Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    well i went up to imperial college in london today for an interview for a 4 year theoretical physics course (MSci)... it wasnt really an interview, more of a Q&A session and a tour, but still it was interesting. so here's my opinion on imperial after seeing it first-hand (points in no particular order)

pro:
    impressive research record/friendly professors
    excellent facilities (labs/computers/sports etc.)
    nearby to museums/galleries etc (ie a pro of being in london)
    nice accommodation (at least for the first years) in a classy area.
    highly-paid jobs (supposedly) freely available for summer work
    year in europe as part of the course (id want to go to germany) sounds VERY cool!
    good nightlife (id expect!) with big clubs etc.

cons:
    crappy 60s architecture
    noise/bustle/pollution/crime of london life
    anonymity of living in a big city/student body
    so many international students (it seemed like 50% or more!!).
    expense
    only guaranteed IC accommodation for the first year
    26% female (arrrrrrrrrrgh!!) on physics course. although hopefully there will be lots of ladies doing bio/med etc. to make up the numbers :confused:
    the physicists there seemed kind of geeky (ah well i suppose thats to be expected!) and shy

summing up i think IC has probably moved from choice #3 to #2 primarily because of its international reputation for excellence, leaving my current preferences thus:

#1 oxford
    #2 IC
    #3 durham

thoughts anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that useful post edders! And good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Thanks for that useful post edders! And good luck.
    well i was given an offer (as was everyone in my group of people) there and then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    well i was given an offer (as was everyone in my group of people) there and then.
    Woweeee, blow them away with their intellect and charm why don't you What was the offer?

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, IC has a fantastic physics course, good choice Plus if you come here, I'm sure you'll soon enough get used to (and really like) the chaotic environment - and you'll have plenty of things to do if you do come to London. As for the 'geekiness' - my brother goes to imperial (electronic engineering) and he found plenty of non-geeky people to hang around with so I wouldn't worry about that Another advantage is that lots of renound companies come searching at imperial to find people for future jobs after they finish their degree!

Sounds like you are likely to be getting an offer - normally when they do those sorts of "Q&A sessions" and tours, it is more to try and persuade you to see that IC is the place for you, rather than seeing if they want you or not. Good luck anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Woweeee, blow them away with their intellect and charm why don't you What was the offer?
    its an unconditional offer as ive already done my alevels

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they always do that. so does bristol. if you get an interview, you're in.

ReputationRep:
    oh oops, just read you already have an offer - no surprise there!

ReputationRep:
    its an unconditional offer as ive already done my alevels
    Oh doh! You can't blame me for forgetting, I'm tired.

ReputationRep:
    hey thanks for the advice lucy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    Yeah, they always do that. so does bristol. if you get an interview, you're in.
    ah ic. you applied last yr elpaw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Ah yes, IC has a fantastic physics course, good choice Plus if you come here, I'm sure you'll soon enough get used to (and really like) the chaotic environment - and you'll have plenty of things to do if you do come to London. As for the 'geekiness' - my brother goes to imperial (electronic engineering) and he found plenty of non-geeky people to hang around with so I wouldn't worry about that Another advantage is that lots of renound companies come searching at imperial to find people for future jobs after they finish their degree!

Sounds like you are likely to be getting an offer - normally when they do those sorts of "Q&A sessions" and tours, it is more to try and persuade you to see that IC is the place for you, rather than seeing if they want you or not. Good luck anyway!
    Rep for you!

ReputationRep:
    Imperials my 1st choice and I'm really scared I'll muck up the interview. Is it true that the interview is nearly all subject/knowledge based?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuz)
    Imperials my 1st choice and I'm really scared I'll muck up the interview. Is it true that the interview is nearly all subject/knowledge based?
    if you read my original post properly youll see the extent of my knowledge of the matter

ReputationRep:
    ah ic. you applied last yr elpaw?
    yes i did apply, they were my insurance choice. i applied for phys with a year in europe (italy)

ReputationRep:
    Rep for you!
    Wow, thanks! You almost doubled my total rep count :eek: Will return the favour when I have some more to give

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Wow, thanks! You almost doubled my total rep count :eek: Will return the favour when I have some more to give
    do you really think ad needs more rep? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    do you really think ad needs more rep? :rolleyes:
    LOL! Gosh, someone's a bit green

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    yes i did apply, they were my insurance choice. i applied for phys with a year in europe (italy)
    i think that is my situation along (oxford 1st IC 2nd) with 5 of the other 6 people that were there lol (#6 being cam #1)

ReputationRep:
    did you need all that maths you learnt?

love Katy ***

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 29, 2003
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.