bulimia? Watch

This discussion is closed.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ant87)
if someone occassionally tries to make themselves sick after meals, but never really succeeds, and is relatively in other areas of their life, does this person have bulimia/other eating problem?
It depends what else they do. Bulimia can be diagnosed if the person is engaging in other “compensatory” behaviours e.g. fasting, laxatives, excessive exercising, and diuretics and so on. Attempting to purge in itself does not constitute bulimia, though it is possible, (well quite likely since they’re trying to purge) the person has some kind of issue. Erm, please don’t tell me you’re starting…

(Original post by Goldilocks)
know exactly how you feel, iI used to try that all the time because i felt so guilty, but could never actually be sick. I guess so long as they dont carry on and do it too frequently it doesnt make them bulimic (if thats how you spell it?!)
Dude, once you start, it’s all downhill from there…Plus, it doesn’t matter if you have the label, the act is still harmful, seriously.

(Original post by SammyD)
The strict definition of bulimia is that for a period of 6 months or more the patient binges (eating an excessive amount of food in a certain time period) which is followed by compensatory behavior such as vomiting, excessive exercise, laxatives or fasting. To be officially diagnosed as anorexic your friend would have to have been doing this at least twice a week for a period of 3 months or more.

A lot of teenage girls experiment with trying to make themselves sick, either to lose weight or as attention seeking, but give up when they don't succeed. If it is a friend who is doing this keep an eye on her, if she has other obsessive tendencies then this is likely to become a problem but otherwise you could just talk to her generally about her eating and try to help her avoid situations where it's tempting to binge/purge, eg don't go to lunch in mcdonalds
Bulimia is purging twice a week for three months. Anorexia has weight criteria, periods etc etc. True, people do “experiment” but EDs are not silly little diets gone wrong.

(Original post by Lozza)
i read that 1/3 of people make themselves sick at some point for weight loss. i think it's stupid. i think people that do it are stupid. why not just eat healthy food in the first place, save yourself a bit of cash by not binging, and dont do something that will kill you? when you make yourself sick, you only throw up 25% of what you've eaten in terms of calories apparently.
Throwing up the odd meal won’t make you lose weight. Yes, I agree vomiting is stupid. People who vomit to lose weight are stupid, but when it goes beyond the initial weight loss drive, then it’s no longer a choice. Yes, it seems so simple, just don’t buy food, don’t throw up, but eventually it becomes something the person no longer has a conscious choice over and people don’t seem to realise that they can’t just stop. It’s not as if bulimics think “Oh whoops, I ate xyz, hmm I’d better go puke now, tee hee…” It’s addiction. Of course it has so many negative consequences, and bulimics are all too well aware of these, but they can’t JUST STOP. It’s really not that simple! Oh, and there’s no set % of calories that get purged. There are so many factors that affect this figure, it’s not even worth discussing. Anyway, it varies hugely. Starbuck is right – you seem to lack understanding and compassion.

---

Other general comments: EDs are not fashions!!! Gwar!!

Skinny doesn’t equal ED, and ED doesn’t equal skinny. I’d like to bet a few of those people just do lots of coke…

We did EDs at school, it was a joke. So few people have any vaguely accurate ideas about EDs.
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lozza)
actually i've been there and done that and worn the (size 6) t-shirt,
That is so...Meh...
saz_1989
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by No Future)
That is so...Meh...
?? explain?
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It was as if the fact that you were a particular weight somehow validated your ED...Like it proved you had an ED...Size isn't really the issue...
saz_1989
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It was as if the fact that you were a particular weight somehow validated your ED...Like it proved you had an ED...Size isn't really the issue...
was a joke at the fact that i didn't think size 6 was thin when i was that size. i dont need to prove i had one, hell it's not something to be proud of. bah, i'm just going to end up getting wound up because people still treat mental disorders as some kind of fashion that people want to have because it's cool to think that you're fat when you're thin or something. it's not.

edit: i'm aware i'm making no sense and i'm also grumpy because i hate special relativity and i'm revising it now...sorry if i sound like a meanie
SammyD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Sorry I was really tired when i wrote that post, I meant bulimia is binge/purge twice a week for three months. I'll go back and edit it, although someone has started another thread with all the proper definitions on.

