The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and Support

I’ve noticed that people often post to ask about eating disorders & ways of supporting. And most of the time people have to repeat what they said on another thread, so I thought I should post about it to clear up a few misconceptions.

People often think about ED as Dieting. Whereas Dieting is often for the improving the health of the body by losing a bit of weight slowly, ED is an illness when a person tries to feel better about her life through food / lack of food. It can be caused by many factors – depression, stress, lack of self-esteem, pressure from friends/media, trauma etc.

(a few most common ED’s listed below)

Anorexia Nervosa –
- refusal to maintain body weight at / above minimal normal weight
- intense fear of gaining weight, despite the patient being underweight
- denial of being seriously underweight / extremely critical of own body shape/weight
- absence of at least 3 menstrual cycle (this is a little vague)

binge-eating/purging type: patient regularly binge eating/purging(ie. self-induced vomiting/misuse laxatives, diuretics or enemas)

restricting type: patient not regularly binge eating/purging

Bulimia Nervosa –
- recurrent binge-eating (eating a much greater amount of food than normal people in a period of time & lack of self-control over eating)
- self-induced vomiting/misuse of laxatives/fasting/over-exercising to compensate for binging
- extremely critical of own body shape/weight
purging type: patient regularly self-induce vomiting/misuse laxatives
non-purging type: patient tries to compensate by fasting/over-exercising, but w/o self-induced vomiting/use of laxatives

Compulsive Overeating –
- engage in “emotional eating” (using food to cope with stress/problems)
- patients tend to be overweight, are ashamed of it, have low self-esteem & have a strong desire for love/affection which they lack
- an on-going cycle of binging to cope with stress  guilt/stress  further binging
- unlike anorexia/bulimia, patients are aware of their abnormal eating habits
- at risk of heart attack/high blood pressure & cholesterol etc

Binge Eating Disorder –
- recurrent uncontrolled binges (eating till uncomfortably full)
- usually above average/overweight/rapid weight gain
- binging to cope with stress (like CED) OR self-punishment for doing "bad" things (like Bulimia)
- unlike bulimia, patients do not engage in compensatory behaviours
- similar health risks as CED

Eating Disorder not Otherwise Specified (EDNOS) –
- meets all criteria for Anorexia Nervosa but:
has regular menses
“normal” weight despite substantial weight loss
- meets all criteria for Bulimia Nervosa but:
binges less than twice a week/for less than 3 months
- normal body weight but regularly engage in inappropriate compensatory behaviour after eating small amounts of food (ie. purging/over-exercising)
- repeatedly chews and spits out & does not swallow large amounts of food

EDNOS is usually much more difficult to diagnose and often unsuspected by other people because patients are not severely under/overweight.
Unlike what some people might think / see on TV, patients with ED usually do not publicly show/admit that they have ED’s, instead they try to HIDE their ED’s.
(a tsr member once thought that bulimics go binge in groups in the bathroom)

Support –
- remember ED’s often arise from emotional problems, and often the best way to help is to show your support rather than focus on food
- avoid saying “you’re too thin” “eat more” “go on a diet”, these phrases often make ED patients feel offended / worse about themselves, which could worsen their conditions
- do not force/restrict eating – this often leads to more binging/compensatory behaviours

Help –
- one-on-one therapy / psychiatrist
- support groups
- medical / hospital treatment (for severe cases)

Type(s) of treatment is up to the patient’s choice and the usefulness of treatment often depends on the individual. However, bear in mind that patients with ED are often afraid to ask for help / do not feel they deserve help. If you suspect your friends/family members are suffering from ED, it’s important to show concern and support, and to keep watch over them.
Hope this would help clarify a few things about ED’s. :smile:

Sites -
http://www.something-fishy.org

http://www.mic.ki.se/Diseases/F03.html#F03.375

http://www.edauk.com

http://www.pale-reflections.com

http://www.purplechocolate.co.uk (forum)

And a Video

There is a song which I think has lyrics that can really related to the state of mind when having ED's. And I thought it might allow people to understand how patients with ED would feel in a different approach. I know it's not as simple as that...but I suppose it would give a basic idea. (*hope*)

Spoiler

AND a VERY good book - Conquering Anorexia - Clare Lindsay. Although the author was Anorexic, it is also a very inspirational book for Bulemia & EDNOS. Reading the first page already struck me almost to tears because of the resemblance of our thoughts and feelings, and I would highly recommend it to those suffering from ED's as well as those who want to understand ED's.

The BEST BOOK I've read so far though is Wasted - Marya Hornbacher. It's another autobiography, and she was both bulemic and anorexic and I can identify with it so much. It explores many issues about eating disorders and I can identify so much with it. It is really worth reading. And for those without ED or want to understand it - it's a great read too.

Bulimia/Anorexia: The Binge Purge Cycle and Self-Starvation - Marlene Boskind-White, William C. White. This is the only self-help book which I've enjoyed reading about eating disorders, and it focuses more on Bulimarexia / Bulimia Nervosa more than Anorexia Nervosa. Highly recommend it.

(Depression longer than I can remember. Full blown ED from April 2003: EDNOS-BED-bulimia-anorexia. Saw a psych in Feb 2005 who controlled me with medication. Started seeing a therapist since Aug 2005 (intermittently during holidays when I go home) who has helped me immensely in confronting the underlying issues which triggered my ED over the years. Have tried and had become tolerant to many antidepressants. Currently on Prozac (Fluoxetine) which is working very well for me. Last period of bulimia in June 2010 during Finals. Currently "Recovered" for 2 months and going strong.)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it is also important to realise that someone does not have to be emaciated for it to be a problem. Many people wrongly presume that unless you're really scarily skeletal then it's not that bad, and not that dangerous but that couldn't be further from the truth. Especially in bulimics...from the very first time you purge, you disrupt the elecrolyte balance in your body and are at a very increased risk of cardiac arrest. Indeed the majority of bulimics maintain a normal weight, and so go undetected by their friends and family.

I'm sure most people remember the Terri Schiavo case in America recently - her vegetative state was caused by her bulimia; persistant purging led to her potassium levels dropping too low which caused her heart to stop depriving her brain of oxygen. She was of a normal weight too. That could happen to anyone who purges.

I have/had bulimia - it's one of those things that no-one can truely recover from (there's always a chance of a relapse, there's always a chance a comment or an image can set you off, even after years of being 'free' from it) - and it was laxative-based. I kept drinking this bottle of liquid laxative, and it did not work. It only messes up your stomach.

I've only told people online (you don't know me in real life, so it doesn't bother me) and a teacher in secondary school, and she put me in touch with a counsellor.

An eating disorder, for me and many others, is about control. As a teenager there are a lot of things happening that you can't control (school, bullying, changes in the body that you may not be pleased about) and when I personally realised at the age of nine/ten that I *could* binge, I binged.

And then regretted it. Cue dieting, not eating for ages, leaving food, laxatives.

You end up into this cycle. You're depressed, so you binge. You binge, you gain weight. You gain weight, get depressed/try so hard to lose it, try to lose it/get depressed. And you don't know whether you'll be able to get out of it because the future just looks the same as the present.

Either that or you think what you're doing is fine. I don't know which is worse. Sometimes I've found myself KNOWING what I do is wrong, but I can't stop it (ironically, the one thing you have control over ends up controlling you), and other times I've not realised until it's too late that it's wrong.

Anyway, I'm babbling.

Thank you for all of the information :biggrin:. It's good for people to know about it all.
Reply 3
- refusal to maintain body weight at / above minimal normal weight yes
- intense fear of gaining weight,yes despite the patient being underweight
- denial of being seriously underweight / extremely critical of own body shape/weight no because I'm not underweight-
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: but I don't suffer from nervousa anorexia :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Reply 4
habosh
- refusal to maintain body weight at / above minimal normal weight yes
- intense fear of gaining weight,yes despite the patient being underweight
- denial of being seriously underweight / extremely critical of own body shape/weight no because I'm not underweight-
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: but I don't suffer from nervousa anorexia :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Are you not contradicting yourself there? If you refuse to maintain a normal body weight then you are underweight.
Reply 5
*starbuck*
Are you not contradicting yourself there? If you refuse to maintain a normal body weight then you are underweight.

No,because I wanna be thinner like thin thin but I'm nbot underweight
thx for adding in those points i've missed out. i knew there would me stuff i've forgotten to put in. :smile:

(took me an hour to type this...and i was quite sleepy by then :p: )
Oh...something i left out. :p:

Recovering from ED is a long and difficult process. It takes a lot of bravery for the person to face the problem in the first place. Acknowleding the ED is often the first and most important step to recovery, because the person is WILLING to admit she has such a problem and make an effort to be treated for it. Show your support to the patients and let them know that their efforts are appreciated and worthwhile. There can be times when they want to give up, and at those times, there is nothing more important that to know that there are people who truly care for and love them and that they are not walking the path of recovery alone.
Can't guys become anorexic?
LennonMcCartney
Can't guys become anorexic?

yes guys can be. anyone can be.
i just typed "she" for the convinience instead of he/she or him/her repititions.
Reply 10
eurasianfeline
Compulsive Overeating
- engage in “emotional eating” (using food to cope with stress/problems)
- patients tend to be overweight, are ashamed of it, have low self-esteem & have a strong desire for love/affection which they lack
- an on-going cycle of binging to cope with stress  guilt/stress  further binging
- unlike anorexia/bulimia, patients are aware of their abnormal eating habits
- at risk of heart attack/high blood pressure & cholesterol etc

ok. see now im worried.
the above applies to me. but recently since the "random suicidal urges" thread everytime i eat i feel sick even if its only a bite of a sandwich. but i cant stop myself from eating the rest.. :confused: but othertimes i cant eat anything all day...i literally have to force my tea down, n then i puke it up so no1 knows i cant eat...
is that classed as ed :confused: ohmigod...im so demented...
RiOt GiRl
ok. see now im worried.
the above applies to me. but recently since the "random suicidal urges" thread everytime i eat i feel sick even if its only a bite of a sandwich. but i cant stop myself from eating the rest.. :confused: but othertimes i cant eat anything all day...i literally have to force my tea down, n then i puke it up so no1 knows i cant eat...
is that classed as ed :confused: ohmigod...im so demented...

from what you've written, you've got to be really careful. chances are you might be bulemic. how long has this been going on for? you sound like you somtimes lose self-control and eat even when you're not hungry, and feeling sick after a bite can be either you're not feeling well/stressed or guilt. do you lose control of eating when you're alone? and the fact that you throw up so people won't know about your eating problems is also a sign of bulemia. has anything traumatic/stressful happened lately?

take good care of yourself alright? you're not demented.
Lozza
i'd rep you but i think i already gave u some for something else you said the other day that was also fab...i'll rep u as soon as i can, this thread is great :smile:

thank you. don't worry about it...it's the thought that counts.

i'm glad this thread is useful. having been through it myself, there's nothing better than to be able to help out other people going through the same thing. it helps me with my recovery as well.
eurasianfeline

Recovering from ED is a long and difficult process.QUOTE]

tell me about it :frown:
Good News for Binge-Eater?!

Topiramate, an epilepsy drug, was used in a medical trial and found to reduce the number of binges per week AND facilitated weight loss!!

Long-term studies of the effects of the drug in non-epileptics are still needed, but this can be a potentially good news!! :biggrin: Horrah!!

University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Ohio
Not all EDs are so close to the textbook definitions...They're complicated and vary. Supposedly there are "subtypes" (bulimiarexia, purging anorexia etc).
No Future
Not all EDs are so close to the textbook definitions...They're complicated and vary. Supposedly there are "subtypes" (bulimiarexia, purging anorexia etc).

I thought I listed them too?! :confused:

and yes...many ED's are a mixed-up of different types...hence there's also the EDNOS.
eurasianfeline
I thought I listed them too?! :confused:

and yes...many ED's are a mixed-up of different types...hence there's also the EDNOS.
I can't read. :smile:
No Future
I can't read. :smile:

nah. i put a magical spell around the post.
words run away sometimes. :rolleyes:

but it's all good. i hexed the words into staying on the post. :smile:
folks i think i may have an eating problem.it sounds stupid but i've had this prob since age 13. now i only get it at times of stress.

its this overwhelming fear of eating in front of people. its really hard-if im with frinds, i cant eat, cant have luch with frinds, sometimes i dont eat all day, and just eat a pie late late at night if i have been with people all day. i dont have a weight prob at all, but i did get anaemia cos of my lack of eating- most days i only eat dinner, if at all. im not anorexic as i dont starve myself to be thin but i just cant eat in front of poeple. think of all the meals you have each day, and how often people are around. i just cant do it. on dates and stuff i cant go out for dinner. if i do, i just order salad and push it around on the plate to avoid eating. i know it is irrational, but i just get so self conscios to eat that i just dont eat. i dont binge when i do eat, but as a veggie i know i prob dont get the right vits from my irrational eating.

anyone else have this? is it a disorder? what do i do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending