Platonic friendships, right or wrong Watch

This discussion is closed.
Sarah234
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
My 6 upper prom is coming up and being single and not wanting to go alone I have asked one of my male friends if he wants to come as my 'platonic' mate date. The thing is he has a girlfriend.

Both my mum and a friend have a probs with this. My response is that i dont think guys should have to give up female friends just because they have a girlfriend and if my friend coming with me does cause a problem between them (it's not definate he's coming yet, prior commitments as opposed to gf probs) then I feel that it shows a problem in their relationship (lack of trust) rather than anything i have done wrong. When I asked my friend to go with me I said if it was ok with his girlfriend and he made no further reference to her.

What do you all think?
TheVlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Sarah234)
My 6 upper prom is coming up and being single and not wanting to go alone I have asked one of my male friends if he wants to come as my 'platonic' mate date. The thing is he has a girlfriend.

Both my mum and a friend have a probs with this. My response is that i dont think guys should have to give up female friends just because they have a girlfriend and if my friend coming with me does cause a problem between them (it's not definate he's coming yet, prior commitments as opposed to gf probs) then I feel that it shows a problem in their relationship (lack of trust) rather than anything i have done wrong. When I asked my friend to go with me I said if it was ok with his girlfriend and he made no further reference to her.

What do you all think?
School proms aren't that big a deal really, as fortunately we don't live in an American teen movie. I don't think there is anything wrong with it... unless both of you get drunk and have a conversation that goes something like: "you know what would be really really funny? Do you? oh you don't... well what would be really really funny is... wait errrr what err was was I saying? oh yeah what would be really really funny is if we actually had sex... seeing as you're my date and everything... "
That would be a funny morning after...
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
See I think platnic friends of the other sex is healthy. If my boyfriend cant make an event and I need or want a companion then I ask one of our male friends to come with me. i feel comfortable enough with them to be myself and have a laugh but not have to worry about them hitting on me.
The only problem is when emotions and romantic feelings become involved in pltonic friendships.
awesome
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
im mor einto strictly plutonic relationships
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

What do you all think?
As long as you don't have a problem with it, and he doesn't have a problem with it, then sod everyone else. Just make sure you have a good time, that's all that matters.
groovy_moose
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
he only problem is when emotions and romantic feelings become involved in pltonic friendships
yup...

though on the whole i think it's fine to have a plutonic relationship like that, and if his girlfriend is alright about it that's even better, it definitely can get complicated though... :rolleyes:
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Check to see if his girlfriend's alright with it first.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

What do you all think?
I think that platonic friendships are fine, I mean it is ridiculous to think that a guy has to give up his female friends just because he has got a girlfriend. Trust is a very important part of a relationship and if there is so little trust that there is that kind of demand, clearly something is very wrong. You should have no problem going to the prom with this guy, but if his girlfriend does, it shows she doesn't trust him.
djchak
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
"See I think platnic friends of the other sex is healthy."

Yes, I think sex with plutonic friends is healthy too!
......?
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
isn't platonic just sex without anything else?
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by silent p......?)
isn't platonic just sex without anything else?
It's friendship without anything else.
Sarah234
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by pikaboo)
Check to see if his girlfriend's alright with it first.
I don't actually know his gf so...
Charlottie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I can't see the problem. I have some fantastic friends who are boys, and they've never been anything but that. I'd wet myself if someone suggested otherwise, me and say.. Matt, a boy I've been friends with since the first year of high school - it's just laughable. I can't see why anyone would have a problem with it, either.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1628)
78.99%
Leave (433)
21.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise