The Student Room Logo
This thread is closed

The Cambridge Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8020
Tyrotoxism

don't your supervisors get really angry if you hand in work late? mine go beserk if i hand in work a few hours late!

:lol:

Well I certainly couldn't do all of the required essays in first year, let alone get the ones that I managed in on time. Four deadlines in nine days is generally just not feasible. If anybody had gotten beserk at me that year, they would have had to face far worse in response from me.
I generally work on the theory that if I cannot do my work on time for a supervision, then the supervisor is under no obligation to (a) read the work I give in late if its before the supervision but not early enough to feasibly read (b) to supervise me at all if they feel they can't without the work (although usually they can - as I'm always more than well enough prepared in terms of reading, and can discuss even if I've not actually finished an essay for it)
If they can't deal with that, then I'll do without their help, thankyou very much!

At Cambridge its too easy to forget who's education this is. Supervisions for assessed work is a little bit different. But with supervision work connected to an exam, you're under no real obligation to go to any if you don't want. And I know several who have preferred not and have gone on to sit the exam on their own back.
The one supervision in second year who DID go beserk on me for handing in an essay late (and this was when he had set an unusually early deadline in relation to other supervisors and I had explained that my other more pressing coursework due at the same time would make it hard to meet his deadline and he'd seemed to suggest that was ok) got a clipped and matter of fact reply from me, and then I reported him to my DoS and said he was out of line, and she passed on the complaint to the department :proud:
mwiko
Essay due tomorrow on supervision from two weeks ago, plus the reading for the actual supervision tomorrow.
And it's a subject I couldn't care less about. Which is why I haven't started...

:hugs: Yeah, I'm doing an essay on Wollstonecraft, who is incredibly boring and someone who I have absolutely no interest in. Hence the reason I've put off reading for it/writing it until today, when it's due in at 10.15 tomorrow morning. I've written 959 words now, but have run out of things to say. This is going to be a long night (though thankfully not an all-nighter).
Tyrotoxism
i can't. don't your supervisors get really angry if you hand in work late? mine go beserk if i hand in work a few hours late!

Ours would, but as a result we've never handed in work late. OK, once someone handed in an assignment around 15 mins late and it got reported to our DoS. Even worse the supervisor only knew because he asked the porters when the work was actually handed in to his pidge. :rolleyes:
Scipio90
I have some reasonable cheddar, but don't have any biscuits or bread. Sainsbury's have little truckles of wensleydale with cranberries in, that was very nice, I ended up eating one with a whole baguette the other day by accident >_>

My friend ate all my soy butter and has yet to buy me some more :hmmm: If I had hypothetically bought bread, I would be very annoyed. Thankfully, I hadn't. :biggrin:
Reply 8024
Soy butter? I haven't tried it, but can't help feeling he's done you a favour there :tongue:
Reply 8025
brimstone

Veggies get protein too!

Depends how committed they are. What's soy butter like?
Scipio90
Soy butter? I haven't tried it, but can't help feeling he's done you a favour there :tongue:

She :p: And oi :hmmm: I resent that! :cool:

Craghyrax
Depends how committed they are. What's soy butter like?

Soy butter is nice if you're used to it, but I think real-butter eaters wouldn't enojy it. I quite like it :smile: (as did my friend!)
Reply 8027
brimstone

Soy butter is nice if you're used to it, but I think real-butter eaters wouldn't enojy it. I quite like it :smile: (as did my friend!)

I hate soy milk unfortunately, but like alpro yoghurts. I think sweetner and flavouring changes things somewhat though. Rice milk and goats milk are interesting dairy alternatives I like.
I just had a little boogie to Christmas music in the library and suddenly feel so much better :biggrin:
I'm really enjoying filling in these feedback questionnaires for my classes. It's so nice giving positive feedback, and it just feels so good giving (helpful, moderated, constructive, but cathartic) negative feedback.
Reply 8030
Athena
Anyone care to guess at why I can access Lapwing on my laptop with Firefox but not Internet explorer? IE doesn't even load the Lapwing log-on page :s

Your internet explorer is probably configured to access the internet through your college LAN proxy server. You have to go into the settings and change that.

Its annoying because I always had to go into the settings both for firefox and my computer each time I switched to wireless or from wireless.
is anyone going to be in clare next sunday night staying over for interview on the monday?

j/w :smile:
Reply 8032
miranda-ae
is anyone going to be in clare next sunday night staying over for interview on the monday?

j/w :smile:

Wrong thread :no:
alex_hk90
Ours would, but as a result we've never handed in work late. OK, once someone handed in an assignment around 15 mins late and it got reported to our DoS. Even worse the supervisor only knew because he asked the porters when the work was actually handed in to his pidge. :rolleyes:

he sounds like an ass.

last year, what marks did you get for your essays with ************? i only ask because i believe he's marking way too liberally.
mwiko
Essay due tomorrow on supervision from two weeks ago, plus the reading for the actual supervision tomorrow.
And it's a subject I couldn't care less about. Which is why I haven't started...

I hate when they do this!! Your DoS does it to us for the subject that he supervises. I always spend all my time on the essay and am clueless in the inevitable 90 minute - 2 hour supervision that follows :rolleyes:
Craghyrax
Your internet explorer is probably configured to access the internet through your college LAN proxy server. You have to go into the settings and change that.

Its annoying because I always had to go into the settings both for firefox and my computer each time I switched to wireless or from wireless.

If you use firefox there are a multitude plugins available for you to change proxy servers easily. For example: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7330 That one works apparently despite it being "experimental"
Reply 8036
Zomg! Like something from Discworld :cool: :cool: :cool:
Reply 8037
ukdragon37
If you use firefox there are a multitude plugins available for you to change proxy servers easily. For example: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7330 That one works apparently despite it being "experimental"

Athena
:hmmmm:

:s-smilie:
Craghyrax
:s-smilie:

It's an extra toolbar or something that you install where you can write in your different proxy settings (or between on/off) and then it means switching between different ones consists of just clicking on the right one. :smile:
Reply 8039
ukdragon37
It's an extra toolbar or something that you install where you can write in your different proxy settings (or between on/off) and then it means switching between different ones consists of just clicking on the right one. :smile:

You see the last post? Athena is quoted in it because she's the one who asked for the info and needs it. But thankyou anyway.

I'll probably add it in a month or so when I finally have my own laptop.

Latest