The Student Room Group

Good bench for 70kg bodyweight?

Basically ive started to do weights after a long time having not done them and am really starting to enjoy them again. I am 70kg bodyweight and can bench 70kg for 10 reps. Is this any good and how does this compare to others of similar weight?

My goal at the moment is to try lift that to 100kg for 10 reps. Does anyone know how long it would take to see that improvement? Thanks for the help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
good for you would be about 115kg according to this, lets just put you in the 165lbs range because you'll be that weight soon, achievable i would think.
It depends really. If you're a 70kg like I am (ecto, long arms) then I doubt I'll ever in my life bench 100 x 10. But if you're a stocky 70kg @ 5'6 or something, with shorter arms, you're probably capable of alot more. Either way BW is a good lift, but a 30kg jump on the bench is gonna take a long time, unless of course you're a noob at lifting and 70 x 10 is your first ever attempt at the bench, then you could easily put 30kg on it in short time with noob gains.
Reply 3
Transatlanticdrawl_
It depends really. If you're a 70kg like I am (ecto, long arms) then I doubt I'll ever in my life bench 100 x 10. But if you're a stocky 70kg @ 5'6 or something, with shorter arms, you're probably capable of alot more. Either way BW is a good lift, but a 30kg jump on the bench is gonna take a long time, unless of course you're a noob at lifting and 70 x 10 is your first ever attempt at the bench, then you could easily put 30kg on it in short time with noob gains.

why does being an ecto mean you can't get strong? i know that its harder to gain weight, and thus progress will be a lot slower, but surely there are jacked ectos out there?
Sandhu
why does being an ecto mean you can't get strong? i know that its harder to gain weight, and thus progress will be a lot slower, but surely there are jacked ectos out there?

People who are ectos have thin wrists and ankles which correlates roughly with how good one's genetics are. All the people who lift proper big ass weights have big ass body structures to match.
I have quite thin calves cos i do quite a bit of running and bigger quads. Im about 5 ft 10 inches in height and have really broad shoulders and chest is quite big with a slim waist. Im trying to improve my strength so i can pick up rugby again. Also anyone know where to get a good set of squat stands at a reasonable price? I cant believe some are well over £100 when you can get a good bench for £60-£80.
Reply 6
Biggillystyle
I have quite thin calves cos i do quite a bit of running and bigger quads. Im about 5 ft 10 inches in height and have really broad shoulders and chest is quite big with a slim waist. Im trying to improve my strength so i can pick up rugby again. Also anyone know where to get a good set of squat stands at a reasonable price? I cant believe some are well over £100 when you can get a good bench for £60-£80.

join a gym = money better spent imo
I just dont like the idea of being tied down with a membership. Dont get me wrong i dont mind going to a gym but im going to uni soon so theres not really much point in paying for like a yrs membership. Plus i prefer doint it at home cos you can just get up and do weights whenver you want, you havent to wait for anyone to finish and once you have your stuff you dont have to pay. One other question? Why does alot of peopl have an avatar of a guy with blonde hair and a stupid smile?
Biggillystyle
I just dont like the idea of being tied down with a membership. Dont get me wrong i dont mind going to a gym but im going to uni soon so theres not really much point in paying for like a yrs membership. Plus i prefer doint it at home cos you can just get up and do weights whenver you want, you havent to wait for anyone to finish and once you have your stuff you dont have to pay. One other question? Why does alot of peopl have an avatar of a guy with blonde hair and a stupid smile?

There are cheaper, well-stocked gyms out there (often council-owned, like my own) that - for a small sign-up fee - allow you to pay-as-you-go. No lengthy expensive membership contract: pay your £2.50, go in, lift heavy, get out :yep:
Biggillystyle

Go to a gym where you pay monthly with no tie in, ie a real gym not a health club, there will also be other rugger players and lifters in there more than likely so you will get a better training session.

You should have the AV to, that is the smile that built a nation!
Who is it is it just some random guy?!?! And about buying that squat stand no need, I built one today!! LOL took me 6 straight hours and my hands are messed now but its well worth it. Only cost me £30 to build so alot better than £80 to anything up to £200. I am well pleased. Heres a pic if you want to see it...
Biggillystyle
Who is it is it just some random guy?!?! And about buying that squat stand no need, I built one today!! LOL took me 6 straight hours and my hands are messed now but its well worth it. Only cost me £30 to build so alot better than £80 to anything up to £200. I am well pleased. Heres a pic if you want to see it...

Doesn't look great for squatting to me mate.
Sandhu

i'm not kicking myself when I'm down or putting negative effects on myself before I've even persevered, but there will be a definite limit. IE the 100k bench thing, probs never in my lifetime lol, I just know it. It's no sweat though, doesn't mean I won't try, just means I know there's certain lifetime limits, if you get me
Transatlanticdrawl_
i'm not kicking myself when I'm down or putting negative effects on myself before I've even persevered, but there will be a definite limit. IE the 100k bench thing, probs never in my lifetime lol, I just know it. It's no sweat though, doesn't mean I won't try, just means I know there's certain lifetime limits, if you get me

Aiming a bit low with 100kg though mate.
Reply 14
Brotherhood
Aiming a bit low with 100kg though mate.

thik he meant 4 reps

100 for 10 wud be a long term goal for many
What the hell, I'm way under the un-trained average for my weight. I've only done incline bench presses (45degreees) with weights on though, are these harder or something? :confused:
Yeah I meant 100 x 10
It's very difficult to say what 'good' is - compared to serious lifters in your weight class who compete at a high level, you're lifting peanuts, but compared to an untrained individual or someone who's not been lifting long of similar weight it's good. If 100x10 is your aim you've got quite a long way to go, but 70x10 is not anything to be sniffed at in my eyes. I don't bench for that many reps, but I've done 72.5x5 at 70kg and that's comfortably more than anyone I know who doesn't train a decent amount and for longer than me and I'm pretty happy, but since I don't really intend to go beyond getting 100x1 my aims aren't as high as those who want to build serious size or strength.
Reply 18
What's the best programme type with bench press? The OP seems to be testing his maximum with just 10 reps, whereas at the minute I do something like 4 sets/8 reps.
FM08
What's the best programme type with bench press? The OP seems to be testing his maximum with just 10 reps, whereas at the minute I do something like 4 sets/8 reps.

Depends on your goals really

Quick Reply

Latest