C-grade to A-grade? Watch

This discussion is closed.
dfghj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Is it possible to go from getting a C-grade at AS Level in a subject to getting an A as the overall A-Level grade at the end of the two years without resitting the AS modules, or not? Just wondering about the possibility of carrying on with German next year
kitsune
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Velouria)
Is it possible to go from getting a C-grade at AS Level in a subject to getting an A as the overall A-Level grade at the end of the two years without resitting the AS modules, or not? Just wondering about the possibility of carrying on with German next year
welll if you got 209 points in AS and 271 in A2... you will end up with an A in Alevel... however I think it's really difficult as A2 is really a lot of work with languages (literature exam!) ... even if you got a VERY VERY LOW C (180) you could still get an A overall if you get full marks (300) in A2!
dfghj
Rep:
?
(Original post by kitsune)
welll if you got 209 points in AS and 271 in A2... you will end up with an A in Alevel... however I think it's really difficult as A2 is really a lot of work with languages (literature exam!) ... even if you got a VERY VERY LOW C (180) you could still get an A overall if you get full marks (300) in A2!
Urgh so I'd basically have to get 100% in my A2 exams to possibly get an A then? :eek:
amie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I agree, going from a C to an A is possible, but probably very difficult and a lot of hard work without resits
bricktops
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yes, i am speaking from expericence, i got 1 b and 2cs at as level. and have now raised each of my as grades by one grade so now i am on ABC at as and am looking at similar grades at alevel
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why do you think you'll only get a C in German? It would depend on how high the C at AS was and how well you did in the A2 units. 3 examples: if you get 180/300, which is the lowest you could get for a C, you'd need full marks at A2 to get the 480/600 needed for an A. If you got 195/300, which is a mid-C, you'd need 285/300 at A2. If you got 209/300, which is 1 mark off a B, you'd need 271/300. So it is possible, but you'd need a very high A at A2, and considering A2 is supposed to be a lot harder than AS, you'd have to put a lot of work in to do that.
dfghj
Rep:
?
But if I, say, resat some of my AS modules in January of next year and got my grade up to a B and then did my A2 exams as normal in the summer ... am I likely to get an A if I work sufficiently hard enough?
dfghj
Rep:
?
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Why do you think you'll only get a C in German? It would depend on how high the C at AS was and how well you did in the A2 units. 3 examples: if you get 180/300, which is the lowest you could get for a C, you'd need full marks at A2 to get the 480/600 needed for an A. If you got 195/300, which is a mid-C, you'd need 285/300 at A2. If you got 209/300, which is 1 mark off a B, you'd need 271/300. So it is possible, but you'd need a very high A at A2, and considering A2 is supposed to be a lot harder than AS, you'd have to put a lot of work in to do that.
Oh right I see, thank you

Well I'd be lucky to pass German to be honest, so I'm more hoping/wishing/praying for a C
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But if I, say, resat some of my AS modules in January of next year and got my grade up to a B and then did my A2 exams as normal in the summer ... am I likely to get an A if I work sufficiently hard enough?
Obviously it would be a lot easier to go from a B to an A than from a C to an A. What's with the negativity anyway? You haven't even done the exams yet! :p:
dfghj
Rep:
?
Obviously it would be a lot easier to go from a B to an A than from a C to an A. What's with the negativity anyway? You haven't even done the exams yet! :p:
Lol, I know I haven't :p: ... it's just I think I'm about a C-grade in German but if I took it next year I was just weighing up my chances of getting an A if I worked a little harder.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Lol, I know I haven't :p: ... it's just I think I'm about a C-grade in German but if I took it next year I was just weighing up my chances of getting an A.
Do you want to drop a subject or do 4 A2s?
dfghj
Rep:
?
Do you want to drop a subject or do 4 A2s?
Probably drop one - well, drop French but continue to do it at college or something. It really does depend on my grades. If I got the same grades in French and German than I would probably take German but if my French grade was vastly better than my German, I would go for French.
Aj2003
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's not impossible with a couple of retakes, in my opinion.

Do you guys think it's possible to get A's at A2, having achieved 218,236 and 235 at AS????

The subjects are Communication Studies, AVCE ICT and History respectively.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Probably drop one - well, drop French but continue to do it at college or something. It really does depend on my grades. If I got the same grades in French and German than I would probably take German but if my French grade was vastly better than my German, I would go for French.
Cool. I'm having problems deciding what to do next year at the moment. I want to do 4 A2s, but since they're all arts subjects, the workload just might kill me. I definitely won't drop French or sociology, so it's just a case of deciding whether to drop a subject and then choosing between English and history. That'll probably depend to some extent on results as well. If I manage to get AAAA, which is what I'm hoping for, I'll probably do 4 A2s, but if I don't do that well, I'll drop one, depending on results in those 2 subjects and who I'll have teaching me next year lol.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Aj2003)
It's not impossible with a couple of retakes, in my opinion.

Do you guys think it's possible to get A's at A2, having achieved 218,236 and 235 at AS????

The subjects are Communication Studies, AVCE ICT and History respectively.
Well, you'd need to get 262 in Communication Studies, 244 in ICT and 245 in history at A2, so all As. It's not impossible, especially as you got a mid-B and 2 high Bs. If you put in the work, you should be able to do it.
Aj2003
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well, you'd need to get 262 in Communication Studies, 244 in ICT and 245 in history at A2, so all As. It's not impossible, especially as you got a mid-B and 2 high Bs. If you put in the work, you should be able to do it.
I've done the maths already , but i meant in terms of A2 workload etc....

My coursework has generally been A's through the year, or so i've been told which hopefully will help and take some pressure of in the exams.

Although i had a look at some exemplar coursework throughout the year for all of my subjects and there are some ***** ones that got A's in the past, and mine are much better and should defo get A's.

Sorry it sounds so arrogant, but i honestly believe it's true and come August, hopefully those coursework modules will be above 80%.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's possible to jump two grades up if you work very hard though. It depends on your UMS score, if it is a middle C or high C you would have a chance, while low C you still have a chance but not that big. I'm sure you can do it as you sound like you want to the grade A.
sugarplumc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why don't you just repeat the AS Modules? It's not really any extra work to repeat language modules because with a language it's continuous learning anyway. I got an A in AS German (just) last year and I need an A this year so I repeated my oral and am going to repeat my reading and writing paper just to try and get some more marks. Other than reminding myself of my presentation I haven't done any extra work for it.
German is soooo hard though- I'm so worried about not getting an A and missing my offer.
silence
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i went up from d to a in a latin module. that was after i got back a photocopy and saw how the examiner had simply missed out marks when counting up both ticks and the subtotals of all the sections.
kitsune
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes! That's whay I did... I got C in Physics last year... then resat a module in January and now I've got a high B and I think I'm able of getting an A in Alevel!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1168)
79.35%
Leave (304)
20.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise