Turn on thread page Beta

Liecester And Sheffield University watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have recently got offers from these unis to study law, i was wondering if anybody could give me a personal insight into these establshments. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Ok well Sheffield the uni itself is great I think the student union is one of the biggest if not the biggest in the country. The law department is a bit of a walk uphill past the union and is always freezing cold but the good news is that because the department is too small for the amount of students the lectures this year are in the octagon which is a big building next to the union and is great because it is less than 5 mins walk from my halls hooray!
    I'm not quite sure how much the undergrad course varies from mine but I go to 9 hours lectures per week those are with the first yr undergrads and I have 6 hours of seminars per week. The undergrads dont have seminars every week. I think they have them fortnightly.
    There is quite a lot of reading to do for seminars and several essays and projects in throughout the term.
    I think its quite a nice place to study, I havent been out that much but the social scene is pretty good and its quite a cheap place to live. Most first years go into catered accommodation I believe but there are a lot of first years in my halls which are selfcatered so its pretty much up to you which you choose. There are sample menus for the catered halls somewhere on the sheffield website which might be helpful to look at. The security of the halls are also quite good, swipe cards to get into the buildings and then a key to your flat door and your room. Car parking is limited I would advise applying for a permit asap if you accept it as your first choice.
    I dont think the law library is the best its quite small but to counteract that the uni subscribes to quite a lot of law journals online which is good and the law databases so you can look at cases online. They also publish the lecture notes online which is really useful. Have you been on an open day yet? I would recommend having a really good look round to see whether you like Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks VIVIKI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Thanks VIVIKI.

Hi mate Leciester is very good for law and is a top law schoool aswell as establisment, its higher in the university charts than Sheffield too

sunnyx

ReputationRep:
    By one place in the times
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html

http://education.guardian.co.uk/high....html?start=10

and 2 places in the Guardian.

they really are pretty much the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    By one place in the times
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html

http://education.guardian.co.uk/high....html?start=10

and 2 places in the Guardian.

they really are pretty much the same.

A couple of places counts for virtually NOTHING

ReputationRep:
    Oh Sheffield, is wonderfull, oh Sheffield is wonder-FULLLLLLLLLLL!

I'm a resident, going to Sunderland myslef but it's a great city to live in. Excellent nightlife with clubs such as Leadmill, Bed, Gatecrasher. If your a fan of Rock/Indie theres Corporation/Boardwalk/Casbah. Cheap food. Friendly people. Meadowhall nearby for mass shopping trips.

And its also home to the best football team in the world, SHEFFIELD UNITED!

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.