The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
spikeymike
Dell Studio might be better then, better graphics card and the full 4GB DDR3 RAM.

bit expensive for me right now though :frown: I'd be wary of buying say an acer at a lower price though.
Reply 241
Hi, I have been researching on buying a laptop with good specs with the budget of £400. I was also interested in buying 2 of the ones already linked in the first page before I came across this thread.

Which would you recommend- Compaq CQ61-427SA or the Asus X5DIJ?

They are similar in specs.. but I was wondering which do you think is best in terms of longevity and reliability?

I do intend to play light games but the main purpose is for it to handle muiltitasking which with 4GB of RAM shouldn't be a problem.
Also- I heard that the Compaq is incompatible with the router- Netgear.. Does this apply to the Asus too?
Xyrstine
Hi, I have been researching on buying a laptop with good specs with the budget of £400. I was also interested in buying 2 of the ones already linked in the first page before I came across this thread.

Which would you recommend- Compaq CQ61-427SA or the Asus X5DIJ?

They are similar in specs.. but I was wondering which do you think is best in terms of longevity and reliability?

I do intend to play light games but the main purpose is for it to handle muiltitasking which with 4GB of RAM shouldn't be a problem.
Also- I heard that the Compaq is incompatible with the router- Netgear.. Does this apply to the Asus too?

i would personally go for the Asus out of those 2.

where have you read about the wireless issues? :confused:
Reply 243
alexsheppard11
i would personally go for the Asus out of those 2.

where have you read about the wireless issues? :confused:

My brother bought the Compaq and called HP because even though he established a wireless connection it flickers off at times. They said there's incompatibility between the Netgear router and the network adapter or wireless card.. Something along those lines. Their solution was to buy another branded router. It's weird because we have Dell, Toshiba and Sony Vaio laptops that work fine with the router.

Why would you choose the Asus?

I think also the graphics card is better in the Compaq?

Are there any other laptops that you'd recommend with specs like that within my budget?
Xyrstine
My brother bought the Compaq and called HP because even though he established a wireless connection it flickers off at times. They said there's incompatibility between the Netgear router and the network adapter or wireless card.. Something along those lines. Their solution was to buy another branded router. It's weird because we have Dell, Toshiba and Sony Vaio laptops that work fine with the router.

Why would you choose the Asus?

I think also the graphics card is better in the Compaq?

Are there any other laptops that you'd recommend with specs like that within my budget?

pft, i doubt there is an incompatibility:rolleyes:
their just trying to shift the blame and not have to pay out for a repair
Reply 245
alexsheppard11
pft, i doubt there is an incompatibility:rolleyes:
their just trying to shift the blame and not have to pay out for a repair

:ditto:
Reply 246
Hi,

I want to buy a Dell laptop and I'm stuck between two.

The first is the Studio 15 with the 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 545v, 4GB of DDR3 and a 500GB hard drive which costs £579.

The second is the Studio 17 with 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650, 3GB of DDR3 and a 320GB hard drive which costs £599.

Would you pay a little more for the better graphics card and bigger screen and sacrifice the 1GB RAM and 180GB of hard drive space or go for the cheaper option?

I don't really want to pay over £600 so adding more RAM and a bigger hard drive to the Studio 17 isnt a option.

Thanks.
Reply 247
C17TWM
Hi,

The first is the Studio 15 with the 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 545v, 4GB of DDR3 and a 500GB hard drive which costs £579.

The second is the Studio 17 with 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650, 3GB of DDR3 and a 320GB hard drive which costs £599.

Would you pay a little more for the better graphics card and bigger screen and sacrifice the 1GB RAM and 180GB of hard drive space or go for the cheaper option?

I don't really want to pay over £600 so adding more RAM and a bigger hard drive to the Studio 17 isnt a option.

Thanks.

That depends, what will you be using the laptop for? If you're going to be gaming the Studio 17 would probably be better.
C17TWM
Hi,

Thanks.

personally i think a 17" laptop is too big:smile:
Reply 249
The laptop will be used for movies, music, browsing and occasional gaming (I'd like it to run iracing and flight sim x).

Is there anything else you can recommend in a similar price range (£600)? I've looked around and the Dell seems good value for money.

Also is the 1GB graphics twice as powerful as the one in the Studio 15 or does it not work that way?

Thanks
C17TWM
The laptop will be used for movies, music, browsing and occasional gaming (I'd like it to run iracing and flight sim x).

Is there anything else you can recommend in a similar price range (£600)? I've looked around and the Dell seems good value for money.

Also is the 1GB graphics twice as powerful as the one in the Studio 15 or does it not work that way?

Thanks

no
Hey guys.

My sister's got £400 to spend on a laptop and she's calling me tonight to ask for advice... talk to me! :biggrin:
Reply 252
mikeyd85
Hey guys.

My sister's got £400 to spend on a laptop and she's calling me tonight to ask for advice... talk to me! :biggrin:

That Asus laptop on post #2. :p:

Well this is slightly over £400, it was under. :colonhash:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/190374
spikeymike
That Asus laptop on post #2. :p:

Well this is slightly over £400, it was under. :colonhash:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/190374

:p:

I've never looked on the first page. Good shout though. Cheers fella.
Reply 254
mikeyd85
:p:

I've never looked on the first page. Good shout though. Cheers fella.

:facepalm2:

I expect people to read the guide. :colonhash: :p:
spikeymike
:facepalm2:

I expect people to read the guide. :colonhash: :p:

You can't expect an IT professional to rtfm, surely? :p: :woo:
Reply 256
mikeyd85
You can't expect an IT professional to rtfm, surely? :p: :woo:

It's not a manual. :ta:
Reply 257
Any ideas on the best netbook I can get with £200?
Reply 258
Carl
Any ideas on the best netbook I can get with £200?

Samsung N130?

There isn't a lot to choose from at this price, the specs are roughly the same.
Reply 259
^it's still an N270 processor. The full story is that yesterday I bought an Asus Aspire One 571h (2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 11.6" screen, Windows Vista) but it's horrendously slow, I checked out some reviews and apparently its the fault of the lacklustre processor. I got the laptop for £180, which is a steal, but if it's no good then the fact that it was a bargain is moot. I'm going to return it, my mission is to find an N450 equipped laptop for around the £200 mark.

Latest

Trending

Trending