Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    While having a revision guide opened face down on my chest and lying on the sofa, I've been thinking. You know when animals, insects, organisms copulate, how do they know who to copulate with? Take for example a cat. How does a cat know that it's a cat, and how does it know that what it's mating with is also a cat? Couldn't it accidentally mate with a dog instead?

ReputationRep:
    they just do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shazzam)
    they just do!
    That's not an answer!

ReputationRep:
    Smelling the right feramones? (sp?)

ReputationRep:
    this question has got a really easy answer but i cant think what rite now :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Equally, how does it know how to do it ?
    Why does it bother to do it?
    Does it understand why it does it??
    Does it enjoy it?

shrug.

ReputationRep:
    How do humans know they have to mate with humans :eek:

ReputationRep:
    How do you think humans would know if we didn't have communication, sex-ed and various other things? It's a biological imperative. Think about it this way: have you ever considered having sex with a cat, dog, cow etc? (if you work on a farm, or are inclined this way, I mean have you ever been walking along, seen a dog and said "wow, I'd like to mate with that!"). In most cases (i hope) the answer is no. You mate with humans because of your biological imperative.

For the same reason, without knowing why or even how perhaps, you would still be able to have sex with someone else. That's why we have a sex drive - to procreate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jd27)
    How do you think humans would know if we didn't have communication, sex-ed and various other things? It's a biological imperative. Think about it this way: have you ever considered having sex with a cat, dog, cow etc? (if you work on a farm, or are inclined this way, I mean have you ever been walking along, seen a dog and said "wow, I'd like to mate with that!"). In most cases (i hope) the answer is no. You mate with humans because of your biological imperative.

For the same reason, without knowing why or even how perhaps, you would still be able to have sex with someone else. That's why we have a sex drive - to procreate.
    Yeah, I was just going to say pheramones, but that answer was better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wild thing)
    How do humans know they have to mate with humans :eek:
    lol , u should never sleep with a Dog or a b**** thats what ive heard :eek:

in answer to the actual question i think they can differentaite their kind from another. They may be 'slighlty' ( ) dumber than humans but a cat can tell a cat and a dog apart :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sumitk87)
    lol , u should never sleep with a Dog or a b**** thats what ive heard :eek:

in answer to the actual question i think they can differentaite their kind from another. They may be 'slighlty' ( ) dumber than humans but a cat can tell a cat and a dog apart :p:
    really :eek: :eek:
    I've heard that we should only sleep with b***** :eek:

ReputationRep:
    How is that a difficult question? I'm sure a cat can tell another cat from a dog. Besides, imagine a cat mating with a alsatian. Or a cow mating with a frog. Or a capybara mating with a goldfish. It just doesn't happen does it?

P.S. What do you get if you cross a labrador and a rotweiler? A dog that scares the **** out of you and then runs away with the toilet paper.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe we should stop while we're ahead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    I think we have an answer
    Ah, but that's not sex for procreation - it's masturbation, like a dog humping your leg. It's not so strange given some of the things adolescent boys get up to - and if you don't know what i'm talking about, read portnoy's complaint

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    I think we have an answer
    That is hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    OMG
    bummed by a tiger that must be petryfing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    While having a revision guide opened face down on my chest and lying on the sofa, I've been thinking. You know when animals, insects, organisms copulate, how do they know who to copulate with? Take for example a cat. How does a cat know that it's a cat, and how does it know that what it's mating with is also a cat? Couldn't it accidentally mate with a dog instead?
    that's what their brains are for. they separate things into: things to eat, things to run away from, things to mate with, and rocks. occasionally they get confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    How do you know that who you are mating with is also a human? :eek: Same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    I've never seen a rabbit 'copulating' with it's food; carrot or otherwise.
    some humans get a lil confused :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    "If people are going to abuse animals by putting them in circuses they should expect to be bummed."

Thanks Lo Hek, thats a great outlook on animal rights.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.