The Student Room Logo

Oxford PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

candide
Hey, I'm thinking of applying to do PPE at Oxford next year.

Noooooooooooo! Not more competition... :p:

candide
Do you think Oxford will discriminate against me for never having studied even one of PPE subjects formally? I reckon I'm reasonably well-versed in the three from reading widely and being a news junkie but, will my more or less unrelated Highers (harder than AS level but easier than A Level) and Advanced Highers (essentially Tartan A Levels) count against me???

The Oxford prospectus says that they don't mind if you've never studied the subjects before, as many people don't get the opportunity to study these subjects at A level etcetera. Instead, they want to see that you are enthusiastic about the subjects; something that your further reading should show. Just be sure to mention your reading in your personal statement! :smile:
Reply 5861
candide
big text

Don't worry about it. You don't have to do any of the subjects of PPE at A level/Highers level. The only one that *really* matters is maths and you've got that. You could probably get some mention of not being able to study PPE subjects slipped into your reference or something if you're worried about it, but you shouldn't be at all disadvantaged.
Hi, could someone be so kind to help me with PPE university research? I'm looking to know all the available universities in the UK which offer the course this year and what the grade entrance requirements are (I know this makes me sound lazy but I've tried the UCAS site and it only shows up two universities offering it so thought this would be my best bet.:biggrin: )

I already know Oxford, Warwick, Durham and Queens all offer the course but is there any universities which offer the course at a lower entrance requirement. I'm Doing History, Politics, Business Studies and English Lit. for A-level and got AABB in my AS levels. Am I at a disadvantage for not doing maths for A level and are my subjects pleasing to admissions tutors?

Thanks in advance!:smile:
penguins_sparkle
Hi, could someone be so kind to help me with PPE university research? I'm looking to know all the available universities in the UK which offer the course this year and what the grade entrance requirements are (I know this makes me sound lazy but I've tried the UCAS site and it only shows up two universities offering it so thought this would be my best bet.:biggrin: )

I already know Oxford, Warwick, Durham and Queens all offer the course but is there any universities which offer the course at a lower entrance requirement. I'm Doing History, Politics, Business Studies and English Lit. for A-level and got AABB in my AS levels. Am I at a disadvantage for not doing maths for A level and are my subjects pleasing to admissions tutors?

Thanks in advance!:smile:

Course code search L0V0 and LV25 and you should get pretty much all of them. You missed out York (really good for PPE, long-standing and very well integrated course--but got very competitive last year and likely to stay so for the foreseeable future) and Manchester. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Your History, Politics and English Lit A Levels stand you in good stead--PPE unis tend to like traditional, analytical subjects. Business Studies can be looked down on, but as a fourth A Level it will not count against you.

But I do want to warn you that not having Maths A Level will disadvantage you. Every admissions person I have spoken to has said it is desirable. If you did well (i.e. A or preferably A* at GCSE) you will have a fair chance still for most of them, but you will need to really stand out in other ways.

Unfortunately Durham states on their website, on the economics section:

"You will need at least a grade B in AS Level Mathematics if you are not doing A-Level Maths. This applies to all degree routes, including PPE."

But don't give up hope--I know people who have gotten into both York and Manchester without Maths even to AS. Both of which are great courses, from what I've heard. I don't know anything about the Queens course unfortunately.

Good luck.
candide
x

Short answer to all your Questions: No. This will not particularly disadvantage you. A large minority of those who apply for PPE have not studied any of those subjects formally before. This info is available on the Oxford website, I believe under PPE FAQs.
Philosopher-of-sorts
Course code search L0V0 and LV25 and you should get pretty much all of them. You missed out York (really good for PPE, long-standing and very well integrated course--but got very competitive last year and likely to stay so for the foreseeable future) and Manchester. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Your History, Politics and English Lit A Levels stand you in good stead--PPE unis tend to like traditional, analytical subjects. Business Studies can be looked down on, but as a fourth A Level it will not count against you.

But I do want to warn you that not having Maths A Level will disadvantage you. Every admissions person I have spoken to has said it is desirable. If you did well (i.e. A or preferably A* at GCSE) you will have a fair chance still for most of them, but you will need to really stand out in other ways.

Unfortunately Durham states on their website, on the economics section:

"You will need at least a grade B in AS Level Mathematics if you are not doing A-Level Maths. This applies to all degree routes, including PPE."

But don't give up hope--I know people who have gotten into both York and Manchester without Maths even to AS. Both of which are great courses, from what I've heard. I don't know anything about the Queens course unfortunately.

Good luck.

Thank you, I used the courrse codes and found more universities offering PPE which was a relief to say the least.

Business Studies is unfortunately looked down on by univeristy tutors due to the respect system and blacklisted subjects etc! but since It's a fourth subject and combined with the higher tier respected subjects such as History and English Lit. I should be ok!

I got an A* in my GCSE Maths with an A in Add Maths so that shouldn't be too much of a problem but still a slight disadvantage nonetheless.