I'm not sure what I think of the criteria, sometimes i think they are too strict and other times i think they are about right. I have one friend who knows about my ed and he has researched quite a lot about it to try and help me, but he still doesn't understand. When I first started being sick I was too scared to go for help because i thought people would think I'm one of those silly girls for whom it's just a phase or a way of attention seeking, now it's too late. And I don't know what I could say to anyone to help them understand, other people just don't get it.

People who vomit to lose weight are stupid
I don't know how you can say that, you looked like you had some understanding of ed's and now I am just so offended. It's a perfect example of people just not being able to make the connection, they just don't get it. Would you say to a depressive that it's stupid to get so upset over nothing? Or to an alcoholic just to not drink?
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Sorry, Lozza...
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't know how you can say that, you looked like you had some understanding of ed's and now I am just so offended. It's a perfect example of people just not being able to make the connection, they just don't get it. Would you say to a depressive that it's stupid to get so upset over nothing? Or to an alcoholic just to not drink?
Sorry, I was being bitter and sarcastic.
SammyD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's ok, there have been several eating disorder threads recently and it's nice to know that there are other people who understand, but at the same time some people are posting such b******s that it's really pissing me off, they are just spreading their ignorance.
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's ok, there have been several eating disorder threads recently and it's nice to know that there are other people who understand, but at the same time some people are posting such b******s that it's really pissing me off, they are just spreading their ignorance.
I know, erm I really hope you don't mean me there. I agree, I've read A LOT of crap...
eurasianfeline
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i've made an ED post last night. hope that would be useful.

(it's in the list of important threads)

please tell me if i've missed out anything. i was rather tired by the time i've finished posting.

and i know what you mean by being aggravated by misleading posts. hope my thread would clear a few things up and that we can gradually help more people understand ED!!
fairygirl21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lozza)
actually i've been there and done that and worn the (size 6) t-shirt, so sadly i DO have knowledge behind eating disorders. and i know *from experience* that it is one of the most stupid foolish things ever. it might sound heartless, but when i say that starving yourself and making yourself sick and whatnot is bloody insane, i speak as someone who knows. you however, have only touched on it in psychology, so please, dont tell me i'm the one who doesn't understand. :dong:

edit: im very ashamed i went a little mental at one point and dont really want to go into it, but if you really want to know the thought process behind it (and how to try to fix it) to help yourself/a friend then feel free to ask.
Ok, kiddo. No need to bite my head off. Just seems amazingly ironic, thats all. :rolleyes:
RieLouise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've noticed that many sufferer focus on the size of their clothes. When I was ana...oops anorexic I focused on the scales. That number going down. down, down every day. I felt powerful. I was in control. But I wasn't because I wasn't controlling the illness, it was controllong me. Whacky, huh!
smurfride
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
[QUOTE=BellaCat]I've noticed that many sufferer focus on the size of their clothes. When I was ana...oops anorexic I focused on the scales. That number going down. down, down every day. I felt powerful. I was in control. But I wasn't because I wasn't controlling the illness, it was controllong me. Whacky, huh![/QUOT

i do really feel for people with eating disorders,correct me if im wrong but it seems common among people who do love their food, not necessarily overweight though. I think there are so many poeple who do it for attention, girls i know who actually tell me when they are goin to be sick whilst talking on a chat room-the same person happens to be a complete attention seeker.i find this sad because the people with real problems are seen to be in the same catagory and almost ignored.

