The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm already at uni - in my first year - and I was being really good, going to the gym every day (to exercise classes, mostly aerobics), but then both the people I went with went home to revise, and motivation dropped, and then I got trapped in essay HELL and decided to consume my own weight in sweets. I'm thinking of starting back at aerobics tomorrow night though.

Oooh, and if I pass my exams, I'm going to Canada next year to study! So I want to be fit by then, so I can impress all the hot snowboarders :smile:
Reply 21
Get all fit for uni. Then drink lotttts of beer.

And lose it all.
I'm trying in vain to get fitter for uni, cos I want to row and I haven't done it for ages. I have no motivation or willpower though :frown:
Reply 23
I had no plans of loosing weight/getting fit before uni, but it happened anyway through me getting a job, as it involved a lot of walking, so the exercise did me good. The beer/alcohol at uni doesn't help tho :frown:
Reply 24
silver~planet
I'm trying in vain to get fitter for uni, cos I want to row and I haven't done it for ages. I have no motivation or willpower though :frown:

Think about all those sexxaay ladies.

Ahem.
See it all seems a great idea in theory, but unless i lived near the gym i wouldn't really work....plus something iv never got?....people pay money to go and only go on those tread mills and bikes...have people forgotten the days when you walk out you house and actually go for a walk, or ride a bike??

In saying this, i did try eating healthly the other week, and for the first time looked at calories and fat etc in food, but there were far too many unhealthy things to eat....so i gave up! lol
Reply 26
Onearmedbandit
Yep I'm doing that :smile: I REALLY want to give myself the best chance of playing the highest standard of football possible for me.
1. University of London team
2. UCL 1st
2. UCL 2nd
3. UCL 3rd
4. Other UCL team
5. UCL Law Faculty team
6. Other team
I'm really hoping for #3 or better :redface: Though this may be a bit optimistic... we'll see :smile:

Also, I want a nice body :p:

So which exactly is #3? UCL 2nd or UCL 3rd? Cos by the looks of things your maths isn't up to scratch exactly is it! :rolleyes:
Willa
So which exactly is #3? UCL 2nd or UCL 3rd? Cos by the looks of things your maths isn't up to scratch exactly is it! :rolleyes:

Nope, but I've never claimed to be good at maths :p: I scared a B at gcse somehow.

But I didn't think anybody would pay close enough attention to spot that, but since you asked, I meant UCL 3rd. :smile:
hhmmmm..

i wanted to get fit for uni, and i achieved it.. but for no reason really!!!

I play in the rugby sevens 1st team and play in the football 2nd team and am in the first team for table tennis.. but didnt really need to get "fit"..

I think the idea of getting "muscley and looking good" may be a beta approach, but there is some1 for every one at uni.. so be your self and enjoy..

_Cr
Reply 29
i can't think of a much better reason to get into shape than going to uni. i've been training 2 years now and am heavily into it, but i took it up the summer b4 uni so i could make a fresh start.
I had low confidence, had barely even kissed a girl and i generally considered myself unattractive . it was hard seeing all my mates pulling and stuff (realy immature **** if you think about it) and just standing there getting slightly more pissed.
So i kicked the drink and started working out. I was a respectable size when i got to uni and was puttting on weight really well. ended up being dumped for a bigger guy, but hell that's life. having a few girl problems at the mo (that's another thread) but the fact is, and it may sound arrogant, i feel no girl is out of my league. in essence, i turned myself around in less than 18 months from insecurity to an inner confidence i know myself to have.
cambridgemuscle
i can't think of a much better reason to get into shape than going to uni. i've been training 2 years now and am heavily into it, but i took it up the summer b4 uni so i could make a fresh start.
I had low confidence, had barely even kissed a girl and i generally considered myself unattractive . it was hard seeing all my mates pulling and stuff (realy immature **** if you think about it) and just standing there getting slightly more pissed.
So i kicked the drink and started working out. I was a respectable size when i got to uni and was puttting on weight really well. ended up being dumped for a bigger guy, but hell that's life. having a few girl problems at the mo (that's another thread) but the fact is, and it may sound arrogant, i feel no girl is out of my league. in essence, i turned myself around in less than 18 months from insecurity to an inner confidence i know myself to have.

thats a good reason..

I work out now just for my self and to maintain a good shape.. although im getting to the stage where im getting picky.. as in, i want to put extra effort into my arms etc..lol

I have no 6pack, but my Pecks are firm, arms big enough and im happy..

thats what it comes down to thou, confidence in ur self and happiness

_Cr
Reply 31
Onearmedbandit
Nope, but I've never claimed to be good at maths :p: I scared a B at gcse somehow.

But I didn't think anybody would pay close enough attention to spot that, but since you asked, I meant UCL 3rd. :smile:

when you spend your mornings trying to solve infinite integrals in quantum theory, you become a little sad like that! :rolleyes:
Reply 32
ponjavic
well for sports it's not too late of course, but difficult, I'd recommend just trying to get regular meetings with a friend running through parks and making it a habit, then you're all set.
I play basketball and yeah it's great fun. Going on camps and stuff rules :biggrin:

I hate the idea of running. For a start I'm awful at it and secondly I would die of shame if I saw anyone I knew with me grasping my breath lol. I think I prefer the idea of playing tennis or something and maybe joining an aerobics class. I've done aerobics before and it was really tiring, but worth it. I used to love basketball in PE, but there was always one girl, who literally scratched you to get the ball off you.
So youd just as much want to play for UCL 1sts as UCL 2nds (they are both number 2) :P:!
Reply 34
yes definately getting fit for uni and the summer.. currently going to gym 3 times a week and gettin tonnnnned :biggrin:
Reply 35
i used to bodybuild but i just ended up realising that it would lead nowhere. its such a ridiculous effort not to mention high cost investing in all those high protein foods and its not rly a healthy way to live if u ask me. i knew a guy who was rly into it and eventually had to stop after years because so much protein had ****ed his kidneys up. ive gone back to boxing lately and im alot more happy knowing that my heart is healthy (i run between 4-5 miles every morning). i spose i dont look as big as i used to but knowing that i can beat most guys that walk around the gym shoving protein shakes into theior mouths is something comforting, and actually having to box gives me alot more confidence in life than being "big" does. ive lost 15 kg mostly in muscle since i stopped building. i can safely say that im alot more capable of defending myself then i ever was back then. not to say bodybuilders are all a bunch of ******s or anything, im just saying its not always a very healthy thing to do, even if it looks good...
I'm going to be living on top of a big hill with lots of steps up to my college... so i'm going to get fit while i'm there (lots of exercise and i've heard the food isn't the best at durham) and enjoy myself now!!
Reply 37
matt4504
Hey,

I start uni this september and basically im really unfit and so i figure between now and then i will try and get fit (fitness first here i come :frown: ) - anyone else trying to do the same? I wanna start Uni as a new me if that makes sense?

Yep I am with you on that one! Though I am trying to bulk up! I am too lean...

I am finding it hard to work out consistantly due to exams, because it takes up time and is tiring.
Reply 38
Ha! Get fit for uni! Once you get here, even if you're a lean mean machine the alcohol, takeaways, catered (unhealthy) food and late night munchies oh and did I say alcohol? will all turn you into Lard People :biggrin: Fresher's 15 people! (pounds)
Reply 39
I'm also currently eating nutella out of the jar with a spoon...[indication of student life to come for thee all]

Latest