Boring summer. feeling very sad and lonely, and loser-ish. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I just finished first year of uni. During my years at school, I used to be incredibly shy and lonely and I never really made friends. So, it's summer now, I'm back home (my hometown is very small) and I'm feeling very lonely here. I have a few acquaintances and I hope I'd be able to meet them but they don't seem really interested in meeting or hanging out. I've unsuccessfully tried getting a job. I'm so bored at home and i'm feeling like I felt back in the days - even more - a total loser with no friends.

I'd like to go travelling a bit but my parents are so happy to see me that I'd feel bad if i went away.

I'm thinking of learning a new language and/or a new instrument, but everytime, I can't help thinking how lonely and friendless i am...it makes me so depressed.

Any advice?
douchebagz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
likewise
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
invite some of your friends from uni to stay for a bit? or just go off visiting them

theres no point hanging around making yourslef depressed, just to make your parents happy. i'm sure they would be much happier if they knew you were having a good time
Hunnii
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I just finished first year of uni. During my years at school, I used to be incredibly shy and lonely and I never really made friends. So, it's summer now, I'm back home (my hometown is very small) and I'm feeling very lonely here. I have a few acquaintances and I hope I'd be able to meet them but they don't seem really interested in meeting or hanging out. I've unsuccessfully tried getting a job. I'm so bored at home and i'm feeling like I felt back in the days - even more - a total loser with no friends.

I'd like to go travelling a bit but my parents are so happy to see me that I'd feel bad if i went away.

I'm thinking of learning a new language and/or a new instrument, but everytime, I can't help thinking how lonely and friendless i am...it makes me so depressed.

Any advice?
Awwwwh, you poor poor anonymous person. :console:

Go out; every and any opportunity that comes up, take it. You'll likely find someone interesting and make a bunch of new friends.

Keep yourself busy. Continue to apply for jobs. Learn to play an instrument, the piano would be wonderful! If you learn that, then you could teach me over TSR. That should take a bit of time haha. Taking up a new language would be equally wonderful. Do you know French? I can teach you a bit. You can still have fun when you're all alone. Are you an avid reader? Read a few books and immerse yourself in the world of fantasy.

I hope you overcome all these obstacles hun :hugs:
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Summer = no worries

Just chill out and do whatever you want
Nutta!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Same-meveryone seems to be working though uni isnt till quite late kinda annoying
MancStudent098
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Any advice?
Get a job, earn some money, spend it on going travelling for a bit. Your parents might be pleased to see you but lets be honest I doubt they'll be wailing or nashing their teeth if you spend a couple of weeks of the summer doing a bit of travelling.

Might be worth going to see Uni peeps if any of them live in interesting places?
robocop1andahalf
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry to steal your thread OP, but I can relate a lot but the trouble is I graduated a couple years ago but still feel like that. I don't even know how to get a bar or shop job and although I made some great friends at uni and also while living abroad, coming back home where I hardly had any real mates from my school days did sap the confidence and self-pity did not help and any advice my folks would give was useless, they are hardly social success stories anyway.

It's all very well that you are thinking of learning an instrument or new lingo but I can understand that a lack of confidence holds you back. You say you have made some good friends at uni, why not contact them and meet up? And if you want to learn something new, look up any local classes? You will have to push yourself and I know that is not easy if you are not feeling confident.

Bonne chance!
Paul PTS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hunnii)
Go out; every and any opportunity that comes up, take it. You'll likely find someone interesting and make a bunch of new friends.
Learn to play an instrument, the piano would be wonderful!
Do you know French? I can teach you a bit.
Read a few books and immerse yourself in the world of fantasy.
1.immerse yourself in the world of fantasy.(get some alcohol drinks,but mostly strong one)
2.learn French.(to learn it better speak only French)
3.go out and take any opportunity.(kick someone unknown man from behind,don't forget to speak only French)
4.so you'll find someone interesting and new friends.(they will run after you there and back so you get a nice sport)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLzlz0-AMu4
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks for the replies...I actually don't think I could go and visit some uni friends as they have their own lives at home. It's a bit funny that people suggest I learn french, it's actually already my second language I'm going to try to learn portuguese or spanish.
robocop1andahalf
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks for the replies...I actually don't think I could go and visit some uni friends as they have their own lives at home.
:confused:

That is still no reason not to hang out with them? They can show you round thier home towns perhaps? Hey, if I invited a friend from afar round my hometown I would show them round.
ttx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Any advice?

Volunteer for something you're interested in ?
Rain82
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago

Any advice?
i also feel bad about leaving my parents as they rely on me to help them out, as my mum has really bad arthritis so needs help with cooking and cleaning.
but to be honest you're in a better position than me, i mean you've spent practically a year at uni so i'm sure they're not gonna miss you that much... don't you have any brothers or sisters that can keep them company...
also with the few friends that you do have, go out with them and meet even more people. seriously it's not gonna help if you just sit at home on the pc.
i know easier said that done but give it a try
good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (242)
66.12%
No (124)
33.88%

Watched Threads