i started to starve myself a few years ago, and it wasn't exactly an ED because i didnt reach like 5 stone or anything like that and it can't compare to real eating disorders. but i did get a major chuff on when the scales reversed to 7 stone odd and i fitted into those size 6 jeans etc etc. basically i can see what people mean by it being obsessive-the more the results show, the more you wnat to keep going. it was only when i started hanging with new friends i just snapped out of it.
*starbuck*
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by smurfride)
i started to starve myself a few years ago, and it wasn't exactly an ED because i didnt reach like 5 stone or anything like that...
You can have an eating disorder at any weight - you don't have to be emaciated and skeletal. Weight is often taken as the be all and end all when it comes to EDs and it really shouldn't be. The thoughts and feelings are just as damaging and just as real whether you're 5 stone, 10 stone or 15 stone.

It is an extremely common fear amongst anorexics that they are not thin enough to be anorexic. I know a few people who are in the initial processes of receiving treatment and they are all petrified that they are not thin enough to warrant that treatment, that they will be the fattest people there and that they 'must' lose more.

So yeah, just wanted to say that just because you didn't reach 5 stone, doesn't mean you didn't have an ED.
eurasianfeline
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Queen_A)
I keep eating when I get depressed...all the time...Its starting to worry me, but thats not an eating disorder, right? Im size 8-10, and its only a disorder if your anorexic/bulimic, right??
i've made thread on eating disorders. check the important threads for the link.

but you do sound like you have an ED. there are many different kinds.
TakemetoAvalon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by fairygirl21)
From what I know, Eating disorders stem from a variety of factors..eg. childhood/self esteem/wanting to be able to control yourself. But then again, I'm not really one to speak, myself, as I'm one of those 'people' who have touched on it in Psychology.
Thankyou for sharing that you have an eating disorder, its v. brave of you to do so. Don't worry about telling your friends, or if you do tell them, make sure that you trust them 100% and that they wont judge you. I really wish I could help.
As an aside, I used to make myself sick by drinking mouthwash after meals and puking everywhere. I managed to hide it from my parents, so I suppose I wasn't particularly doing it for attention. The funny thing is that I enjoyed the control I had over myself. Weird. Oh, and it wasn't because I was fat - I have a BMI of 18.6...

I think these types of things are relatively common, but if you think there is a serious problem, you should definitely get in touch with someone about it.
Apricot Fairy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Assuming you're talking about a friend - seems like you are.

I think if your friend is trying to make herself sick and not succeeding, she may well turn to other methods, such as taking laxatives, or become anorexic, or even go totally the other way and eat loads of food and put on weight.

You need to find a way of dicussing her relationship with food, without making her feel ashamed or threatened. You could mention how you sometimes feel guilty when you eat bad things, but essentially you realise that you don't have to be thin to be happy, and what does she think? If you have a relaxed, non-aggressive conversation with her, she may well open up and confide in you. Don't be afraid to suggest she sees a doctor if you think she'd be open to the idea - even occasionally trying to make yourself sick is reason enough to talk to someone.

If she really does have body issues, why not suggest you do some exercise together and motivate each other to get fit? You could sign up for the Race for Life, perhaps. Then you'd both have a reason to train, and before training you'd need to eat healthy, but high energy food. Just try and help her see that weight shouldn't control your life, and you can find other solutions to her problem.
milady
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lozza)
that's on the way to bulimia. i guess bulimia is actually succeeding being sick, but that's not the way to go.

i think on the whole people know if they have eating problems (correct me if i'm wrong tho please!)
Yeah, i think people do know - bulimics usually know they have a problem, though people with anorexia sometimes don't realise it.
I think the reason people do it... I don't think it's about attention - the opposite is probably true, they'd rather not anyone know.
milady
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But, if she is trying to throw up - you've really got to stop this.
Because it may be like this now, but if for some reason she gets depressed, or is going through a bad stage in her life, it may develop into bulimia.
It's so easy to go from just a guilty attempt at purging to the endless nightmare that is bulimia (or any anorexic disorder) - and never being able to really consider food in the same light again.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%
No I don't (547)
48.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed