Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any one see in Times today that students at Newnham (Cam) are voting on whether to admit males? Wonder what applicants are feeling with that news particularly if they've applied especially because it's currently all women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Any one see in Times today that students at Newnham (Cam) are voting on whether to admit males? Wonder what applicants are feeling with that news particularly if they've applied especially because it's currently all women.
    well i dont mind that much,.....but i thot one of the cool things was its all female.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it's fine to have all-female colleges... but why can't you have all-male ones to even it out? (I'm female btw, in case I get accused of chauvinism )

ReputationRep:
    I don't know a single male who would be up for single sex further education. I mean f**k it man, you only live once.

ReputationRep:
    lol! Ok good point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I reckon it's fine to have all-female colleges... but why can't you have all-male ones to even it out? (I'm female btw, in case I get accused of chauvinism )
    Because the natural male - female ratioi is evened out with the existence of all female colleges.

ReputationRep:
    by the way i have it from a very reliable source (Haz) that it wassnt Newnham that had the vote but St Hildas Oxford!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    by the way i have it from a very reliable source (Haz) that it wassnt Newnham that had the vote but St Hildas Oxford!
    Erm I think I'm more reliable lol!!!

No we are not having a student vote. The governing body, ie the fellowship of the college (not students) are voting tomorrow on whether to change the college statutes in order to admit men. The students do not have a say in it, sadly.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it's Newnham that are having the referendum. Don't know whether it's actually influential though??

Have to say, I don't know if I'd have come to Cambridge if I'd been pooled to New Hall or Newnham. I'm not boy-crazed or anything, but I spent 5 years in a girls' boarding house and I've had enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Yep, it's Newnham that are having the referendum. Don't know whether it's actually influential though??

Have to say, I don't know if I'd have come to Cambridge if I'd been pooled to New Hall or Newnham. I'm not boy-crazed or anything, but I spent 5 years in a girls' boarding house and I've had enough!
    That would have been an absolutely stupid reason not to go. There are men here when we want them here, it is NOT like a girls' boarding school. I am taught by men, and I meet men in lectures and social events, but it is nice to be able to relax in an all-female environment when you need one. Lots of people are unsure about coming here but completely change their minds when they actually come because it is just so nice and relaxed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    That would have been an absolutely stupid reason not to go. There are men here when we want them here, it is NOT like a girls' boarding school. I am taught by men, and I meet men in lectures and social events, but it is nice to be able to relax in an all-female environment when you need one. Lots of people are unsure about coming here but completely change their minds when they actually come because it is just so nice and relaxed.

Hmmm, I don't know... I think it depends on the person. I guess I would have tried it if I'd been pooled to an all-female college but I do know of one person at Newnham, I think (a friend of a friend) who's so unhappy that she's dropping out to go somewhere else. So I don't think it's for everyone. I know I tend to get on a lot better with lads than with women... And there's no point in going somewhere you're going to be unhappy, after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Hmmm, I don't know... I think it depends on the person. I guess I would have tried it if I'd been pooled to an all-female college but I do know of one person at Newnham, I think (a friend of a friend) who's so unhappy that she's dropping out to go somewhere else. So I don't think it's for everyone. I know I tend to get on a lot better with lads than with women... And there's no point in going somewhere you're going to be unhappy, after all.
    I know of a few people here who are unhappy but that has absolutely nothing to do with the single sex status. It will only be an issue if you treat it as one, and it is not like you will never ever see men. There are plenty of women in other univeristies who live in single sex halls of residence and it is exactly the same; only the domestic side of life is affected by the single sex status of the college, but it protects opportunity for women in a university which is still very male-dominated at all levels. So many people change their minds after being very unsure to begin with, and I think this shows that the single sex status is not as much of a problem as people think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    That would have been an absolutely stupid reason not to go. There are men here when we want them here, it is NOT like a girls' boarding school.
    It wasn't a girls' boarding school - it was mixed and I didn't even board, and the guys could come round if we wanted them to (although obviously not to our rooms) but I just don't want to carry on in an environment like that. You and lots of others are clearly very happy at them, which is great, but I was by no means always happy with my house and the girls around me and I don't think I'd want that to continue at uni - this is my clean break from the old place.

However, I do support the women's colleges and think they should stay, I just wouldn't like to be in one.

ReputationRep:
    well ive applied to newnham and i think tis really positive to have a female college in a male dominated world.....i wuld never have gone to an all girls school....but im really keen on newnham,....its like the best of both worlds...girls college, mixed uni. ne tips.....my interviews on thursday?????

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.