Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need to get this of my chest.

Chemisty is PISSING me off. No matter how hard I try or revise i just can't get an A in it.

For example our first module in January I thought I got an A in it, low and behold I just scraped a B. We just did a mock in chemistry I hadn't revised fully but I thought I would have got a D/E, I got a bloody U.

And the internal topic exams we just did one on topic 9 (van der vaals, Intermolecular forces) this easy easy stuff. And I had revised it very well and so feeling down already I thought I'd aim for a B (not A); I got a D! I can't believe this I did so much revision for it.

Then there is coursework I again tried very hard it just didn't happen I again scraped a B.

I'm even having private chemistry tuiton but alas grades are not improving and still put a lot of work into it.

Thanks for listening to the rant

btw. I do edexcel nuffield chemistry.

Chemistry is just a really difficult subject, you don't HAVE to get an A in it. I'm the same in physics. (Except my c/w was full marks but my January exam was a D.)

ReputationRep:
    I hate chemistry too. Its been the bane of my existence for the past two years. Ugh. My teachers thought I was a complete idiot in Yr 12 and said I'd get a D, whereas in reality it was just their bad teaching. I didn't learn much from their classes and relied on myself and my chemistry tutor to get the high C I did in my AS. Now I'm hoping to shove two fingers up at them and get B in the summer!

The best part will be knowing that I did it without their help, so they can't say that they must have taught me so well for me to have improved so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GarageMc)
    I need to get this of my chest.

Chemisty is PISSING me off. No matter how hard I try or revise i just can't get an A in it.

For example our first module in January I thought I got an A in it, low and behold I just scraped a B. We just did a mock in chemistry I hadn't revised fully but I thought I would have got a D/E, I got a bloody U.

And the internal topic exams we just did one on topic 9 (van der vaals, Intermolecular forces) this easy easy stuff. And I had revised it very well and so feeling down already I thought I'd aim for a B (not A); I got a D! I can't believe this I did so much revision for it.

Then there is coursework I again tried very hard it just didn't happen I again scraped a B.

I'm even having private chemistry tuiton but alas grades are not improving and still put a lot of work into it.

Thanks for listening to the rant

btw. I do edexcel nuffield chemistry.
    Perhaps it's more to do with exam technique. Do all the past papers and look through the mark schemes.

ReputationRep:
    No1 likes chemistry its a fact...its tedious and frankly pointless....the only way 2 get an A in chemistry is past papers and mark schemes....chemistry (unlike fysics) is a subject that u dnt need 2 understand to get an A in u just need to memorise....theres only so much u can get asked on optical isomerism for e.g. just learn da mark scheme answas.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like chemistry and don't find it really difficult, though nuffield is a bit bum and is apparantly the hardest a level chemistry course there is...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackin boi)
    No1 likes chemistry its a fact...its tedious and frankly pointless....the only way 2 get an A in chemistry is past papers and mark schemes....chemistry (unlike fysics) is a subject that u dnt need 2 understand to get an A in u just need to memorise....theres only so much u can get asked on optical isomerism for e.g. just learn da mark scheme answas.
    i like it, and it's hardly pointless. *geek*

ReputationRep:
    Your problem must be exam technique. Revise the past papers & mark schemes, that will help a lot. My teacher makes us revision notes and definition sheets, if your's doesn't then i'd suggest you do that. On my OCR course you get like 14/54 marks on definitions alone sometimes!

ReputationRep:
    Im taking the same Chemistry course. It's extremely hard and I wish I had never taken it now. I'm not one for avid revising either; although Chemistry is requiring alot of revision! Would be extremely happy with a C overall. Have been getting D's in practice papers we have been doing.

Chem makes me really angry. We have bad teachers; I don't really understand it either, but even when I ask they can't explain it. They just spew out all the stuff that their supposed to teach in as quick a time as possible. Rediculously bad teaching methods.

ReputationRep:
    But look on the bright side: if you work hard and effectively, and get a good grade in what is one of the most repected subjects, that's gonna look good isn't it. Think positive! :|

ReputationRep:
    Yup Im doing edexcel nuffield chemistry........Its a bum chemistry course!!
    I had a synoptic mock exam the other day...I thought I had done pretty well and thought I had revised well....but ended up getting a E!! :eek:......Plus taking the text book in doesnt help..either....coz theres actually nothing in it....oh btw people do u know if you can mark pages with postet notes...for reference....my teacher says we cant....but I believe and a number of people in my class believe that we can...looking off the react site....but were still unsure....
    It doesnt matter how hard I revise, I just seem to keep getting B's & C's in my modules.....its annoying.....I only need a B, but I really want an A......So I know how you feel......

ReputationRep:
    i am taking as core maths, mechanics , biology , physics and chemistry.

The EASIEST of all is defenately chemistry!!! very easy!
    i dont know how come you all find it so difficult. maybe you understand smth else from what u r reading? because sometimes chemistry books are indeed confusing

ReputationRep:
    Yea...I will admit it....
    Chemistry can be a bit of a ***** some times...
    One of the hardest A levels from the statistics (its btw Physics, maths and Chem))
    but I love it...the scary though it I would still love it even if I failed, lol
    Plus our teacher is completly out of his mind...hahah, fantastic

and Stratomaster is right...it looks amazing on paper if u get a gd grade in it

ReputationRep:
    Try a CGP book. I find them pretty darn good.
    + Good luck , the exam's approachin! (if ur doin Mod B AQA)

ReputationRep:
    chemistry is the hardest a level!
    you think youve done well in the exam till you get your results back
    it will all be over in a fortnight so just need to get down to it for one last effort - in my case

ReputationRep:
    I don't like chemistry to be honest. I find it rather boring and tedious too but maybe that's just me although I attribute a lot of it down to my teachers for the past 2 years! It could've been so much more exciting but it wasn't, oh well, just more exams to go.

Best advice I can give you is just to relax a bit and take things logically. You'll find a lot of harder stuff easier to grasp if you build up from the bottom and work upwards rather than drifting from topic to topic. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Out of all the people taking A2 chemistry in my school there are only 2 who are taking it because they enjoy it
    Everybody else is going to read Biology or Medicine or something similar next year where they must take Chemistry, or at the very least took it to help with Biology this year. There is only one chem student who doesn't take biology

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing edexcel...which is harder Unit 4 or 5?...Both r impossible but which to the further extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackin boi)
    I'm doing edexcel...which is harder Unit 4 or 5?...Both r impossible but which to the further extent.
    4 is rather easy.......5 is a real killer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tooth)
    Im taking the same Chemistry course. It's extremely hard and I wish I had never taken it now. I'm not one for avid revising either; although Chemistry is requiring alot of revision! Would be extremely happy with a C overall. Have been getting D's in practice papers we have been doing.

Chem makes me really angry. We have bad teachers; I don't really understand it either, but even when I ask they can't explain it. They just spew out all the stuff that their supposed to teach in as quick a time as possible. Rediculously bad teaching methods.
    Same here. Our 'normal' teacher has been 'sacked' (But the Head of Chemistry did not tell us) and we had about 6 supply teachers in the past year! So I need to learn all the Extension stuff (Edexcel Chem A) all myself. I'm still hoping to get an 'A'. though. Anyone know where to get past papers?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 11, 2005

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.