A couple of brief questions Watch

This discussion is closed.
Apple Jones
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Ive almost finished this homework assignment save two questions:

Regarding Magnetism and Motors

Explain why one scientist would use their left hand for the motor rule while another would use their right hand, and they would both be correct.

--I understand the right hand rule but I dont understand how this would work

You have the following materials : A well trained squirrel, a squirrel treadmill, an armature, two wires, al light bulb, a split-ring commutator, and a horseshoe-shaped dipole magnet. Draw a generator using hte materials listed above. Be sure to label

-- Is this as easy as I think it is? It almosts seems like a trick when compared amongst the other questions on this home work.

I appreciate all help
F1 fanatic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Apple Jones)
Ive almost finished this homework assignment save two questions:

Regarding Magnetism and Motors

Explain why one scientist would use their left hand for the motor rule while another would use their right hand, and they would both be correct.

--I understand the right hand rule but I dont understand how this would work

You have the following materials : A well trained squirrel, a squirrel treadmill, an armature, two wires, al light bulb, a split-ring commutator, and a horseshoe-shaped dipole magnet. Draw a generator using hte materials listed above. Be sure to label

-- Is this as easy as I think it is? It almosts seems like a trick when compared amongst the other questions on this home work.

I appreciate all help
The left hand rule is for magnetic induction and the right hand rule is for the force produced by a wire. Therefore they are both right. But they are used for different things.

Left hand rule is for your electric dynamo, right hand rule of for your electric motor. I think thats right anyway :rolleyes:

For the squirrel stick the squirrel on treadmill, connect him up to the armature with a split ring commutator. connect to wire which is coiled in the magnet. Also have the other 1 coiled in the magnet and connected to the bulb. The squirrel runs, turns the armature, which induces a current, which is induced across into the other wire which feeds the bulb. Something along those lines anyhow
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (621)
80.65%
Leave (149)
19.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise