Turn on thread page Beta

C1 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOJO)
    I know what you mean I keep making stupid mistakes! arghhhh so jarring.

Here is a question I did today which is so blindly obvious , but I made a silly mistake:

Given that y = 2x^3/2 - 1,

a, find d2y/x

easy, just differentiate twice to get 3/2x^-1/2

the second part of that question:

show that

4x^2 d2y/dx - 3y = k

I originally subsituted for d2y/dx but I never subsituted for y, which was what your supposed to do, grrr
    I know what you mean, with C1, I'm just prone to errors. I don't know why I make silly mistakes, but unfortunately I do!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=mala2k]c1 2005 question(9)

hey ya omg jus checked the net an i love u ur a star thank you so much that help really is great i appreciate it so much

ReputationRep:
    matt foster i also appreciate ur help every1 here is so nice an helpful im glad i found this site! im crappin c2 coz are teacher didnt get the topic finished and also we didnt get textbooks coz they havent oredered them yet how dead am i

ReputationRep:
    My school didnt order C1 or C2 either. I brought it my self. The school gave us P1 ad P2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOJO)
    Do you have an exam strategy involving how you manage your time? I always tend to run out of time

(well in January I did)
    I waited until the last minute on my D1 last january... similarly with my D2 (which is next week) this isnt recomended, but they were both pretty much self taught. Papers are the main advice I can give, do papers!

I did papers (although for some modules, not really all that many... I would say 5 minumum you shuold be looking at.. but aim for 7) once you've done enough, you generally pick up what examiners want, which means you knwo what to revise and find yourself not trying to learn and understand every definition out there for no reason!

Also, I wrote up notes for the day of the exam (I find this really useful) but not full notes.. mainly the basics I didnt know, anything I had to bung in short term memory for the exam. It would be about 2 sides of A4 for both C1, C2, D1 and FP1, not everything, but things that I would want to look over the day before or the morning before. This way the overall revision can be less intimidating in the weeks before.

My only other advice is to keep an open mind (this applies more for the harder papers though, like C3 and C4 upwards where you would have to apply C1 and C2 knowledge) but mostly its about practice, especially with intergation.

Take about the same time in minutes roughly on each question as the marks... (I usually do this because if you look through the paper first to get an idea of time, sometimes the hardeer questions can look very intimidating (even if they're not) and keep you tense through the beginning.

And most importantly, Good Luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    we only got p1 an thats useless for core 2!

ReputationRep:
    I am SO worried about the exam on monday (doing edexcel C1)...but if it's anything like the Jan 2005 paper, then i guess it's ok...im just worried, cause although we've been given practise papers, there is only one past paper for C1, so i just hope that the practise ones (esp. solomon) are very very similar!!!

ReputationRep:
    I am desperately in need of the Jan 2005 C1 mark scheme. Can anybody help me please?

ReputationRep:
    no but some of the questions are answered on this page i cldnt do some of them so i asked an the ppl here are so nice they show u how!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shazzacon)
    no but some of the questions are answered on this page i cldnt do some of them so i asked an the ppl here are so nice they show u how!
    Yeah, if you have any more questions please ask as it will keep me on the ball.

ReputationRep:
    k well u see q1, part b wld u tell me how so i can check my method

ReputationRep:
    k well u see q1, part b wld u tell me how so i can check my method
    Sorry, from what paper?

Are you talking about the Solomon papers?

Just give me the paper reference so I can see the question.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I just looked through the previous page and it definately helped.

ReputationRep:
    sorry im so stupid its 6663/01 its the jan 2005 paper

ReputationRep:
    I did solomon ones, gives you alot of practice for it Also, there are plenty of papers you can get from the sticky's at the top of the maths threads... there are plenty of C1s going around in the forum if you want extra practice over the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    sorry im so stupid its 6663/01 its the jan 2005 paper
    1.)
    b.)

16^(-3/2) = 1/(√16)³ = 1/(4³) = 1/64

ReputationRep:
    yeah thats the answer i got ur a star

ReputationRep:
    an question 3 i got 44k^2=44 an that k +3 but thats wrong i think?? help me agin please

ReputationRep:
    an question 3 i got 44k^2=44 an that k +3 but thats wrong i think?? help me agin please
    Equal roots, therefore b²-4ac=0

kx²+12x+k=0

Using ax²+bx+c,
    a=k
    b=12
    c=k

Therefore √(12²-4k²)=0
    144=4k²
    √144=4k
    k=±6

Therefore k=6 as k is a positive constant.

ReputationRep:
    the last 3 lines confuse me iff root 144=4k doesnt 4k = 12

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 21, 2005

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.