What is the age restirction for working in the pub? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I mean behind the bar and serving drinks
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    18 methinks

ReputationRep:
    I work in an espresso bar - licensed premises and i'm only 17. I am allowed to pour any alcohol and give the customer it, but I cannot take any money for it. So, other people (over 18) have to put it through the till. Crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Franz Ferdinand)
    I work in an espresso bar - licensed premises and i'm only 17. I am allowed to pour any alcohol and give the customer it, but I cannot take any money for it. So, other people (over 18) have to put it through the till. Crazy.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    not really the same thing, but when i worked at sainsburys they gave me these 3 training days and it said to sell intoxicating liquor you had to be 18+ (this is the laws for supermarkets and im guessing it is for bars too)

ReputationRep:
    yea it's 18 because if you can't serve alcohol till 18, no pub will give you a job since there that would be the bulk of your job..would be a waste of their money hiring an under-18..

ReputationRep:
    You can't sell alcohol until you're 18, but you can get work in some pubs/bars when you're 16, collecting glasses, washing up, and things. Generally only larger, busier places (chains, often) have regular glass-collecters, but some pubs hire people for specific occasions.

ReputationRep:
    If it was a 21+ bar, how likely would it be to get employed there at 18?

ReputationRep:
    Not very likely, but still worth asking.

ReputationRep:
    It is essential that you are below an age at which you would have a substantial minimum-wage entitlement!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerHow to become an online tutorCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.