The Student Room Logo
This thread is closed

The Cambridge Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Craghyrax
...or not so dearly beloved, as the case may be :awesome:

ouch..what went wrong and where are you trying to move to?
BigFudamental
Hold on, major revelation in the works:

Ceilidh has something to with ceili = kay-lee.............ooooohhhhhh...........I had no idea it was spelled that way.

Erm basically its a difference of spelling it. I am Irish so I spell it céilí, whereas people in England and Scotland spell it Ceilidh
It could be lupus
Erm basically its a difference of spelling it. I am Irish so I spell it céilí, whereas people in England and Scotland spell it Ceilidh

Yea but I had not idea either of those words were pronounced "kay-lee". I knew what a "kay-lee" was but didn't quite manage to deduce that a ceilidh/ceili might actually be the same thing. I kept reading "say-lid". It's only when I saw your spelling without the "dh" that it clicked.

(In my defence I'm not entirely from here)
BigFudamental
Yea but I had not idea either of those words were pronounced "kay-lee". I knew what a "kay-lee" was but didn't quite manage to deduce that a ceilidh/ceili might actually be the same thing. I kept reading "say-lid". It's only when I saw your spelling without the "dh" that it clicked.

(In my defence I'm not entirely from here)

Sure we'll forgive you (:teehee: silly foreigners :poke: :p:)
munro90
Sure we'll forgive you (:teehee: silly foreigners :poke: :p:)

Lousy gaelic words...
BigFudamental
Lousy gaelic words...

Irish... :mob:

HINT: never say the language I speak is Gaelic, its IRISH!
It could be lupus

My mistake. Gaelic words and Irish words are clearly equally lousy.
It could be lupus

but in english, "irish" (did i spell it right?) is called "gaelic".
Reply 7128
Y__
:smile:

Happy Birthday!!! :party:
Reply 7129
Man I'm tired :sigh: I just got back and sank into The Chair :love: Next best thing in the world for a sore back after a massage! :awesome:

Actually a gym session would help, but no time today :sad: Tomorrow and Sunday :yes:
For the sake of Google: Corfield Court, St John's College, Cambridge is accessed from Sidney Street, just a few steps south of where it meets St John's Street. It's also built like a prison, being split up several times with electronically locked gates, and every single door is keypad/swipe protected.

However, it would appear that I simply won't be able to make the supervision at that time. I'm going to have to rearrange it. :facepalm:
Tyrotoxism
but in english, "irish" (did i spell it right?) is called "gaelic".

:facepalm: No Irish is Gaeilge in English. Therefore "Tá liofa as Gaeilge" means I am fluent in Irish
It could be lupus
:facepalm: No Irish is Gaeilge in English. Therefore "Tá liofa as Gaeilge" means I am fluent in Irish

you're great.
It could be lupus

So what exactly now is the difference between Gaelic, Gaeilge and Irish?
Tyrotoxism
you're great.

:lol: I thought it was a suitable example to show what I meant :p:

BigFundamental
So what exactly now is the difference between Gaelic, Gaeilge and Irish?

Right, Gaeilge is Irish for Irish, lust like Bearla is Irish for English.

Gaelic on the otherhand in Ireland is a type of sport, i.e. gaelic football:

or an even better Irish sport is hurling:

The videos are definitely worth watching :yep:
It could be lupus
:lol: I thought it was a suitable example to show what I meant :p:

i'm coming to trinity formal next saturday or sunday; you'd better be there.
Y__
Does it happen often that people change their college when applying for postgrad? All the prospectuses I've seen say "It is usually the case that you stay at your college for your PhD" and it always seems like it's saying "if you don't, people will be mad at you".

Quite a lot of people change (though not as many as those who stay put). Often it's for financial reasons - once college has a particular scholarship and you can only apply for it if that is your first choice college.

Your current college will almost certainly accept you
other colleges may or may not accept you
It could be lupus

or an even better Irish sport is hurling:

The videos are definitely worth watching :yep:

It took me a long time to recognise that there was actually a ball involved...how do the people at the back see?
"In Ireland people usually do not call the Irish language Gaelic. Most people refer to it simply as "Irish", or Gaeilge in the language itself. In Irish vernacular, the term "Gaelic" as a noun often refers to Gaelic games"

Wikipedia never lies, we call it Gaelic. :wink:
Does your diet change massively during term time compared to when you're at home? Do you find yourself eating more or less healthily?
I can't tell. :s-smilie: For some reason though, I've developed a like for yoghurts since I started here, which I've never really been a big fan of before.

Oh, and if anyone's at the Clare formal next Thursday (26th?), I'll be there. :smile:

EDIT: Nope, I won't actually. Their captain didn't get tickets again, so there's no swap. :frown:

Latest