The Student Room Logo
This thread is closed

The Cambridge Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4720
leala4628
Yes, that was because I was supposed to do a ''freshers diary'' for the website and I pulled out of it and the woman in charge had contacted him and said she was worried I was feeling under pressure.
:rolleyes:
leala4628

He just made me feel really bad as he went on about all the things I was feeling guilty about anyway-being accepted through the English and Education selection system etc etc. The thing is, both courses get a similar amount of applicants and they're not totally different in the skills they require so I don't see that much of a problem. It is me who's paying tuition fees and while I realise it's annoying for those dealing with us trouble makers it's not as though it's a drastic move.

Yeh, just ignore their crap seriously. But be sure you *really* want to make the change, obviously.
In Cambridge its particularly important that people are confident about what they are studying, why they are studying it, and to an extent - what they hope to get from it in the long run (materially and experientially). If you don't think through these issues carefully, then when you come under fire with a particularly oppressive bout of work, it can be hard to retain a balanced perspective and motivate yourself through it.
Craghyrax
:rolleyes:
Yeh, just ignore their crap seriously. But be sure you *really* want to make the change, obviously.
In Cambridge its particularly important that people are confident about what they are studying, why they are studying it, and to an extent - what they hope to get from it in the long run (materially and experientially). If you don't think through these issues carefully, then when you come under fire with a particularly oppressive bout of work, it can be hard to retain a balanced perspective and motivate yourself through it.

I'm glad some people understand :smile: I've lost motivation already with the education side of things...it's probably my own fault as I applied and then regretted not applying for Theology throughout the year :s-smilie:

I am such a noggin.
We have our exam entries to make now but they don't have to be completed until the 6th Nov so I'm leaving it a few days to see what's happening.
Reply 4723
leala4628

I am such a noggin.

It happens :dry:

I also regret taking an Education paper, but I have no idea what to do about it. I felt if I was going to change I ought to do so very early.
Reply 4724
leala4628
I'm glad some people understand :smile: I've lost motivation already with the education side of things...it's probably my own fault as I applied and then regretted not applying for Theology throughout the year :s-smilie:

I am such a noggin.

Do you have friends that do Theology? If not, get one of the Theology students to show you what they've been doing so far this term. I'm not questioning that you'd like to study Theology, but it's worth checking whether you want to do that by doing the course that's on offer here. (A girl in my year made the same subject switch as you, just in the opposite direction.)

So basically, do whatever will make you happy, but make sure it will actually make you happy :smile: !
Craghyrax
It happens :dry:

I also regret taking an Education paper, but I have no idea what to do about it. I felt if I was going to change I ought to do so very early.

It must be something about the Education faculty :s-smilie:

I feel bad as I've advised some people applying for education this year...

Maybe I should have told them to stay away.
Y__
Do you have friends that do Theology? If not, get one of the Theology students to show you what they've been doing so far this term. I'm not questioning that you'd like to study Theology, but it's worth checking whether you want to do that by doing the course that's on offer here. (A girl in my year made the same subject switch as you, just in the opposite direction.)

So basically, do whatever will make you happy, but make sure it will actually make you happy :smile: !

I know a girl from on here and she advised me to read the gospels and get the Greek textbook which I've done. I've also looked at the papers I'd like to take, although I have no idea if that will be my decision or not. I'm fairly certain I want to do it but telling your DOS that, who interviewed you and teaches you is more difficult than one would expect.

I want to be enthusiastic about Theology in front of him but not criticise his subject.
Zhen Lin
It's not in common use nowadays though, it seems. (Perhaps because it's so much more difficult to be a polymath nowadays?) Moreover it seems to have the connotation of being good in various academic fields rather than in general. There's also the phrase "Renaissance man", but that also seems dated.

The guy who does 'study skills seminars' or whatever at Emma referred to himself as a 'polymath'. But I don't think he represents popular usage at all. :tongue: A very curious, yet helpful person.
leala4628
It is me who's paying tuition fees and while I realise it's annoying for those dealing with us trouble makers it's not as though it's a drastic move.

This makes a lot of sense; the university are nominally a service provider. Equally, as a service provider, it is made clear that mechanisms do exist to transfer students between departments, such that you should not feel this runs against usual practice. As Craggy said, you're putting a serious amount of resources, time and energy into pursuing a degree. The university only have to put up with us for three years, while we have to live with these decisions and subject choices indefinitely.
Reply 4729
leala4628

I feel bad as I've advised some people applying for education this year...

Maybe I should have told them to stay away.

Er no. You should be impartial and neutral in what you tell other people.

I find Education lectures boring because they cover things I either already know, or are very obvious. But this might not mean that they are that obvious or straightforward for other people. And sometimes the thing you want to study is the only thing that interests you, or the topic that does interest you most, and the teaching is only once side of it. A small side, in fact. The actual time and experience of reading and writing about it is actually the real subject. That's why I'm not deserting Education in blind panic. I know that although the teaching is crap, I may be able to draw alot of useful and enriching knowledge from the reading I do, and benefit from writing the essays. The department is only a facilitator, and although I sympathise with people finding some of them more helpful or inspiring than others, its similarly erroneous to expect a Department to make up for what personal interest and proactivity should be doing.
Applicants considering Education - or any subject - should be thinking critically about their choices already.
Craghyrax
Applicants considering Education - or any subject - should be thinking critically about their choices already.

Indeed - but is not the onus on them to consider the 'advice' given carefully, rather than on us to give them good advice? :p:
Reply 4731
alex_hk90
Indeed - but is not the onus on them to consider the 'advice' given carefully, rather than on us to give them good advice? :p:

I had included that in my meaning. Or intended meaning.
alex_hk90

Indeed, I'll give them my experience :p:

I wasn't totally serious in what I was saying, I would never tell someone not to apply for something they love especially not because I stupidly should have chosen something else :s-smilie: Most of them are interested in teaching so it should be right up their street.
Craghyrax
I had included that in my meaning. Or intended meaning.

It was implicit, yes.

leala4628
Indeed, I'll give them my experience :p:

I wasn't totally serious in what I was saying, I would never tell someone not to apply for something they love especially not because I stupidly should have chosen something else :s-smilie: Most of them are interested in teaching so it should be right up their street.

You mean you chose to study Education without an interest in teaching? Interesting...
alex_hk90
It was implicit, yes.

You mean you chose to study Education without an interest in teaching? Interesting...

I want to do further study when I graduate (at least that's what I think now) and I thought I might want to do it in education. I had the interest after being home educated and learning about learning styles/environment plus I volunteered in a school for children with physical and mental disabilities so liked that side of education.
leala4628
I want to do further study when I graduate (at least that's what I think now) and I thought I might want to do it in education. I had the interest after being home educated and learning about learning styles/environment plus I volunteered in a school for children with physical and mental disabilities so liked that side of education.

So the idea was to be an Education academic? Ugh, definitely not for me but each to their own. :smile:

On another topic - I have a friend visiting from home on Saturday, so if anyone could suggest touristy things we could do I would be very appreciative. :yep:
the food at homerton is so ****.
Tyrotoxism
the food at homerton is so ****.

Apparently it was curry night tonight, as I don't like curry I didn't go.
So turns out Caius have more historic pranks than just the Austin 7 on the roof: We stole a cannon from Jesus in 1921, and another from Sandhurst at the end of the 50's.

Oh yeah, and you know this photo?

Taken by a Caian :wink:
Reply 4739
I just had the sweatiest supervision ever.

(On reflection, that's not a sentence that should ever be said.)

Latest