Turn on thread page Beta

If one of your future children was gay... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silver~planet)
    Well said :adore: You express the ideas I was going to, but more eloquently. What is normal, anyway?
    :dancing: thankyou hehe Normal is something the majority decide I suppose. Perhaps it would make an interesting new forum topic? :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Id be disappointed, first off i got nothing against gay people and have a couple of gay friends but i just at first would try and hide my disappointment and get over it gradually i wouldnt love them any less but when you grow up to think of someone one way and they suddenly become another your going to be disappointed really. A friend of mine told me he was gay a while ago, im fine with it shocked takes a bit to get used to and was wierd, pretty much the same concept just a bit closer to home really..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L1m3y)
    Id be disappointed, first off i got nothing against gay people and have a couple of gay friends but i just at first would try and hide my disappointment and get over it gradually i wouldnt love them any less but when you grow up to think of someone one way and they suddenly become another your going to be disappointed really. A friend of mine told me he was gay a while ago, im fine with it shocked takes a bit to get used to and was wierd, pretty much the same concept just a bit closer to home really..
    I think that's fair enough and quite realistic. It would take a very very liberal and strong parent to not be affected at all by their child coming out. It is always going to be a disappointment, because any illusions that they have for their children (as in marriage, family, grandchildren) are shattered and scattered to the winds.

ReputationRep:
    If one of my children turned out to be gay, they'd still be the same person- i'd just know they liked members of the same sex. Coming out as gay doesnt change who someone is that much, and if you loved them and were proud of them before they came out there is no valid reason to stop doing so afterwards. In fact I would be proud of them for being true to who they are and going after what they want despite the fact it will lead them into conflict with some people . I dont see what the big freakin deal is. Everyone has worries for their kids and if your child is gay it just so happens maybe your concerns are a bit different to some other parents.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think i would mind if a child of mine turned out to be gay. Its their choice its the way they are. i have a few gay friends who are really great people, i don't know if its because they're gay that they are great or they're just great people anyway, but if its cos of their gayness, it would be nice to know someone could find such a great friend in my child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madjackie)
    If one of my children turned out to be gay, they'd still be the same person- i'd just know they liked members of the same sex. Coming out as gay doesnt change who someone is that much, and if you loved them and were proud of them before they came out there is no valid reason to stop doing so afterwards.
    I'd be proud of them for simply coming out.

ReputationRep:
    In my Dad's words
    "I don't mind lesbians, but i don't want my daughter going out with one"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desktop_lamp)
    I'd be proud of them for simply coming out.
    Exactly! I think some parents fail to take account of the amount of courage it takes for their child to tell them something like that. I mean thats quite understandable what with the shock and everything but i think showing support is hugely important.

ReputationRep:
    im not sure how id react. like really really not sure. iv been sitting here while reading through this thread trying to think about it and i honestly dont know.
    i have nothing against gay people, one of my really good friends is gay and i dont think of him any differently compared to the rest of my friends just because of his sexuality.

and so, if my child came out to me i would not love them any less because of it.
    i would be a bit shocked if it kind of came out of nowhere if u no wat i mean.
    and then the issue of grandchildren. ok fair enough i dont really see myself as a grandparent at any point in my life but u dont want to cut out the option. so if i had just one kid and they turned out to be gay i think i would be disappointed at first but i would get over it.

if i had more than one child i honestly think i wouldnt mind after the initial surprise.

like someone before me said, i would be really happy that they felt they could come out to me in the first place.

but then i remember a while back i was pottering around on the home comp and i found some blog entries my little sis had written and i think she was/is (i dont no about right now) going through a lesbian phase. (im using the word phase because i think shes at the point where shes still trying to figure herself out like most 14/15 year olds, not saying that homosexuality is a phase) and i remember thinking 'oh no i might not be an aunty...'. that was kind of the first thing that popped up in my head. i dont really know wat to make of that....

oh this is a confusing issue

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing against gay people, one of my good friends is gay, but I think they ought to be rounded up and shot. If my child turned out to be gay I'd love them just the same but probably beat them anyway and cry myself to sleep because I wouldn't have any grandchildren.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    seriously im not a homophobe cos i dont believe it exists.
    That's what makes you a homophobe - not believing it exists ie. denial.

Idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puppy)
    I have nothing against gay people, one of my good friends is gay, but I think they ought to be rounded up and shot. If my child turned out to be gay I'd love them just the same but probably beat them anyway and cry myself to sleep because I wouldn't have any grandchildren.
    I think it's past your bedtime....

I HOPE you're joking....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TakemetoAvalon)
    I think it's past your bedtime....

I HOPE you're joking....
    Yes. It was meant as a summary as the ridiculous crap I've read on this read, to save other people having to cringe as they read so many posts by homophobes protesting that they're not homophobic (not aimed at all of you).

ReputationRep:
    i don't think i'd have any children. but if i did, and it was gay, i wouldnt be arsed. seeing as i'm not the kid-having type, i wouldn't be looking forward to the wedding (and grandkids, don't think i'd be babysitting all the time). in some ways it'd be less hassle - a girl wouldn't come home pregnant/boy with pregnant gf etc. i'd probably end up having more than one kid anyway.

regardless i'd still make sure they were with someone decent. i dont understand why anyone would love them less. my gay male friends have got such a huge place in my life, they're not better than either female or straight male friends but without them, i swear my life would be less interesting, less fun, and less *****y.

i think all homophobes should be rounded up and shot, that would then solve all the problems really.

edit: i'd actually be pleased to find out, cos it'd mean they trusted my love for them enough to tell me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    i think all homophobes should be rounded up and shot, that would then solve all the problems really.
    <raises hand>

I'll help!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.