Missing an exam? Watch

This discussion is closed.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Apparently, if you miss an exam due to illness and you're in Year 13, the exam board will use your coursework mark (if applicable) and your file of work throughout the year which you send them, as well as your predicted grade, to work out what you're likely to have got. If you're in Year 12, they don't do this because you have the chance to resit, so you'll just fail that exam.
Really? Interesting, I didn't know that until you replied to this thread! If there is no coursework in A2, I guess the use your file of work only then. It will be hard to give an A2/A-level grade when the file of work is good while the predicted grade is not though (e.g. for me, my work at school is good, but the predicted grade is not that good).

(Original post by SexyKe)
The AS year isnt a problem, its the fact im doing A2 and this is my last chance to sit exams unless i did a third year at college.
I'm sure you will do fine. If you don't get accepted by your firm choice, you could go to your insurance choice. If that doesn't work, you could take a year out and repeat them and re-apply again.
AATTMM
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Hawk)
Anyone know what happens if you miss an exam?
I don't mean a whole subject, say just one module? I have always heard they use predicted grades is this true, or do you jsut lose all marks for that module?
I suppose it isn't as bad for AS as you can redo it next year, but for A-levels UCAS offers will be depending on it.
You don't get predicted grade unless the exam board know you won't be there for a good reason - i.e. you're in hospital and can't revise or something like that. Otherwise, if you're just sick or something, you just get an X... nothing you can do about it.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by AATTMM)
You don't get predicted grade unless the exam board know you won't be there for a good reason - i.e. you're in hospital and can't revise or something like that. Otherwise, if you're just sick or something, you just get an X... nothing you can do about it.
Is an X and a U the same thing? Both drag your grade very down though.
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
U = less than 40% of the UMS
X = didn't turn up for the exam
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Bekaboo)
U = less than 40% of the UMS
X = didn't turn up for the exam
If you get an U or X, does the grade still go down? For example, you might go down from a B to a C.
planetzod
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes otherwise you could just skip the hard modules
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (487)
80.1%
Leave (121)
19.9%

Watched Threads