The Student Room Logo

Oxford PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys.

Im looking to apply this October (:eek: ) to PPE, but am not too sure about what my other uni options would be.

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE the course, but I love other courses in the Politics area, particularly Politics and International Relations courses.

Obviously this is a pretty general question, and one you may not be able to answer, but will it be pretty much impossible to get in if I apply to PPE plus other mainly politics based courses?

IE would my personal statement still, if good enough, be enough to get an interview if it was pretty much just politics based, with a brief mention of philosophy and economics.

Sorry if its a silly question! I am just having trouble deciding!! :biggrin:
Reply 1781
pinkpenguin
Hi guys.

Im looking to apply this October (:eek: ) to PPE, but am not too sure about what my other uni options would be.

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE the course, but I love other courses in the Politics area, particularly Politics and International Relations courses.

Obviously this is a pretty general question, and one you may not be able to answer, but will it be pretty much impossible to get in if I apply to PPE plus other mainly politics based courses?

IE would my personal statement still, if good enough, be enough to get an interview if it was pretty much just politics based, with a brief mention of philosophy and economics.

Nah that is fine, most people do that to some extent - not that many places offer PPE. You need to write your personal statement carefully, but for example I hardly mentioned Philosophy and got an offer; it's not really too big a deal
Reply 1782
pinkpenguin
Hi guys.

Dear dear Penguin, we're in the same boat.
I've started writing my PS - going to be interesting.
You have msn?
tucker672
To all those who helped me with my little dillemma, I have finally finished all my exams today, economics it was :mad: , but it went alright:rolleyes:

Anyway I have sent my letter of acceptance to the FE college, bu they want to see me on the 1st of July :cool: . But hopefully I will do 5 subjects; Philosophy, Politics, Economics, History and Maths.

Which if any should I drop after the first year :confused:

Grant :biggrin:

ps: thanks for all your help guys you should be career advisors. :wink:

Whichever one you enjoy the least.
pinkpenguin
Hi guys.

It's not a problem. You might want to give them more than a brief mention. I gave the other two a paragraph each.
Mike_P
Ah!
Seems like you had 2 good years! I'm sure your third will be as well.
Any plans of what to do upon graduation?

In an ideal world, I want to do the BPhil in Philosophy at Oxford. If I don't get into that, I'm not sure what my plans are.
Reply 1786
RawJoh1
In an ideal world, I want to do the BPhil in Philosophy at Oxford. If I don't get into that, I'm not sure what my plans are.

Oh, :smile:. 2 Year master in Philosophy? Did you enjoy Philosophy the most, of the PPE subjects? I guess you've covered 'The Republic'. I read it recently - Didn't feel for reading one of those introductory books, I wanted to get straight away to what seemed like interesting philosophy.
How did you find the side of economics, studying PPE?

Did you read "introductory" literature when applying?
Mike_P
Oh, :smile:. 2 Year master in Philosophy? Did you enjoy Philosophy the most, of the PPE subjects? I guess you've covered 'The Republic'. I read it recently - Didn't feel for reading one of those introductory books, I wanted to get straight away to what seemed like interesting philosophy.
How did you find the side of economics, studying PPE?

Did you read "introductory" literature when applying?

I enjoy philosophy and political theory the most. Of my 8 finals modules, only 1 will be empirical politics. The rest will be either political theory or philosophy. I didn't choose the module on The Republic, but I did cover it on my 'History of Political Thought: Plato - Rousseau' module. I'd read it as part of my philosophy A-level though.

I dropped economics after my first year, because:
a) it was the least fun, in my opinion
b) I didn't have A-level maths, so it was the hardest

So, I only know about the first year economics course. Bear in mind that what I say will only be true for those who don't have A-level maths. But, I hated microeconomics, primarily because it's full of sodding maths. I quite enjoyed macroeconomics though.

As for stuff I read prior to applying - I didn't read any introductory stuff. I read two (relatively) contemporary works of political philosophy. Robert Nozick's Anarchy, State, and Utopia and the first few chapters of Rawls' Theory of Justice. I doubt my having read them helped my application in any way though. Introductory books would probably be better.
Reply 1788
If you do not study all 3 components of PPE (in my case this is politics), how do you illustrate your interest in this subject without being too vague cliched e.e "I love to read the newspaper on a daily basis" ?
Read books?
Reply 1790
Yes I am already doing extensive extra reading, but surely everyone who is applying to do the same degree as me will be doing extra reading?
clarkk
Yes I am already doing extensive extra reading, but surely everyone who is applying to do the same degree as me will be doing extra reading?

work experience in politics?
or alternatively i went and researched it and found this is what you need:

• Understand the nature and significance of politics as a human activity.
• Apply concepts, theories and methods to analysing political ideas, institutions and practices.
• Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of different political systems, the nature and distribution of power in them; the social, economic, historical and cultural contexts within which they operate, and the relationships between them.
• Evaluate different interpretations of political issues and events.
• Understand the nature and significance of politics as a global activity.
• Demonstrate an understanding of the origins and evolution of international politics.
• Gather, organise and deploy evidence, data and information from secondary and primary sources.
• Identify, investigate, analyse, formulate and advocate solutions to problems.
• Construct reasoned argument, synthesise information and exercise critical judgement.
• Reflect on their own learning and seek and make use of constructive feedback.
• Manage their own learning self-critically.
• Communicate effectively and fluently in speech and writing.
• Use communication and information technology to retrieve and present information, including statistical or numerical information.
• Work independently, demonstrating initiative, self-organisation and time-management.
• Collaborate with others to achieve common goals.
Reply 1793
Oh god, just back from the open day, and now I'm in love... (with Oxford)

Well, goodbye social life, hello further reading...

-Guy
Reply 1794
GuyM

-Guy

Lol :biggrin:. Which colleges were you at?

Anyone going to the LSE open day next week?
GuyM

-Guy

which college did you visit?
Mike_P
Lol :biggrin:. Which colleges were you at?

Anyone going to the LSE open day next week?

What subject are you thinking of doing at LSE?

Reply 1797
tucker672
What subject are you thinking of doing at LSE?

Government.

What about you, thinking of applying to LSE?
Reply 1798
Brasenose, Lincoln, New (very briefly) and Trinity..

I really liked Brasenose/Lincoln

-Guy
Reply 1799
GuyM
Brasenose, Lincoln, New (very briefly) and Trinity..

I really liked Brasenose/Lincoln

-Guy

Nice :smile:.
Did you meet any of the tutors?

Quick Reply

Latest

Latest