The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2010 Competition

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Does anyone know of any practice tests online to do over the next couple of days?
Reply 41
I got the Bryon book a couple of days ago and having done a practise test online I agree with the previous comments - it's a generalised numeracy test book so some of the sections aren't relevant to the Fast stream test. Then again, I have found it useful just using maths again, and it has highlighted the areas I need to work on. I did a mock test last summer on the Fast stream internships and got in the 99th percentile in verbal and 24th percentile in numerical so need to seriously address the balance!
Reply 42
redalert
I got the Bryon book a couple of days ago and having done a practise test online I agree with the previous comments - it's a generalised numeracy test book so some of the sections aren't relevant to the Fast stream test. Then again, I have found it useful just using maths again, and it has highlighted the areas I need to work on. I did a mock test last summer on the Fast stream internships and got in the 99th percentile in verbal and 24th percentile in numerical so need to seriously address the balance!

Where did you access the mock test?
Reply 43
AP.
Where did you access the mock test?

I went on the Fast Stream Development Programme last summer which was an 8 week internship and included a mock assessment centre and feedback on the verbal and numerical tests - it was very useful!
redalert
I went on the Fast Stream Development Programme last summer which was an 8 week internship and included a mock assessment centre and feedback on the verbal and numerical tests - it was very useful!

Just a quick point on the internships, as I suspect some people will get very excited by their existence. They are targeted at minority groups (Summer Development Programme) and people who have disabilities (the Summer Placement Scheme).

http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/jobs/Diversity/Summer/index.aspx

The schemes are highly competetive but I do think they offer a great opportunity to those eligible. I managed a fab young graduate this summer on the SDP, and I think we both got a lot out of it.
Reply 45
I've just been trawling my way through the 2009 thread - I've reached about page 37 so far! I would recommend that other people here who are applying for the first time do the same - it answers lots of common questions and has a lot of information about the early stages of the application process.
Reply 46
Thanks for the answer mate appreciate it.

Just one thing, regarding the answer for (2), say that I go and apply for FCO and put central depts as a 2nd choice. If I am notsuccessful in getting the FCO one will that water down my other app to the central depts, or are they both completely seperate entities?

Apologies for the mass of questions, just wanna make sure I have the info correct!!
Reply 47
Badwa
Just one thing, regarding the answer for (2), say that I go and apply for FCO and put central depts as a 2nd choice. If I am notsuccessful in getting the FCO one will that water down my other app to the central depts, or are they both completely seperate entities?

Around 60-80% of Fast Stream applicants put the FCO as their 1st preference and it will make no difference to your application where you put 'central depts' on our application form - as long as its listed. The only thing is that, if you are successful at the assessment centre/FSAC, the Central Depts won't start looking for your [guaranteed] role for you, until our your higher preferences have rejected you.

From the notes in the year I applied:

You can apply for up to 4 of the options within the Graduate Fast Stream scheme. However, you cannot choose the Diplomatic Service and Science and Engineering options in the same year. If you choose either, they can only be your first choice.

Having chosen an option from the list, indicate your preferred priority sequence by using the relevant choice number button. Please note that Central Departments is pre-selected as your fourth option, as there is no Final Selection stage for this option. We recommend you retain it as your last preference because, if successful, you will not be considered for any other options selected after Central Departments. However, if you deselect Central Departments, an appointment is not assured even if you are successful at the Fast Stream Assessment Centre (FSAC).

It is important to consider your options carefully. Some may have a sufficiently high number of "first option" candidates (successful at FSAC), to fill the limited places at their FSB, and in this case applicants who have listed them below their first choice may not be considered.
Badwa

Correct, if you're unsuccessful for DS but score highly enough for central depts then your application will be automatically cascaded to central depts as long as you've put it down as one of your choices.
redalert
I've just been trawling my way through the 2009 thread - I've reached about page 37 so far! I would recommend that other people here who are applying for the first time do the same - it answers lots of common questions and has a lot of information about the early stages of the application process.

This ^^^

Otherwise some of us end up repeating ourselves every year...
If someone has the time, an FAQ drawn from the 2009 thread would be very worthwhile.
Reply 51
Thats why I put the link to last years in the first post - I intend to point people to it if I think theres a duplicate question. The recruitment report is also linked from the first post and thats often quite handy.

An FAQ would be good, but I doubt any of us can be bothered and people who ignore last years thread will ignore that too, or read it and ask for the 'real' answer.
Reply 52
Hi. Just thought I'd make myself known. I've trawled all the way through the last two years' forums over the last week and almost feel like I've lived through the whole process twice with everyone else already.. Though possibly slightly faster..
I'm planning on applying for the fast stream this year, with Diplomatic Service as my first option (I do have good reason for this, before someone attacks me).
I just have one question regarding the numerical reasoning tests, which I'm not sure anyone can actually answer: does anyone know whether each question is equally weighted? It's just some seem a lot more complicated than others. :-)
They are all equally weighted. Regarding the practice tests - is the best indication you can get that you are in the top 45% or does it say for example top 10% for some people?
The Fast Stream has a lengthy recruitment process so I think even if you aced the tests you will have to wait a fait bit for results.
Reply 55
Popa Dom
From what iv read on here, am i right in thinking that if im still awaiting results now (took them yesterday) I'm in for a long wait (ie. borderline)?

Nope.

You're in for a long wait however well or badly you did. The first baseline will be taken in October so you will be awaiting results for a month at least. If you're amber banded after that you'll wait for another month before the pass/fail marks are reassessed. Final pass/fail marks are set in mid December.
Reply 56
Hey,
Just thought I'd join in as I've been following these threads for months now waiting for this year's entry to open, thanks for all the helpful posts.
Tried some practice tests recently, which were ok - planning to practice over the next week and take them for real then. Best of luck to all applying this year.
Reply 57
I don't think I'll even be signing up this year until mid-November. I'm unlikely to be able to get the time at the weekends to do any prep or even take the online tests until there is nothing left to do in the garden, IoW when the ground is frozen solid...

Its just a shame that I can't do the tests in January, after our eldest daughter gets her 2 1/2hrs of free nursery time each day and with our youngest having started this month, then I'll get at least two days of five hours of not looking after the little monkeys, as opposed to my current one session of 2 1/2 hours each week...

Needless to say I am very much looking forward to getting the time to apply for work, never mind actually getting some...
Reply 58
I'm going to wait a while before signing up too as there seems to be no advantage in taking the online tests early and I could use some more numerical practice time!
Reply 59
This is going to sound like a stupid question, but are 'self-assessed reasoning tests' practice ones? As in, are they taken into account as part of the application process?

And also, does anyone know if after doing the self-assessed reasoning test you then have to complete the actual online tests within a week?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending