The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What's the question?
Reply 2
I was 'taught' OCR AS Level ICT by a biology teacher, so effectively I taught it to myself. I managed to just scrape an A (by 8 marks), so I dropped it at the start of Y13. What I am getting at is if you need help with your coursework, post what you need to know on here and I will do my best to help.

Chris
Reply 3
chrisbphd
I was 'taught' OCR AS Level ICT by a biology teacher, so effectively I taught it to myself. I managed to just scrape an A (by 8 marks), so I dropped it at the start of Y13. What I am getting at is if you need help with your coursework, post what you need to know on here and I will do my best to help.

Chris

you seem to know what you're doing so maybe you could help me big style. i'm having trouble with my coursework, which I've based on a small company in Sheffield. I've tried ot focus on three areas, making invoices, an ordering list and stock take system, which I plan to do using Excel. now, the thing is that I'm having trouble coming up with possible solutions and comparing softwares, as excel is the only option and it just sounds stupid comparing it to access or word because it's just obvious to use excel right?
Reply 4
hi! i handed my project in and have recieved feedback. My requirements specification is apparently very vague and so is my input, processing and output needs. What do I need to do? He really is not helping me at all.
Lyd
giddylid1
hi! i handed my project in and have recieved feedback. My requirements specification is apparently very vague and so is my input, processing and output needs. What do I need to do? He really is not helping me at all.
Lyd

Is this for As ICT? because if it is for your requirements part of your (specification) you would need to include:

What are the hardware and software requirements of the new system? What is the Minimum specification of the computer it will work on? what are the Minimum software requirements? (windows Xp, office etc).

the differences and similarities between the current system and proposed new ICT based system.
the old and new system should have alot in common, however there should be differences also. you might want to state if the new system will add new features to the Previous system that was not already there.

You Might want to list the Performance criteria that can be measured against when you come to evalate your project.

two types are Qualitative critria (how the finished piece looks or will look)
Quantitative critria can be measured with values (numbers etc) an example of this is that it could take less than a minute to process data or do calculations. where as using the old Method it took 5 mins ETC.

ICT skills of the user

How competent is the user with using a computer and navigating through the software.

I hope this helps
from
Buffy Willow
giddylid1
Lyd

On your input, processing and output needs you might want to:

describe what data is collected, what processing is done and what out puts are produced and state how each stage is achieved by the old system. this Might include examples of order forms and in voices from the current system.

If you need any more help or this is unclear let me Know I'll do my best to help out

from
Buffy_Willow
annabelle
you seem to know what you're doing so maybe you could help me big style. i'm having trouble with my coursework, which I've based on a small company in Sheffield. I've tried ot focus on three areas, making invoices, an ordering list and stock take system, which I plan to do using Excel. now, the thing is that I'm having trouble coming up with possible solutions and comparing softwares, as excel is the only option and it just sounds stupid comparing it to access or word because it's just obvious to use excel right?

Excel Is the Base sostware for doing this sort of project although access does carry some useful bits within it. It is best not to get confused. Use exceel and ask your teacher to help you with the issues your having. If no help is given Give me a description of what your prpblem is in as much detail as you can and I will do my best to help. But what ever you do there is no point comparing excel to the others because they are just not cut out to do this sort of project.

Buffy_Willow
Reply 8
is anyone doin AS ict or has done it. im stuck on the coursework
im making a cinema system
Reply 9
I'm doin ASVCE ICT too, and I'm doin the excel project now and even though I no what im doing (an electronic register system) its very time consuming! and requires a lot of writing up on ever little thing you do which is very annoying!
Reply 10
has anyone done an evaluation for their as level ict cw? im not sure what to questions to ask in user feedback
I would say that you should not panic if your writeup begins to gorw at an alarming rate. My IT coursework ended up at about 100 pages, and my friend did even more, around 150 pages.
Reply 12
Hey there,

i'm about to hand in my project however there is a huge mess up in my system especially in the macro's section of my project, and my teacher refuses to help me.

is there someone who could help me
Reply 13
Hiya I've pretty much finished my AS IT project. I did profit and loss etc.. for my dad's plumbing system. I think I'm gonna get a C. I do need to include a justification for Excel though, I noticed Annabelle had asked the same question about comparing excel to other packages. (I'm not sure how you quote what someone else has written, sorry.)
Could anyone send me a copy of their justification to give me a better idea. I'll give anyone anything they want to look at too.
My best tip for anyone is to explain EVERYTHING in their implementation, even how to colour a page, as simple as that.
Does anyone think this is a rather large piece of coursework, I was shocked when we were given it to do!
Reply 14
What do u have to include in the implementation section.When is ur coursework in.Mine's in 2 weeks.Sum ppl ain't even started yet.
Reply 15
To everyone carrying onto A2 ICT.. do your A2 coursework as early as possible, work on it over this summer if you need to - but get it over and done with ASAP.
Reply 16
The above advice by James is what you need to get in your head asap. Also, listen to wiwarin_mir's comments mines ended at 161 pages.
Reply 17
ICT Coursework for the AS is not that complicated - the trick is to make sure your writing is top notch (this is much more important that having a fancy system that the person who marks it cannot understand).

What system are you doing?
What package are you using?
What write up have you already done?

If you post these (or mail) I can give you a hand.
Reply 18
My AS system was relatively straight forward.. alot of VB though. I spent more time on the writeup and got 110/120 UMS in the end which I put down to the time I spent on the writeup.
James_W
My AS system was relatively straight forward.. alot of VB though. I spent more time on the writeup and got 110/120 UMS in the end which I put down to the time I spent on the writeup.

It seems like ICT is just as hard as Computing, yet Computing is seen as more technical/sciency and is more respected. Weird...

Latest

Trending

Trending