The Student Room Group
you need a long spoon to eat with a ..... something or other?

well it could mean that,....
A Fifer. Someone from Fife.
i think the question is regarding the meaning. long spoon? i don't think i'm going to work that one out. long spoon, long spoon... :confused:
Reply 4
maybe it's implying that people from fife are stingy, so you'd need to take their food with a long spoon (if sitting across the table from them)
silence
maybe it's implying that people from fife are stingy, so you'd need to take their food with a long spoon (if sitting across the table from them)

sound's plausible - good thinking. I'm not convinced, but it's a possibility.
Reply 6
I think youll find that it actually means that Its hard to get to know someone from Fife! Being a Fifer myself qualifies me to answer this question.
KdySk8rGirl
I think youll find that it actually means that Its hard to get to know someone from Fife! Being a Fifer myself qualifies me to answer this question.

Erm, actually this is nonsense! It does mean Fifers are mean people! (don't attack me for saying this, half of my family lives in Fife!)
Reply 8
Surely it means 'you'll need a long spoon to sup with a Fifer', meaning you'll need a long spoon to share a fifer's food because if you ask them they'll say no so you use a long spoon and steal their food when they're not looking!!
Reply 9
feefifofum
Erm, actually this is nonsense! It does mean Fifers are mean people! (don't attack me for saying this, half of my family lives in Fife!)

Look on ANY scottish slang website and you will find that the answer I gave comes up on EVERY one. Or are they all wrong? :rolleyes:
It actually orignates from the Chinese

Yje neaod ae lyang spoyn tae sup wi a Fifer

Which translates to "you need a spoon to fight with everyone". This was a common used phrased in mediaeval China; swords were reserved for the warriors so common folk used the spoon which was very versatile.
Reply 11
md_red_uk
It actually orignates from the Chinese

Yje neaod ae lyang spoyn tae sup wi a Fifer

Which translates to "you need a spoon to fight with everyone". This was a common used phrased in mediaeval China; swords were reserved for the warriors so common folk used the spoon which was very versatile.

Ahahaha.. :p: *attacks you with a deadly spoon*
Reply 13
Daibhidh
Ye need a lang spoon tae sup wi a Fifer?

What does this mean!?!?!?!?

It means i dont know :p:
For once and for all here
Reply 15
Daibhidh
Ye need a lang spoon tae sup wi a Fifer?

What does this mean!?!?!?!?

the real quote goes "you need a long spood to dine with the devil"
it means that if you gonna associate with him, then you need a long spoon so as to not get toattally sucked in, (the longer the spoon, the further away from the edge you are)
hopeful;ly this makes sence to you!
Why dont you just google it

Latest

Trending

Trending