The Student Room Logo
This thread is closed

The Cambridge Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Craghyrax
I'll have a look! Would you come to Peterhouse to collect it later or are you in town now?

I'll be in town 3.30ish :smile: Give me a text if you find either of them!
Reply 6401
Reply 6402
Craghyrax

The government should make Biology mandatory up to A level :judge:

Things I think should be mandatory to A-level:

Maths (including statistical fallacies)
Economics
History (more a solid understanding of the general thrust of the last couple of millenia than actual academic study though)
Chemistry
English (again, high-level literacy rather than analysis of literature)
A foreign language.

IMO, there's just not enough time in education for someone to actually be brought up to the level of knowledge neccesary to participate in society and make informed decisions, which is quite a disturbing thought.

Of all of those things, the only one I feel that I have enough of a grounding in to actually vaguely understand stuff relevant to it is maths.
Scipio90
Things I think should be mandatory to A-level:

Maths (including statistical fallacies)
Economics
History (more a solid understanding of the general thrust of the last couple of millenia than actual academic study though)
Chemistry
English (again, high-level literacy rather than analysis of literature)
A foreign language.

IMO, there's just not enough time in education for someone to actually be brought up to the level of knowledge neccesary to participate in society and make informed decisions, which is quite a disturbing thought.

Of all of those things, the only one I feel that I have enough of a grounding in to actually vaguely understand stuff relevant to it is maths.

What would we have to gain from doing Chemistry A level?
Reply 6404
Craghyrax

The government should make Biology mandatory up to A level :judge:

I find it hard to believe many A level biology courses will have that sort of information, when my biochemistry and nutrition courses at university don't seem to hint this.
Make typesetting a mandatory subject, in addition to cartography, then. I can't stand to read poorly formatted essays and inadequate maps.

I'm going cycling before the rain stops. If you see anybody going around decked out in grey and black on a silver Raleigh, then wish em' luck.
Reply 6406
The West Wing
What would we have to gain from doing Chemistry A level?

Assuming you agree that a scientific background is important in that it teaches logic and evidence-based reasoning:
As much as I think physics is more fun and overall awesomer, chemistry is more applicable to what goes on in our everyday lives, ie fossil fuels, pollutants etc.
Reply 6407

That is brilliant.
Catsmeat
Make typesetting a mandatory subject, in addition to cartography, then. I can't stand to read poorly formatted essays and inadequate maps.

Doing an A-level in cartography would actually be quite interesting :smile:
ukebert
Doing an A-level in cartography would actually be quite interesting :smile:

Yeah, it's a shame it is not offered. Although I did do a lot of offset lithography and printing, which made up in a small way.

Actually, I get to play with maps for my dissertation; GIS plots, DEM and satellite imagery are going to be the theme of my research, it seems.
Reply 6411
brimstone
I'll be in town 3.30ish :smile: Give me a text if you find either of them!

Sadly the Ward didn't have it :frown: I would have texted you but I lost your number when my phone broke. Sorry!

I'll catch up on the thread later! Grandparents about to arrive. I spent a small fortune buying a variety of possibly ok things :s-smilie: I got to the till and was like: oh...
Reply 6412
Anyone want tickets to see The Enemy in London next Thursday (pretty sure its sold out)?

I don't think I can be bothered to sell them properly, on ebay or whatever, but i'd sell 'em pretty cheap if anyone wants them
Reply 6413
MC REN
Anyone want tickets to see The Enemy in London next Thursday (pretty sure its sold out)?

I don't think I can be bothered to sell them properly, on ebay or whatever, but i'd sell 'em pretty cheap if anyone wants them

You could try listing them on the IndieSoc mailing list if no-one wants them here :smile:
Does anyone know what could cause repeated bad headaches apart from dehydration? I've had them everyday since Monday - I am sleep deprived and have been working hard, but no more so than the rest of the year/last year :frown:
Zoedotdot
Does anyone know what could cause repeated bad headaches apart from dehydration? I've had them everyday since Monday - I am sleep deprived and have been working hard, but no more so than the rest of the year/last year :frown:

Have you been spending long periods of time staring at a computer? That gives me really bad headaches and sore eyes, which is an absolute nightmare when I'm reading journals online or writing essays. It could very well be the lack of sleep just affecting you worse than last year - if I'm really tired and have been working hard (:rolleyes:), my head hurts. Otherwise, I don't really know what to suggest - stress can cause migraine type things, I suppose.
Zoedotdot

Do you suffer from them regularly? For me they are usually related to lack of sleep, disturbed sleeping patterns, too much strong coffee and input such as bright LCD displays, loud music. This probably explains why I always have headaches. You can sleep them off ... not very constructive advice, I know, but it helps to have a decent, eight hour sleep once in a blue moon.
Craghyrax
Sadly the Ward didn't have it :frown: I would have texted you but I lost your number when my phone broke. Sorry!

I'll catch up on the thread later! Grandparents about to arrive. I spent a small fortune buying a variety of possibly ok things :s-smilie: I got to the till and was like: oh...

It's okay, thanks for looking anyway! I'll Facebook you my number :smile: Have just emailed my supervisor to tell him I can't find the books, so will therefore struggle to write my essay. SIGH. Need to get on with some reading now, am off to Portsmouth this weekend :woo:

Have fun with the grandparents! :smile:
Catsmeat
Do you suffer from them regularly? For me they are usually related to lack of sleep, disturbed sleeping patterns, too much strong coffee and input such as bright LCD displays, loud music. This probably explains why I always have headaches. You can sleep them off ... not very constructive advice, I know, but it helps to have a decent, eight hour sleep once in a blue moon.

I used to get them during my A levels (when I did sleep properly) but have been free of them since then. It's probably a combination of sleep/stress tbh - definitely not strong coffee as I don't drink it, and I try not to work at a computer. All my essays are written by hand and then typed up, because screens give me headaches!

Meh. Lotsa sleep for meee tonight :smile: Last night I got in from the library and decided to relax by watching the end of series 4 of House... I have never cried so much at a tv programme ever.
Bleurgh.

Hope I'm feeling better tomorrow :/