioned and not understanding the norms of today, but when I was 12 my parents wouldn't let me out of their sight, there was no way I could be having sex (Christ I wouldn't even know what to do at that age).

Personally I think I was too young mentally to loose my virginity when I was 16, so these children under 13 must really not be prepared for sex, no matter how much they think they are. (Especially young girls who also won't be fully developed physically - surely this can be dangerous for them?)
The more I get older, the more I realise how children just don't seem to care anymore, they seem to know far too much these days, and it scares me that when I have children it will be 10 times worse by then. I will live in fear of letting them out of the house in case they have sex whilst they are still children. It must be devasting as a parent to find out that your 12 year old little girl has had sex.

Anyway rant over for now!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know. Damn media and peer pressure.
I think it is a great shame for them. One should be an innocent child for as long as possible.
ChemistBoy
I think it is a great shame for them. One should be an innocent child for as long as possible.

I agree. You have years and years of being an adult ahead of you, why waste your childhood? It's likely that even if you don't regret it right after, you will wish you waited when you're older.
Reply 4
ChemistBoy

I totally agree. Its when you have become an adult and you reflect back that you wish oyu hadnt been so eager to grow up. In retrospect though I had more of a childhood tha some of the kids I used to work with. Its a real shame.
Reply 5
Not only is it sad, it also makes me feel really sick :frown:
Reply 6
I had such a looong childhood. And I'm glad. People called me innocent but also wise at the same time...lol I'm starting to see what they mean now.
Reply 7
I had sex at 14 and i'm fine thankyou. I don't feel my childhood was wasted or that i was emotionally or physically not ready for it. I don't regret it at all. I think it's a very individual thing when people decide to have sex and noone else should pass judegement on it - you don't know what that person is feeling, how mature that person is. I think all we can do is give the best education possible so people can make informed and safe decisions. In some european countries such as spain (i think) the legal age is 12 anyway. In some countries you can get married at that age. xx
Reply 8
I totally agree that children at ages 11, 12+ seem to have a total disrespect those older and anyone in authority (ie. Police) [of course im not talking about all 11,12 year olds, but there seems to be a significant number that lack this respect]

Also, i think the influence of magasines such as such sugar and other girly magasines are contributing to this problem. I dont usually read girls magasines (as being a guy!), but on the odd occassion that i do, they all seem to be on topics of sex, how to please your guy, etc.
Reply 9
lynseyweth
This has probably been mentioned before, but I haven't came across it recently and feel the need to mention it.

I have read so many times on various forums and you hear about it all the time these days about girls and boys under the age of 16 having sex.
Some of these children are as young as 11 (and I am sure younger), and not only do I find it shocking, but also I find it so sad that children as young as 12/13 (11 in some cases) have had sex at such a young age! It really does make me feel sad.

I wonder what the parents are doing whilst their 12 year old children are out having sex? Maybe I am old fashioned and not understanding the norms of today, but when I was 12 my parents wouldn't let me out of their sight, there was no way I could be having sex (Christ I wouldn't even know what to do at that age).

Personally I think I was too young mentally to loose my virginity when I was 16, so these children under 13 must really not be prepared for sex, no matter how much they think they are. (Especially young girls who also won't be fully developed physically - surely this can be dangerous for them?)
The more I get older, the more I realise how children just don't seem to care anymore, they seem to know far too much these days, and it scares me that when I have children it will be 10 times worse by then. I will live in fear of letting them out of the house in case they have sex whilst they are still children. It must be devasting as a parent to find out that your 12 year old little girl has had sex.

Anyway rant over for now!

i have to agree.

i'd be disturbed if my 12-13yr old son or daughter was out doing that sort of thing.
Reply 10
spicu

Also, i think the influence of magasines such as such sugar and other girly magasines are contributing to this problem. I dont usually read girls magasines (as being a guy!), but on the odd occassion that i do, they all seem to be on topics of sex, how to please your guy, etc.

Its odd realy cause it used to be about pop stars and gossip when i was that age not how to get a boyfriend!
Reply 11
I lost my virginity very young and the older I get the more i realise how unprepared i was. of course i knew the stuff they teach you in school about protection etc but i didn't really know my own body, know what i wanted and needed out of sex in the way I do now. The sex i have now is infinitely better- I mean, I've only just started having orgasms for pete's sake. Sometimes I wish that I hadn't had to go through that and that my current boyfriend had been my first.

But then at the same time I think that I might have still been ignorant about the realities of sex if I'd waited until now. It's taken all those bad experiences for me to learn what is good. I know so many of my friends now who think that female orgasms don't exist or that they just can't have them when blatently they just don't know how and it's going to take them a long time exploring to find out what's good for them.
Reply 12
mousey
In some european countries such as spain (i think) the legal age is 12 anyway.

13. and your point?

this is the UK.
Reply 13
spicu
I totally agree that children at ages 11, 12+ seem to have a total disrespect those older and anyone in authority (ie. Police) [of course im not talking about all 11,12 year olds, but there seems to be a significant number that lack this respect]

These magazines try and promote the 'no underage sex' law but in reality I think they do the opposite - if impressionable tweenies constantly read about relationships it's pretty obvious that they'll go out of their way to fit in. Boyfriends = sex, or that's how it comes across.
Reply 14
I believe that its still a thing that kids do to look cool as it were. In their eyes, if you have sex at a young age, you must be really cool and allowed to join the possie.

It was kissing with us, its sex with them.
Reply 15
I wish I'd still kept my old magazines. I bet they look pathetic now. Kind of like how Cosmo will do in a few years time :p:
mousey
I had sex at 14 and i'm fine thankyou. I don't feel my childhood was wasted or that i was emotionally or physically not ready for it. I don't regret it at all. I think it's a very individual thing when people decide to have sex and noone else should pass judegement on it - you don't know what that person is feeling, how mature that person is. I think all we can do is give the best education possible so people can make informed and safe decisions. In some european countries such as spain (i think) the legal age is 12 anyway. In some countries you can get married at that age. xx

I'm glad your experience was a positive one, but the fact remains that however good sex education is, people still make decisions based on peer pressure, pressure from boyfriends/girlfriends, or just because they *think* they should.

In my humble opinion, the age of consent is there for a reason.
Reply 17
pikaboo
These magazines try and promote the 'no underage sex' law but in reality I think they do the opposite - if impressionable tweenies constantly read about relationships it's pretty obvious that they'll go out of their way to fit in. Boyfriends = sex, or that's how it comes across.

also, to add to my previous point that alot of the way people act is due to peer pressure and wanting to fit in with the in crowd. Magasines and the media are putting across the message to tweenagers (mainly girls) that you must look this way, all the lads will like it etc.

But some girls are not going for boyfriends of the same age but a few years older (like 15,16) and the guys at this age are perhaps ready for sex and pressure the younger girl friends into sleeping with them.
Reply 18
spicu
also, to add to my previous point that alot of the way people act is due to peer pressure and wanting to fit in with the in crowd. Magasines and the media are putting across the message to tweenagers (mainly girls) that you must look this way, all the lads will like it etc.

Which is really annoying cos you see 12-14yr old girls dressed up in short skirts and low cut tops and you're like "Don't think about that. They are way too young"
Reply 19
my sister is 10 the thought of her having sex in a few years is disturbing to say the least,

Latest

Trending

Trending