Another question but what other courses would be similar to PPE in course content and prestige of the qualification to employers...I know and am interested in Politics with economics but is this as highly regarded as PPE?

Thanks..
Hello,

I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice because I can't make up my mind as to where to apply for PPE/Politics and Economics.
I'm definitely applying Oxford, Durham and Warwick but am stuck between LSE, Edinburgh, York and Bristol for the last two choices.

Mariam_92
Hello,

I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice because I can't make up my mind as to where to apply for PPE/Politics and Economics.
I'm definitely applying Oxford, Durham and Warwick but am stuck between LSE, Edinburgh, York and Bristol for the last two choices.

Apply for LSE and York and you'll have copied me.

It's an awesome set of choices if I do say so myself :biggrin:

In terms of reputation and rigour, LSE's course is the highest amongst those three.
In terms of a great, very integrated PPE course, which has somewhat less rep but is supposedly incredible (from those I've talked to who are there), York is a good choice.
Mariam_92
Hello,

I looked at your other posts and so far you have said you want to study

*French
* Italian
*Architecture
*Physics
*Maths
*PPE

in various threads!
!!!!
jumblebumble
I looked at your other posts and so far you have said you want to study

*French
* Italian
*Architecture
*Physics
*Maths
*PPE

in various threads!
!!!!

Haha, yes, it's true :p: (though I don't think I said Maths) . It's just that I have a wide variety of interests which made choosing a degree very difficult for me. I love languages (I took 4 languages at GCSE and take French A level) so it was a possible option. Same with Architecture.
Physics and PPE were the two I was truly stuck between. But I like the range of topics in PPE so I've be set on it for quite a while now :smile:
@elieshout i'm doing add maths gcse, predicted a and gcse maths predicted a*. dare i risk as and getting a low grade? or shall i stick with stuff i'm good at?
thanks for the help so far
@penguins_sparkle i'd be really interested to know how you got on- deciding whether to take as maths currently!!
RAAAACHIE
@penguins_sparkle i'd be really interested to know how you got on- deciding whether to take as maths currently!!

In my honest opinion, do it. AS maths is not massively more difficult than GCSE (I'm doing it in January, and am through most of 1 of the 3 modules already), and you're going to be coming through the system while there is likely to still be a bottleneck of applicants.

You might be able to find a place without it, but in my opinion, if you have the capacity and the option to do it, then doing it is definitely worthwhile. That boost to your application is definitely worth it.
(edited 13 years ago)
@philosopher-of-sorts thanks so much for the advice! i'll have done a free standing add maths thing also which is a very similar syllabus so ought to help i think. i'm just worried, with it not being my strongest subject, that if i fall behind it will affect my chances while i might have got a higher grade in something else.

Definitely considering it now though, thankyou !
Hey! At the moment, I am reading the Independent and the Economist but I really want to subscribe to another magazine as well. So far the Spectator, the Private Eye and the New Statesmen have caught my eye but I was wondering if anyone could give me any recommendations as for magazine that you prefer and why.

Thank you! :biggrin:
Worrier12345
Hey! At the moment, I am reading the Independent and the Economist but I really want to subscribe to another magazine as well. So far the Spectator, the Private Eye and the New Statesmen have caught my eye but I was wondering if anyone could give me any recommendations as for magazine that you prefer and why.

Thank you! :biggrin:

The Economist
is a newspaper rather than a magazine (don't ask me why).

The New Statesman is a good read, it has some good political analysis (though I find some of the columnists to be a bit too partisan and lacking objectivity) but it can all be accessed free online to be honest, no real reason to subscribe.

I've never been particularly impressed by The Spectator, but that's obviously just my view of it, you'd have to read a couple issues to see what you think...

If you wanted some real economic analysis and were willing to pay I'd subscribe to the FT, or at least the online version. Excellent stuff, and, well, they've got Martin Wolf, i.e. intellectual firepower.
(edited 13 years ago)
I uploaded all of the TSA stuff I collected last year for it and have gotten PMs requesting it, so I figured it'd be more useful if it was more public. I've got past papers and papers that are very similar in style. It could make a useful addition to the guide if it's still being maintained.

http://rapidshare.com/files/420395495/TSA.zip
mirror: http://hotfile.com/dl/75220108/823bb77/TSA.zip.html
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5877
Kneechuh
I uploaded all of the TSA stuff I collected last year for it and have gotten PMs requesting it, so I figured it'd be more useful if it was more public. I've got past papers and papers that are very similar in style. It could make a useful addition to the guide if it's still being maintained.

http://rapidshare.com/files/420395495/TSA.zip
mirror: http://hotfile.com/dl/75220108/823bb77/TSA.zip.html

Thank you so much. It's great to have some papers to practice. Is the "Mark Schemes"-Folder supposed to be empty?
LeonM
Thank you so much. It's great to have some papers to practice. Is the "Mark Schemes"-Folder supposed to be empty?

It wasn't meant to be, no, but it is.
You can find the mark schemes on freeexampapers.com
Reply 5879
OK, Thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest