Turn on thread page Beta

Should Britain Ban the Burkha? watch

France is considering banning the Burkha.

Personally, I think that veiled women are probably subjugated and no matter how much they protest that they choose to wear the veil, this is only due to indoctrination from an early age, and probably pressure from their fathers/family members. Also, in Islam the Burka is not compulsory! You need to dress modestly ... the way they dress is a humiliation and quite simply degradation. And has no place in a modern world. But should it be banned?

No, not really. Unless you're a state employee going about state business...

And Banastre Tarleton? How strange...

ReputationRep:
    Will they ban other forms of face covering? I can see Halloween being a barrel of laughs if we're not allowed to wear masks and cloaks, and personally I don't see a difference between preventing someone from covering their face because of religious connotations, and preventing them from covering for other reasons.

Load of authoritarian tripe, trust the Daily Fail.

This of course only applies to people in public places, and would have no impact on people in employment, where employers should be able to set whatever dress requirements they choose.

ReputationRep:
    Im not touching this one with an infinitely long pole.

(Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    Will they ban other forms of face covering? I can see Halloween being a barrel of laughs if we're not allowed to wear masks and cloaks, and personally I don't see a difference between preventing someone from covering their face because of religious connotations, and preventing them from covering for other reasons.
    Halloween is once a year.

ReputationRep:
    So we are going to go and tell women who happily of their own accord wear the burka that they're not allowed to wear it and we're freeing them from evil paternal authoritarianism? Or tell them the fact they're happy wearing it is wrong because they have been indoctrinated?

While we're at it, we ought to ban Nuns from wearing their wimples or force the Church to be more open to women! Ken Livingstone made a very good point about it on Newsnight yesterday - picking on Muslims is a vote-winner.

(Original post by Alasdair)
    No, not really. Unless you're a state employee going about state business...

And Banastre Tarleton? How strange...
    What does that mean?

ReputationRep:
    I am a muslim. Yes ban the burkha. It is irrevelant. It is intimidating and threatening. The only use I can think of is in the cinemas hiding popcorn bought from tescos.

(Original post by Georgecopter)
    While we're at it, we ought to ban Nuns from wearing their wimples or force the Church to be more open to women! Ken Livingstone made a very good point about it on Newsnight yesterday - picking on Muslims is a vote-winner.
    You can see a nun's face!
    Do you even know what a Burkha is?
    I am not picking on Muslims - nor is anyone else - we are simply adopting common sense.

(Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    What does that mean?
    Well, to my mind, the state should promote religion at all. So we shouldn't allow state employees wear religious insignia while doing their state-run job, in which they're a representative of the state. So in practice, teachers, police officers, jobcentre plus employees, etc., etc.

ReputationRep:
    You can see a nun's face!
    Do you even know what a Burkha is?
    I am not picking on Muslims - nor is anyone else - we are simply adopting common sense.
    So people don't have the right to cover their face anymore?

And whose common sense is it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Alasdair on this; religion should play no part in any state affairs, so I would ban the burkha there. However, if individuals want to wear it on their own time, that's fine.

(Original post by Alasdair)
    Well, to my mind, the state should promote religion at all. So we shouldn't allow state employees wear religious insignia while doing their state-run job, in which they're a representative of the state. So in practice, teachers, police officers, jobcentre plus employees, etc., etc.
    Arh I thought for a second, you were civil servants ...
    But what about normal business? Imagine going into McDonalds and being served by someone behind a Burkha!

ReputationRep:

It can be quite intimidating, you know. Thats why bank robbers do it! (And anonymity of course, before anyone questions my awareness. )
    Rich

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Flipping hate walking around Bradford and seeing countless women wandering around dressed head to foot in black with only their overly made-up eyes on show. It's very disconcerting not being able to see their entire faces.

I'm also thoroughly against the burkha because of what I experienced when I worked in Max Spielmann (again in Bradford). Women would come into the store in burkhas and ask for a passport photo to be taken for a driving license/passport/general ID. I'd ask them to remove the burkha, but they would refuse. It was absolutely ridiculous.

And whose common sense is it?
    Since when was it a right to cover your face?

ReputationRep:
    France is considering banning the Burkha. I think we should do it here, too.

Personally, I think that veiled women are probably subjugated and no matter how much they protest that they choose to wear the veil, this is only due to indoctrination from an early age, and probably pressure from their fathers/family members. [/url]
    who says indoctrination is bad?
    I'm indoctrinated not to empty my bowels in the street. I don't mind.

ReputationRep:
    Arh I thought for a second, you were civil servants ...
    But what about normal business? Imagine going into McDonalds and being served by someone behind a Burkha!
    Private employers should be able to set whatever restrictions on dress they see fit.

I'm guessing McDonalds would ban staff from wearing burkas as a condition of employment.

But this is a government mandated limit on what people wear in their free time, not when they are working, which I believe is wrong and stupid.

ReputationRep:
    What if they have bad acne and wish to cover their faces? What if they value this extra additional item of clothing which isn't necessary for their religion? There are legitimate reasons for wishing to cover one's faces, and restricting one's freedom to wear what one likes when it isn't tremendously harmful to anybody else (i.e. in their private property, on the streets, when they're not working with members of the public in an important state institution, when the veil or burkha may become problematic, et cetera.) seems a tad unnecessary. I agree with Jack Straw and Ken Livingstone on the matter (as usual). The Burkha shouldn't be targetted though - I'd apply the same rules for wedding dresses, hoodies and so on and so forth.

Sarkozy should look a tad closer to home and criticise the discrimination against women within the French Catholic Church before trying to make vote winning moves by feeding on anti-Muslim feeling. The French "philosopher" (lol) on Newsnight was pretty crap in his defence of Sarkozy's statements compared to Livingstone.

The problem of people inheriting religions isn't really a pressing problem at all in this country, either, unless it's an extreme variant which may lead to the infringement of other people's rights.

ReputationRep:
    It is wrong to outright ban them, on generalisations and so fourth. People should be able to wear whatever they wish - Barack Obama said it best. No one is crying over what nun's wear do they? You talk about indoctrination, by that arguement, we could ban religions stating that they only follow it due to pressure from relatives and indoctrination. No one should be restricted to wear what they want, from turbans, to veils and so fourth - if they wish to.

That article shows as, herself as a muslim woman, but, I don't think it would be farfetched to say she has a very self-interpreted extremely watered down version of Islam. Nothing shocking though, you get them in all religions, both the extreme liberal as well as just plain extreme.

Meh.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.