Yearforever
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
1) Biology, Chemistry Maths, Economics + General Studies

2) Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Geography + General Studies

3) Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Philosphy and Ethics (RS) + General Studies

So It's out of these three, and I don't know which one to pick. I haven't done geography at GCSE but I heard from people it's easy and there's hardly any difference from GCSE level.

Economics because it's a good combination but I also heard that economics is very hard and challenging .

Philosophy and ethics because it's a contrasting subject from geography and it has a unit of medical ethics which could probably help me more to the medicine side.

I'm just confused which combination would you choose and why?:eek3:
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Number three if I had to. But none of them appeal that much. Maths is yucky.
Diaz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)
Number three if I had to. But none of them appeal that much. Maths is yucky.
Maths :suith:
lightupthesky
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
number one
Sarky
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Diaz)
Maths :suith:
Oh no
laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Yearforever)
1) Biology, Chemistry Maths, Economics + General Studies

2) Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Geography + General Studies

3) Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Philosphy and Ethics (RS) + General Studies

So It's out of these three, and I don't know which one to pick. I haven't done geography at GCSE but I heard from people it's easy and there's hardly any difference from GCSE level.

Economics because it's a good combination but I also heard that economics is very hard and challenging .

Philosophy and ethics because it's a contrasting subject from geography and it has a unit of medical ethics which could probably help me more to the medicine side.

I'm just confused which combination would you choose and why?:eek3:
See, I do both those subjects and I'd probably disagree with both the things I've highlighted!
Geography isn't as easy as those people are making out; Economics isn't as hard as you heard, in my opinion.
xmarilynx
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Maybe it's just me, but personally I think geography is harder than economics - there's a lot of coursework! Philosophy and ethics is probably the 'softest' option but any would be fine, so just do whichever you will enjoy and do best at. Is further maths or another science not an option?
d123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Third one.

Geography was bad enough at GCSE
The RS combination would show a variety of skills and the ethics would be helpful
smetin92
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Number 3. a humanity subject along with the sciences really stands out, and ethics of medicine really boost you in your interview process, and makes you stand out. Geography is not easy at GSCE and is deadly at A-level. Economics would not make you stand out in the application process as it has no link to medicine. NUMBER 3!!!!
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do whatever you want as isn't for medicine you need two sciences? (Preferably as well active in a sport)

The people I know who want to do medicine do

Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

Then 1 does Sport Studies while the other French. Just pick something you're good at.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Whatever you want.

Otherwise, no 3.
DJkG.1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They're all good options.

I would go for the one with economics or philosophy & ethics - because I don't really like geography and I personally find it less challenging than the others can be, but that too is subjective.
Yearforever
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by DJkG.1)
They're all good options.

I would go for the one with economics or philosophy & ethics - because I don't really like geography and I personally find it less challenging than the others can be, but that too is subjective.
Isn't that a good thing. Btw is geography a respected subject?
AnthonyShock
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would take the Ethics and Philosophy option.

I think it makes you look well rounded and it's an essay/evaluative subject. It would make you appear more open-minded and tolerant of other opinions and viewpoints that you may disagree. Plus it's interesting!:p:
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
any of them will do. though i really wouldn't bother doing GS, no medical school will acknowledge it so you're wasting your time.

come to the med forum if you have anymore questions.
Master.K
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
any of them will do. though i really wouldn't bother doing GS, no medical school will acknowledge it so you're wasting your time.

come to the med forum if you have anymore questions.
I don't think people take general studies for fun. GS is more commonly a compulsory subject in most sixth forms.:rolleyes:
dheemal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They're all perfectly great combinations for medicine as they all have the core Chemistry. Maths and Biology... plus a diverse subject.
My advice to you is to pick the option where the 4th Subject appeals to you most or you enjoy most... No combination will give you greater stride in applying for medicine because you already have what they ask for in all your combinations.
Personally. I would choose RS, as it is incredibly diverse and can be integrated into the ethics of medicine and may help you along the way... though all the combinations are forthright and suitable for medicine

Hope I helped
Muhammad Awais
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Im doing Biology Chemistry Maths and Russian
TheSnail
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Tbh after Biology, Chemistry and Maths just do which one you like the most and think you have the bet chance of getting an A in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
tcameron
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Option 3.
I did your option 2 at AS just now and trust me, Geography AS is not a calm subject at all, and is much more difficult than at GCSE. I think it's the hardest one out of the three options. RS is probably the easiet and seems the more interesting.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (338)
83.66%
No (66)
16.34%

Watched Threads