Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone retaking or taking as a first time, the Edexcel Nuffield Chemistry exam in January?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecaped)
    Is anyone retaking or taking as a first time, the Edexcel Nuffield Chemistry exam in January?
    Im not sure if its Nuffield, but Im resitting AN edexcel unit 2 paper.

ReputationRep:
    What Topics Have You Studied For This Unit?

ReputationRep:
    What Topics Have You Studied For This Unit?
    Its mainly organic chem, energietics and Hess cycles as well as industrial chemisty.

ReputationRep:
    yeh, it is a different syllabus. I am doing halogenoalkanes, covalent bonding, halogens and alkenes.

ReputationRep:
    is the paper out of 60 raw marks

ReputationRep:
    is the paper out of 60 raw marks
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    I do the nuffield syllabus I'm not retaking but I am sitting a new module (unit 4) in January which does include some stuff from unit 2 (which is a shame because I despise all of that halogenoalkane topic!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    I do the nuffield syllabus I'm not retaking but I am sitting a new module (unit 4) in January which does include some stuff from unit 2 (which is a shame because I despise all of that halogenoalkane topic!)

lucy, did u have to do those horrid pratical tasks in the as year (unit 3)?

also doing unit 4, in jan.
    retaking unit 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xtra786)
    lucy, did u have to do those horrid pratical tasks in the as year (unit 3)?

also doing unit 4, in jan.
    retaking unit 2
    I actually liked the practical component of the AS level! It was the part which I scored the best in anyway Plus if you do well, it gives you some 'safety' marks in case you don't do so well in unit 1 or 2...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    I actually liked the practical component of the AS level! It was the part which I scored the best in anyway Plus if you do well, it gives you some 'safety' marks in case you don't do so well in unit 1 or 2...
    never heard that one before?

came out with an A in the end?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did - I was glad I had a 'safety net' from unit 3 because I found units 1 & 2 this year pretty hard compared to some of the past papers I had done previously

ReputationRep:
    AS chemistry is like gcse. Especially unit 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    AS chemistry is like gcse. Especially unit 1.
    Edexcel AS Chemistry is like GCSE. The specific courses i.e. Nuffield (and Salters for OCR) are supposed to be more challenging, not sure though as I haven't actually seen a 'normal' Edexcel AS Chemistry paper before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Edexcel AS Chemistry is like GCSE. The specific courses i.e. Nuffield (and Salters for OCR) are supposed to be more challenging, not sure though as I haven't actually seen a 'normal' Edexcel AS Chemistry paper before.
    More challenging and therefore lower grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    More challenging and therefore lower grade boundaries.
    This implies that it takes around the same amount of 'work' to get an A in a 'normal' paper than to get an A in a Nuffield/Salters paper which I don't think is the case (and neither do examining boards/unis/schools). Although the grade boundaries may be lower, you still need a greater amount of knowledge of 'harder' topics to get a set number of marks in Nuffield/Salters, whereas you can have less knowledge of 'easier' topics to get a greater number of marks in 'normal' papers. Hence the lower grade boundaries in Nuffield/Salters but it still doesn't mean you are using the same amounts of knowledge to get a set grade in each of the papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    This implies that it takes around the same amount of 'work' to get an A in a 'normal' paper than to get an A in a Nuffield/Salters paper which I don't think is the case (and neither do examining boards/unis/schools). Although the grade boundaries may be lower, you still need a greater amount of knowledge of 'harder' topics to get a set number of marks in Nuffield/Salters, whereas you can have less knowledge of 'easier' topics to get a greater number of marks in 'normal' papers. Hence the lower grade boundaries in Nuffield/Salters but it still doesn't mean you are using the same amounts of knowledge to get a set grade in each of the papers.
    Basically if you are good at chemistry then you would benefit from a more difficult paper.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sitting the Unit 4 Nuffield Chemistry exam in January. I'm planning on retaking my Unit 2 though (I got absolutely horrible on in last June), but my Chem teacher reccomended that I just do it together with my Unit 6 synoptic in June.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.