The Student Room Logo
This thread is closed

The Cambridge Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4940
I would do Philosophy, Arch and Anth, Geography and possibly Theology.

Oh yes and NatSci obviously. But only if somebody replaced a few useless neural pathways for me first...
Geography would be one for me too. Alongside music obviously.
After mastering maths and the physical sciences, I would probably want to learn as many languages as possible.
Reply 4943
I would love to learn more languages, but I would really hate having to take them as subjects.
Reply 4944
No electricity tomorrow :nope:
azhao
No electricity tomorrow :nope:

Why?

I have a singing lesson soon :woo: quite nervous :sadnod:
Reply 4946
leala4628
Why?

I have a singing lesson soon quite nervous
Building works in the Parker Library, going home for the weekend too :p:
Reply 4947
Craghyrax
Oh yes and NatSci obviously. But only if somebody replaced a few useless neural pathways for me first...

This.

If numbers didn't dance around and out of my head at will, I would have studied physics. Oh well :frown:

edit: I really do think I am unusually thick with them though. I was trying to calculate how many hours I had worked (from 9.30-12.30, 1.30-5.45) in a day and I spent about five minutes scratching my head before writing out every step of it that needed to be added up (like the spare 1/4 of an hour and spare 1/2 an hours seperately) on a piece of paper and doing it that way. Numbers just do not work inside my head :mad:
Reply 4948
Tom
This.

If numbers didn't dance around and out of my head at will, I would have studied physics. Oh well :frown:

Biology (biochemistry, microbiology, physiology, biotechnology, cell biology) for me :cool:
Tom

edit: I really do think I am unusually thick with them though. I was trying to calculate how many hours I had worked (from 9.30-12.30, 1.30-5.45) in a day and I spent about five minutes scratching my head before writing out every step of it that needed to be added up (like the spare 1/4 of an hour and spare 1/2 an hours seperately) on a piece of paper and doing it that way. Numbers just do not work inside my head :mad:

I am too. I actually wonder if I have dyscalculia...
Well, in no particular order it would be Engineering, Music, Politics, Sociology, Theology, Philosophy or Arch&Anth.
Craghyrax
Biology (biochemistry, microbiology, physiology, biotechnology, cell biology) for me :cool:

:cool:

Actually, these things sounds far more interesting when you're not actually studying them... Right now I can't care less about what all these three-lettered acronyms like TBP, TAF, BRE, UCE, CTD, TLR, BCR are doing inside my cell. The problem with cell and molecular biology is that you get so bogged down in the minute details and could spend your whole life researching one thing, and completely lose the big picture.

If I had the abilities and personality of an arts student, I would really have loved to have studied history, and still slightly regret not going down that route. But I just don't think I have the argumentative skills of an arts student... I was talking to 2-3 philosophers yesterday, and couldn't understand half of the things they were saying!
So am I alone in thinking that i couldn't have/wouldn't have wanted to do any subject but my own?
Reply 4952
Excalibur

Actually, these things sound far more interesting when you're not actually studying them... Right now I can't care less about what all these three-lettered acronyms like TBP, TAF, BRE, UCE, CTD, TLR, BCR are doing inside my cell. The problem with cell and molecular biology is that you get so bogged down in the minute details and could spend your whole life researching one thing, and completely lose the big picture.

Yes I can see that. Although I think I often do better at routine internalising of lists of data and terminology than most. Its rather unusual for an autist not to be very good at science and maths, but I retain some of the other features, such as taking interest in the minutae.
Still. If I'd been accepted for NatSci I think it would have been a disaster.
Reply 4953
scarlet ibis
So am I alone in thinking that i couldn't have/wouldn't have wanted to do any subject but my own?

I don't think that's the point. I am in no way considering a parallel reality in which I would not have studied SPS. I am merely thinking about what other things I might have happily also studied, if time and resources were limitless.
scarlet ibis

Oops, you've reminded me. Architecture would be pretty high up my list :p:

I think that I'd have the argument stuff OK for studying an arts subject, but I wouldn't be able to cope with ploughing through books of theory or writing essays.
Out of the Cambridge courses, I'd relatively happily study: Natsci (of most varieties), Compsci, Maths, Classics, English, Philosophy, Law, Japanese, Medicine, Theology, and probably a fair few others. Which is not to say I'd be sufficiently good at all of them...

Also, linguistics for the win.
Reply 4956
I would be happy with Architecture, Medicine or Engineering I reckon.. Probs also Arch&Anth....
There must be some mistake... my timetable says that I don't have any supervisions next week.

SCORE. Time to actually do some work properly :biggrin:
Reply 4958
ukebert

SCORE. Time to actually do some work properly :biggrin:

Lol. That's usually how I feel when Easter arrives...

I also have an odd term. Advanced Social Theory is skipping a week so that I only have Education and Media lectures on Monday and a supervision on Friday.
I have an annoying term work-schedule-wise - alternating weeks with 3 supervisions then 1 supervision. Unfortunately I seem to be busier with non-work-related stuff when I have 3 supervision assignments in. :rolleyes: Ah well, such is Cambridge. :smile:

Latest