Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi people!

After reading a fair amount of profiles on the 'Oxbridge-info' website I was surprised how high the standard was in terms of the potential candidates gcse scores. Obviously I knew that the standards for Oxbridge were high, but most of the successful applicants seemed to have straight A* or a minimum of 8.

I scored 5A* 2A and 3B which, at the time, I was pleased with. I am currently about a third of the way thru my A2 courses (Math, German, ICT) and I am on track for As in all of these, but I read somewhere that because virtually everybody who applies to Oxbridge gets straight A's at A level the Admissions Tutors are more interested in an Applicant's GCSEs than their A levels. Do you think this is true? I am not sure because people mature at different rates - ie I know some people who did loads of revision for their GCSE's, whereas my friends and I didn't do barely any, and of course the quality of teaching varies greatly at different schools - ie private and state.

So anyway back to the point. Do you think my GCSEs would be good enough for Oxbridge if they were accompanied by As at A level? Or do you think I should consider retaking the b grade GCSEs (even though none of them are courses that i am doing now)?

Also, I will be taking a gap year next year after my A2s, and I plan to go live in Germany for a while - I hope to read German at uni. Does anyone have any advice about either gap years or the Modern Languages Course at Oxford? Any advice or opinions would be gratefully received!!!!

Thanks in advance for your help, and good luck to anyone applying to uni this year!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt1386)
    Hi people!

After reading a fair amount of profiles on the 'Oxbridge-info' website I was surprised how high the standard was in terms of the potential candidates gcse scores. Obviously I knew that the standards for Oxbridge were high, but most of the successful applicants seemed to have straight A* or a minimum of 8.

I scored 5A* 2A and 3B which, at the time, I was pleased with. I am currently about a third of the way thru my A2 courses (Math, German, ICT) and I am on track for As in all of these, but I read somewhere that because virtually everybody who applies to Oxbridge gets straight A's at A level the Admissions Tutors are more interested in an Applicant's GCSEs than their A levels. Do you think this is true? I am not sure because people mature at different rates - ie I know some people who did loads of revision for their GCSE's, whereas my friends and I didn't do barely any, and of course the quality of teaching varies greatly at different schools - ie private and state.

So anyway back to the point. Do you think my GCSEs would be good enough for Oxbridge if they were accompanied by As at A level? Or do you think I should consider retaking the b grade GCSEs (even though none of them are courses that i am doing now)?

Also, I will be taking a gap year next year after my A2s, and I plan to go live in Germany for a while - I hope to read German at uni. Does anyone have any advice about either gap years or the Modern Languages Course at Oxford? Any advice or opinions would be gratefully received!!!!

Thanks in advance for your help, and good luck to anyone applying to uni this year!!
    i disagree. did you see teh amount of people who got offers with grades even less than what you got?

i thought the standard of grades was pretty low, they aeither got 7 A*'s or above, or grades worse than what you got. yet even many of these got offers, quite easily.

i got 6 A*'s and 4 A's at GCSE, and I am on course for Grade A's in Mahtematics, Physics, Economics, Computing and General Studies.

Those grades are above the average grades of a typical oxbridge applicant.

ReputationRep:
    umm about a 53

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you've heard its rubbish. There is no way that a candidate's GCSEs are considered a better reflection of their ability than A Levels. I gt 4A* 4A 3B and still got in.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIG_MASKALL)
    i disagree. did you see teh amount of people who got offers with grades even less than what you got?

i thought the standard of grades was pretty low, they aeither got 7 A*'s or above, or grades worse than what you got. yet even many of these got offers, quite easily.

i got 6 A*'s and 4 A's at GCSE, and I am on course for Grade A's in Mahtematics, Physics, Economics, Computing and General Studies.

Those grades are above the average grades of a typical oxbridge applicant.
    Maskall that is not good enough...you need at least 12 A* nowadays :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hi people!

the modlangs course at oxford is LITERATURE LITERATURE LITERATURE. you will know deep down whether you really like German literature or not.

5 A*s is fine, but they could well be concerned by the 3 Bs. i think retakes would be a waste of time, even if u got a*s it wouldn't prove much. if u really want to get in concentrate on reading lots of german literature instead, and english literature too.

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... i think you'll be fine with the grades, it seems to be more about interviews, and their judgement on your suitability and commitment etc. If you choose a place that has seperate exams extra to get in, then obviously those exam marks play some part. Plus if you're some kind of mathmatical monkey or scientist you'd be best off doing STEP papers. I think they tell you they want you to do them or something... but i'm not sure.

Best idea's to go for quantum physics... yea you need P6 maths but apart from that its easy to get in, easy to do... so i'm just 3 pure modules away. Screw that, music tech sound much more appealing (workload = 0 funload = 110)

Oh and remember Camford isn't best at everything... Make sure you look about properly... what are you thinking of doing? If you don't know but are already set on Oxbridge then you better find a course you really want to do, and research similar courses so you can explain why you want to go THERE, unless you're pure fkin genius in which case you'll get a double E offer, after telling them you want to go there because it'll look good on your CV.

btw, General Studies is not an A-Level unless you go to a polytechnic.

ReputationRep:
    Hi people!

hi my name is louise an di was wondering if u was free and how old are u ? plz reply back my email addy is [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    Matt,

The bad news...
    Your grades are not above average for an Oxbridge student. Don't let anybody fool you that Oxbridge students aren't bright.

The good news...
    Your A-level results and your personality matter also.

The only reason the requirements are so high is that lots of people can meet them. So must you. So what happens if you end up with ADD - if the A-levels don't go too well? Continue to apply. You have good GCSE's. Not the best, but good. Make sure your A-levels are also good, an equally with your personality.

Oxbridge students are not lean mean working machines. They are humans who got good grades. All you have to do is prove that you are a hard working, interesting human being.

Good luck.

P.S. If you can con your tutors into predicting straight A's at A-level, then half the battle is won, even if you don't get the grades. If Oxbridge offer you a place it's because they like you, and won't want to lose you. So get a foot in the door with your predicted grades.

P.P.S. A lot of Universities love gap year students - as long as you are going to do something that you would be proud to talk about in conversation.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks dean - your opinion seems really useful. I am going to apply post a level (next year for me) so I will have my a2 results prior to application. So supposing i do get the a's then admissions tutors might think i am less of a risk than a student who is predicted a's but might not acheive them! Also as my gap year will be spent in Germany and i plan to read German at uni it - the gap year - will be very useful!

Are u already at uni dean? If so which one?

Thanks again for the opinions guys...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.